1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel reports best quarter revenue ever

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jul 2010.

1. Jamerio

Jamerio What's a Dremel?

I think you're comparing the average users needs with mine.

I already told you the 1090T is almost identical to the i7 930 upto to around the 3.8 GHZ mark in 3D rendering/threaded apps (which is all I care about).
    The i7 930 is only a bit faster than it when you start hitting high clock (4+GHZ) speeds, of which I don't want to go to because they are on so long.

Secondly, the money I save on RAM and MOTHERBAORDS has allowed me to buy more units with the 1090. I was waiting for Intel to lower the price of the i7 980 or to see what the i7 970 is price wise, but its not that much cheaper.

If I build one PC with an i7 980x its costing me nearly 3 times the money a single 1090 pc, a 1090 is getting me around 20k in cinbench R10 32 bit with a clock speed I would be comfy with, the 980x was getting around 24k as stock around 30k in comfy OC mode.

Now, when you factor is my 1090T pc's are coming in at around £500 (GPU is not important) a pop and a single 980x pc was coming in at £1500, it means.....

3x20k = 60k in CB for every 3 1090 pc's.

So I'm essentially getting TWICE the overall performance of the 980x for the same money. Yes it costs more to run, but I just bath less :)

I hope that clears it up my choice, as you will see, its actually a really smart choice if you think about the big picture.

If you have a few k to spend on a rendering setup, buying the 980x will ironically provide the lowest amount of overall power. As an individual work station its king, I don't deny, but for 1500 pounds, I'm getting TWICE the rendering power of a single 980x PC, which shows how badly Intel have priced the chip.

They are only doing it becaue a small % of the market has no need for anything above a i7 930 and the rest will have no other choice but to pay the money if they want something worthwhile.

Even an overclocked i7 930 is reaching near stock i7 980x speeds.
    The CPU is HIDEOUSLY overpriced. They need to slash it down to the £400 price mark to coincide the performace gains it offers over the i7 930.

They don't Intel price at how tight they can squeeze the market.

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Intel's bleeding edge cpus cost.

Remember how much the Q6600 costed originally?

3. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

How much was the Q6600 when it was cheapest? (I would imagine the price has gone up since LGA1366/1156 became the standard)

4. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I picked my Q6600 for £100 at that time through an Aria special. With all Intels more popular CPU's they can't be blamed as greedy since they always reduce the prices. Even in recent times that's evident with the i3 530, i5 750, i7 920/930.

So you even with the AMD fanbois trying to make some kind of point, you have nothing of any substance to bring to this topic. You can't convince anyone to buy an AMD rig based on bang per buck since you lose on every level now.

5. crazyceo

and how is yours and every other AMD post in this INTEL topic not trolling?

6. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

In the region of $220? Not too sure about that.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

There is a simple reason behind Intels current financial success, its Companies that skipped vista upgrading to Windows 7 and buying new Pcs to be able to run it, many companies sitll only consider Intel Cpus no matter what Amd does.

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Quite simply, they have some sort of reason or facts or proof. Jamerio, for example, has given quite an interesting description of why he decided on a 1090T workstation and how it ends up being the most bang for the buck in a multiple workstation environment due to the prices of other components. He has brought quite a bit of substance to this topic and made quite the point and has convinced me that if I need a workstation the 1090T is a wise investment indeed.

Surprisingly enough, a thread about Intel does not mean people are only allowed to gather and blow Intel's "horn" all day. You are equally entitled to go to the thread about AMD's quarterly losses and post there. The trick to not trolling is thinking before you type and not spouting unfounded nonsense such as your little "Hasn't the 1090T already been labelled as completely useless against an Intel Quad Core?".

TheMusician likes this.
  9. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

only cpus I will use from amd is AMD Athlon II x2 only as the phenoms just kick out to much heat I had to replace an heat sink two times as the first one could not displace the heat when under load (forget using the stock heat sink as I know it could not handle it to begin with)

high end systems Intel is the way the x6 runs the same speed as an i7 when clocked at same speeds (if you can max all the cores out), if its single threaded i7 wins normally or most other tasks (as bit tech and other sites have shown)

I norm get amd based systems as the features that come with the motherboards and the 3ghz Athlon II x2 are more then enough for any normal user even for playing games with as well (and an Video card is sold with the system )

10. crazyceo

So sorry, I should have brought the apples with me:-

"As a result, the X6 1090T BE really struggles to keep up with the similarly priced Intel Core i7-930, which has was noticeably faster in six of our eight benchmarks thanks to its far more modern Nehalem architecture. The only exception to this was our Cinebench and WPrime tests, indicating that the X6 1090T BE may be worth considering for a low cost graphics workstation. However, even then, the i7-930 retook pole position when both CPUs were overclocked to their air-cooled maximum frequency.

Ultimately, despite being a good step forward for AMD, the i7-930 still remains our first choice CPU in the £200-£250 price range. Only if you have a compatible AMD motherboard and just want to upgrade the CPU should you look to buy the Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition."

Since the chap above had apparently spent £5000 on the rig, it can't be classed as a "low cost graphics workstation" Therefore, his explanation was (how did I put it earlier) ah yes, completely useless.

Nice well thought out and polite reply though, shame it didn't have any of the substance. Maybe next time you can think a little harder.

Oh and go here for the rest of the review:-

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/04/27/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-black-edition/10

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Well, application wise if you honestly need 6 cores, it's a damn sight cheaper than the 980X.

12. crwl

crwl What's a Dremel?

100% agree

13. crwl

crwl What's a Dremel?

14. crazyceo

or maybe just stick to the Bit-tech.net review for only review that really matters!

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I'm quite aware of the Bit-Tech review, you'll notice I linked it earlier. There are situations in which the 1090T surpassed the 930. Non-overclocked or mildly overclocked workstation tasks still saw the 1090T passing up the 930. You might also notice that the X6 reviews were some of the most controversial ones Bit-Tech has produced, the results were vastly different from those found by several other respected review sites. Now, I'm a big fan of Bit-Tech and read them first, but when so many other sites disagree I'm tempted to listen to them instead. Try checking the Tom's Hardware review or the Guru3D review or perhaps the Overclocker's Club review.

Also, please re-read Jamerio's post. He actually doesn't have one PC that costs 5k, I'm not sure that's even possible with an AMD system, but rather multiple PCs. A cluster of sorts I assume. In such a case, each workstation is indeed "low cost". Jamerio, just how many workstations did you manage to purchase, anyway?

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

While we appreciate your patronage CrazyCEO, please think about the tone of your replies more. This is not the first time I've had complaints and to remove flameworthy parts of your posts.

There's a difference between discussion, opinion and calling people stupid. The latter we don't tolerate.

Tags: Add Tags