1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel predicts rise of the ultra-thins

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Jul 2009.

1. serial_

serial_ New Member

It's funny you mention that. as we speak i'm installing everquest platinum onto my netbook across my wireless network off my HTPC's DVD drive, and I just updated my synaptics drivers.

I guess I don't notice their "pitfalls" the way other people do because they simply just do not affect me. I'm a fan of mapping network drives. My netbook is my desktop's card reader the way my desktop is my netbook's everything-it-doesn't-have.

I don't know where i'd be if I were suddenly smitten with the brain of a normal end-user. So I have to give it to you on that note.

This leaves us with one option: we must exterminate the noobs.

2. leslie

leslie Just me!

Noooooooooooooo!!!!! That would mean I would have to *gulp* get a real job. :waah:

3. serial_

serial_ New Member

I see your point. perhaps we should force them to interbreed and make uber noobs, whose minds we can corrupt and convince to buy crappy hardware in shiny, pretty cases the same way hollywood has convinced the noobs of cinema that Michael Bay isn't a terrible director that ruins lives. YES! IMAGINE IT!

oh wait....

Goddamnit, I forgot that Apple already has that niche covered. DAMN!

4. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Serial, your analogy is flawed

comparing a honda civic or any car for the matter to a motorcycle is like more like comparing a laptop to a pda/smartphone. a netbook would still be a car, just a very cheap one, like a smart car or a golf cart.

5. serial_

serial_ New Member

no a pda/smartphone is like a little electric scooter. The kind you have to stand up on. It kind of does the job, but not really.

6. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

And I guess using the same analagy, the iPhone is an Aston martin (toyota) IQ?

(ironically enough, posted from an iPhone)

7. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Surely ultra thin laptops and netbooks are completely different products...

An ultra thin laptop is just a laptop which is thin, which is of no benefit to the average consumer since (much cheaper) regular laptops are already plenty thin as far as I can make out. I mean, my 2 year old HP dv6330 isn't exactly cumbersome or inconvenient to carry around with me.

And then netbooks are low power devices designed for less intensive computing tasks such as word processing and web browsing on the move, and as such have better battery lives..

As far as I can tell, ultra thin laptops are pretty much already redundant... reserved only for the rich and style conscious.

8. Saivert

Saivert New Member

Netbooks have never been really cheap. Maybe the 7 inch ones was a bit on the cheap side, but really they are overpriced.
    I'd rather buy a regular laptop then. Better performance.
    Only thing going for Atom is the longer battery life if you strictly use it for web surfing. And I guess netbooks were only meant for that (given the name).

9. BlueSeedStorm

BlueSeedStorm New Member

Tags: Add Tags