1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Intel Recalling SandyBridge Chipsets (P67/H67)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cei, 31 Jan 2011.

1. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

lol :D

2. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Have a look at the front page of there website as its already stated there.... at the moment nothing till they speak to the manufactures.

3. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

Cheers

I have seen that thanks, just wondered if anyone had any OTHER knowledge from speaking to someone from Scan, something which I haven't done MYself yet.. Will be contacting them to see if I can find more info sometime.

4. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

Just have a look at who pays for the big adverts, they win the awards.

5. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

Latest status.
    So this is what is happening so far.
    Intel say there is a problem, they then quarantine all stock to reduce potential future liability.
    All the UK distributors then freeze all their stock.
    Thus no retailer can now buy a H67 or P67 motherboard.
    Once Intel decide what compensation they will cover to the board manufactures, distributors and then system builders, they will then decide to release the held stock or to destroy and wait until the end of February fix occurs.

The retailers may still have stock and they may decide to sell, although the distributors are not offering refunds yet or compensation for the builds that have been sold, or used in systems.

So that’s where we are, Scan, ebuyer etc.. are all in the same boat, until Intel decide what they will cover they will have nothing to tell.

6. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

I find it funny how people feel sorry for us fools who bought too early. Maybe I am a minority but I have been sitting here thinking 'damn, thank god I bought mine already - waiting till April (the likely time there will be enough boards) would suck!!' My friend is already complaining he has to delay getting his new build because of this - especially as new game releases this month and he wanted a high end PC for it.

I have a new PC that works great and its only flaw is I can't use the SATA II slots....given that I have 4 SATA III slots this is irrelevant to me, guess I am lucky I don't use many SATA devices (just a DVD Drive and 1 HDD) so I am totally unaffected be the defect and would be real pissed if I could not get a board now for a build.

The people I feel real sorry for though are those that did buy early and found that by bad luck their mobo was actually DOA - because now they have all the parts but cannot get the mobo replaced!

7. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

i mentioned the exact same thing to my fiancee this morning! i told her shes one of the lucky few that gets to experience the power of the 2500k until april.

8. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

You charmer ;)

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i recieved an email from intel yesterday, recommending that sales of boards with 6 series and c200 series support chips be stopped until end of February.

10. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

SCANS LATEST UPDATE

Sandy Bridge Important Accouncement

We have just had Important Update information from Intel, Asus, Msi and Gigabyte 16:30Hrs Today - 01/02/11.

This is an agreement Scan has reached with Intel/Asus/Msi & Gigabyte and is not for the time being a general to all vendors. We suggest you check with your Vendor/Supplier.

All of the above parties have agreed on a intermediate solution to the Sandybridge problem.

As there is No Immediate Danger/Fault and as this fault is likely to affect a small number of boards over time and Replacement Stock will Not be available until realistically in April/May, all the parties above have Guaranteed Direct Swap Out of all P67/H67 Boards bought from Scan should you the end user wish to do so at a later date.

Based on this Swap Out Guarantee We have decided to make all P67/H67 Boards available for sale again.

The Decision to buy and use still lies upon you the end user customer.

11. Wicked_Sludge

wow, ballsy move from scan.

still no x67 chips on newegg. i guess more UK based folks will get to enjoy sandy bridge after all :D

12. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

That is only because i guess the listed mobo board makers are going to back up the recall on there specific boards.....

13. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

So what happens when in 18+ months time your board goes faulty and you apply to Scan for a "swap-out".
    Guess what - the board model is no longer available so where do we go.
    Along the contentious "market value" refund system?

The UK Sale of Goods Act clearly states that goods bought new must be free from defects including minor defects. Intel have acknowledged there is a defect in the chipset which may cause problems.
    Sending the board back is a no brainer.

14. Wicked_Sludge

why would you wait that long to send the board back?

i dont personally plan on waiting for the defect to show its ugly head before i RMA. my board will be going back as soon as replacement parts are in.

15. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

16. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

My guess would be that the mobo manufactures will not offer swap outs for ever and ever, there will be a time limit applied at some point likely when they stop making that particular board model as you state.

Although the shop you buy it from is UK based, not all board makers are...the free replacements are on offer on behalf of the board makers through the UK retailer, it will be more trouble than worth not to take up the offer sooner than having the hassle of arguing the SOG acts later in 18 months time with a retailer..

17. murraynt

murraynt Modder

So am I correct in saying that I will be sent out a new one. Then i send mine back?

18. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I think it will probably be the other way round although with proof of purchase, I don't see any reason why it couldn't be as you describe.

Hang on...I think that whomever is managing the logistics (manufacturer or retailer) of this will want to send you another board and collect the old one at the same time, otherwise they would have to cover two lots of shipping per customer. It makes more sense.

19. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

That would be the fairest option for all parties to avoid the buyer going without for a few days/weeks...not sure if all retailers would do that this way...:blah:

20. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I live in Ireland and I bought from Scan. I wounder how that will work :confused: