1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Intel Recalling SandyBridge Chipsets (P67/H67)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cei, 31 Jan 2011.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The reason is that they are publicly traded company. They have to publish and notify investors about everything which can affect stock price - and a product line wide issue which can cut hundreds of millions from profits is such a information.

If they wouldn't do this then they would have fun with stock exchange.

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Well I'm glad I got my last component delivered today - I would be incredibly annoyed if I'd been 3/4 of the way through my build and then been unable to get my CPU. Whilst stopping shipment of Sandy Bridge is overall a good idea, it will bite some people who may be stuck with half-built systems for a month or two until the fixed parts are available.

3. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

wow, got my order in at 2:30pm, glad i did now as ive sold my bits to fund the extra i needed, i dont mind sticking for a little while for an exchange if needed

4. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I think they mean just motherboards with sandy bridge architecture not the CPU's themselves. :D

5. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

"Sandy Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down...."

megadriveguy likes this.
  6. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I would. it's not even like all of the ports are necessarily affected. This defect is said to affect 5-15% of users over a three year span. To my knowledge, there are no reports of any SATA ports failing yet. Just an overwhelming display of idiocy as AMD fanboys rejoice and people who have had to deal with the completely unrelated Asus BIOS issues are now blaming them on this.

I have the option to return my UD4, but why bother? Not going to lose myself a PC for three months on the off chance that a SATA 3gig port that I'm not even using might fail.

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

That's pretty much my standpoint at the moment. Seems like a lot people are reading the first paragraph (if that) of articles and waiting for the end of the world. It's a problem they obviously need to fix and it makes sense to stop making them, but I have to question the severity of this for current owners.

8. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

So stick with ports 0 and 1 for your SSDs, and the other stuff will have devalued drastically anyway. If you're really worried about longevity, the short term stopgap is a PCIe SATA card for the other devices till you get a replacement board offerred.

I'm glad I havent bought sandybridge yet, went for a gfx card instead for the moment, but it's a longer term error, not a first time fail job

9. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Did some further reading on this, it appears to be a statistical bug which crops up in 5% of chips after extreme burn-in tests - the equivalent of years of normal usage. This is the reason why no one's reported any problem with the SATA ports so far, and why no one in the world should be directly affected by this error for at least a couple of years.

10. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Yeah. It's damn stupid of those people to RMA their boards now, too. It's looking like there will be a mobo shortage for a month or two while they re-tool production, so do you really want to be sitting there LGA 1155 paperweight for a month or two, waiting to order a new mobo? Clearly, Intel is planning on doing something about this, so I'd rather go a week with no mobo in April while it gets repaired than go two months with no mobo now.

Of course, many people who bailed out were the same people with good Nehalem rigs who didn't need to upgrade in the first place.

I'm also LOLing at the people who are stopping using their SATA 3gig ports immediately. They aren't broken yet. There's a decent chance they will stop working, but cross that bridge when you get to it. If your SATA 3gig stuff starts to perform poorly, then move it to the 6gig ports or get a PCI sata controller or whatever you want. There's no reason to stop using the 3gig ports because they might fail in a few years. That's like throwing away milk because it will expire next week.

11. Altron

Altron Minimodder

The news report says that there is no chance of it damaging a component. If it fails, it fails, and you can't use those ports any more. But all of the drives will still be fine. If they're expecting 5% of normal users to see problems after 3 years, the chances of some people having SATA 3gig port failures before replacement boards are available is extremely low.

12. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

my thoughts exactly, the only that this will effect is people who choose to ignore the facts, i my self will just my sata 6gbps ports for my boot drve and dvd drive, ive already moved my back up drive into an external caddy earlier today before i sore this.

13. SimonStern

SimonStern Registered Lurker

Is that when the release is or just a guess on their part?

I was about a week or so away from starting my SB build and was considering waiting for the Z boards but I had no idea when they'd be out. Now with this and the possibility of a delay on being able to get a mobo anyway, if April is a firm time frame I just might sit on the money and wait for the Z68 boards.

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

According to Anandtech article, Intel have said that this issue hasn't affected the plans to launch Z68 in Q2.

Quote:
    "I asked Intel if 6-series derivative chipsets were affected by the problem, specifically the Z68 chipset. While all 6-series chipsets are exposed to the issue, the launch schedule for all future derivates remains unaffected. Z68 will continue to launch somewhere in Q2 2011. I would expect to see motherboards around April."

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall

15. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

I for one will be carrying on in my merry way as usual, await my turn to RMA and get a replacement. Its a major problem for Intel but not really for the consumer (me specifically) - hardly a major ball ache to replace a mobo with a nice siney like for like new one - 10 mins max :)

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

You're actually planning on RMAing in April? Do you use your 3Gbps ports?

Assuming my P8P67 isn't DOA when I install it tonight I plan to use it for the next 2-3 years. Even a measly one week when I have a decent 775 backup system isn't worth suffering for a problem which has no effect on me :D

17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

If there is a new revision of boards coming out because of the recall, how long are manufacturers going to support the old (potentially faulty) revision of the board? Will BIOS updates be available? If it died for some other reason in two years, are they going to allow you to RMA a board that they had recalled? There are a number of unknowns in your strategy.

I would do what _Fanatic suggested, not worry about and wait until the dust settles a bit before RMA'ing it.

18. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Although it won't directly affect anyone for sometime, I can't see any resale value with a board with an inherent fault when it comes to upgrade later down the line.

I for one will happily be taking a rev 2 version of my board for nothing when the time comes to RMA - if for no other reason than to secure the resale value of my investment.

19. SimonStern

SimonStern Registered Lurker

Seems newegg has stopped selling most (not all) of the sandy bridge motherboards and all of the processors. There's not even a selection for socket 1155 in advanced for intel processors and searching for 2500K or 2600k comes back with "0 results"

20. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

man its almost a shame amd won't release bulldozer to the end of this year (probably) otherwise they could take great advantage of intel's c**k up :D