1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel reports best quarter revenue ever

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jul 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I do hope it's an industry upturn and not exclusive to just Intel. God, they could all use some good news like this!

3. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

This is not neccesarily a Good Thing for the industry, we need AMD and Via to be gaining market share, rather than Intel posting greater profits. They control too much of the market, and tech is being limited by Intel's dominance.

This is probably just due to upgrading with new OS's, anyway.

4. SoulRider

SoulRider What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure AMD's desktop CPU parts will be considered by businesses because they are marginally cheaper but with companies running so much software and Intels current performance leadership, many businesses will skip AMD this time round. I know of 3 companies I support that are switching from a mixed AMD/Intel enviroment to a pure Intel environment on this round of OS upgrades, the other comapnies I support are Intel only already on Desktop. Server environment is a different story, I see more AMD servers than Intel, but thats just the trends I personally see through work.

5. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Total revenue up 34%.
    Operating income up 177%.
    Net income up 175%.

Yeah. But are they happy...?

6. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Paul Otellini is probably giggling away.

7. crazyceo

Yeah let's hope they all have a small penis including the women.

8. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

Good job Intel. Now use your awesome amount of cash to make some more monster CPU's!

9. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

AMD should have sued them for moar!!

10. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Well, since they are raking it in hand over fist, with something like $4billion in profit, why not give the consumers greater value for their money! Or at least do something with the money to help make the world a better place.

11. crazyceo

I think that's how they've made so much money. They are offering greater value for money than the competition. As for making the world a better place, let's just stick to making CPU's since they are making the world a better place already.

12. Jamerio

Jamerio What's a Dremel?

I'm not surprised with their rip off tactics.

After hearing they are still going to chage a fortune for the upcoming i7-970 "because they can" I have just spent my 5k rendering budget on AMD 1090T hardware :)

So long Intel and good riddance to your corrupt chipset/ram requirements.
    Oh and good luck with trying to oust out the GPU market with your ray tracing BS.

What goes around comes around, all this crappy karma you've been building will come back to haunt you soon enough.

13. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

Looks like this is what they're doing by bringing sandy bridge forward and increasing 32nm production...

14. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

$4,000,000,000? Hah! I expected more from a monopoly of such potential. Must be lessening the force they're putting on AMD's back to get the FCC off of theirs!

Damn good CPU's though. Still very alarming from a consumer standpoint. AMD needs to step up their game.

15. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Sat here with 2 awesome Intel CPU's, go Intel! :D

16. crazyceo

You should have bought Intel so your rig gets a longer lifespan than yesterday! (Hasn't the 1090T already been labelled as completely useless against an Intel Quad Core?)

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Aug 2010
  17. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Maybe they could invest in PC gaming abit more, buy a few Pc exclusives with all that profit. yeah tight.

18. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Amds problem isnt the amount of cores but the fact that the are a manufactoring process behind intel (which should mean lower costs per wafer) and amds aging uarch , which has alot lower IPC than intels.
    I hope Amds Fusion cpus and Bulldozer are excellent for their sake.

19. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

Wow, what? The new Phenom II X6s perform as well as the i7 920/930s if not better, and start at around $100 less than their Intel counterparts. Quit trolling.

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

He's probably talking about the Bit-Tech review which showed it being worse than the i7-930 overall. Worse in gaming, a bit less or even in workstation tasks. Cinebench, for example, saw it being better than a 930 at stock, but worse with each one overclocked. Most other tests just saw it worse.

However, there was no quad core even tested there. Other sites such as Tom's Hardware tested the i5-750 against it and found the 1090T being superior in productivity tasks, and indeed being better than the 920/930 in some cases. Tom's did agree that the 1090T is indeed worse than a quad core in gaming, actually worse than the X4 as well, but Jamerio said he was making a workstation so gaming performance is pointless to him. To state that the 1090T is worse than a quad core for workstations is indeed quite trollish.

Also, saying that going Intel for a longer lifespan is laughable at best. It is quite well known that 1366 and 1156 are done, there will be a new and completely non-compatable socket coming out next year completely preventing the option for later processor releases (aside from the final refreshes due this month). AMD however has a current history of AM2/AM3 compatablity and upgradability which could be continued to AM4 or whatever it is called. Please realize that this is in no way guaranteed, but it is a better chance than the certainly doomed Intel sockets.

Tags: Add Tags