1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Sandy Bridge: Details of the next gen

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 21 Apr 2010.

1. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Hmmm...... AMD win opportunity?

2. Bemark

Bemark What's a Dremel?

... providing some 2Gbit/s of bandwidth.

It may be worth mentioning, that 2Gbit/s = 250MB/s of bandwidth, not even sufficient for 1xSATA2 port. Could this be 2GB/s of bandwidth?

3. BrightCandle

BrightCandle What's a Dremel?

By that point I was expecting to see 12 core chips coming out. 4 and 6 does not sound like its going to be a compelling upgrade unless they manage to get a lot more clock speed out of the chips.

As to why the motherboard has changed - One of the consequences of the performance boost of moving more things to the CPU is that the socket has to change more frequently. When DDR4 becomes common we'll all need new motherboards and CPUs. When PCI-E changes version we need a new MB+CPU etc etc. With the benefits of extra speed and reduced latency comes the unfortunately consequence that we can't just upgrade the motherboard. But then in all honesty very few people did this anyway.

Its all normal for the industry, nothing has changed. It has always been the case that the socket changes every year or two. AMD on the other hand has been in deep financial mess and between acquiring ATI and money problems hasn't released a new micro architecture in quite some time. Not surprisingly the socket has therefore remained the same.

4. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Believe it or not i was considering and update from my Q6600. But im actually quite happy with what these sockets mean for me. I need a new gfx card atm anyway and rather fancy a decent sized ssd somewhere in the future. So for me my Q6600 running at 3.6ghz will be fine till these new platforms come out. Its hardly like its slow.

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Same.
    This Q6600 is now the CPU I kept longer on a main PC. And just dont feel the need to upgrade.
    Legendary CPU!

6. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

s775 got EOL a while back, and its way too old to build upon now.

It doesn't matter anyway, it will only annoy people who always want the best.
    I can't see an i7 @ 4Ghz having trouble with anything for years.
    Most games dont even utilize quads atm.

7. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I was waiting for someone to start talking sh!te.

Didn't have to wait very long!

8. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Literally waiting? I know your an Intel fanboy troll but damn, thats dedication dude.

9. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

My Q6600 will hold until the coming of this awesome beast with quad-channel DDR3... It just makes me think in how much space will the cpu occupy on the motherboard because now it has 2011 pins... The Q6600 is still faster than the Core i3 540, except for copy/read from memory, just OC' the Q6600 and it will hold nicely... Sandybridge is the architecture to get, or AMD's Bulldozer

10. crazyceo

Right back at ya babe!

11. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

I think Intel built the i7 too well for their own good.
    Even Q66xx is still an amazing performer. The trend in upgrading pc's is shifting from platform based to peripheral-based upgrades; SSD's, GPU's, etc.

12. somedude1234

somedude1234 What's a Dremel?

People complain about a new socket every time one comes out. Intel and AMD do not create a new socket just to force everyone to purchase a new motherboard when a new chip comes out. They are adding features which REQUIRE a new socket.

Try to think of this from a business perspective:
    1. How many CPUs does Intel sell which are purchased by people who build their own systems, compared to the number that they move through the likes of HP, Dell, Acer, etc.?
    2. Of the systems that are sold to those who build their own systems (or whitebox vendors), how many are sold as "CPU Only" upgrades which are installed into existing motherboards?

The simple fact is that the vast majority of new CPU sales are paired with a new motherboard, meaning that a new socket is irrelevant to the vast majority of the market.

Further, I'd rather get all of the new features that a new socket provides. What good is the latest and greatest processing core if you can't take advantage of it due to lack of memory and IO bandwidth?

13. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Still waiting for a reason to upgrade my current system. In fact i purchased a laptop with a Core i3 CPU and dedicated graphics recently that is more than capable of doing everything i need it to do, including gaming to a decent standard, plus blu-ray playback.

14. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

While it does seem a bit annoying changing to new sockets, this is the price we pay for tech moving at the speed it is.

15. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

*sigh* does this mean they will discontinue the existing socket line and stop making CPU's for them?
    Suddently makes my i5-750 upgrade look a little pointless. I really wish they wouldn't change sockets so soon.

AMD did this with 754 and 939 a few years back and peed everyone off. Did Intel not learn from that mistake?

16. jvjh666

jvjh666 Stillnomodder

Isn't the answer obvious enough LOL...

17. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I asked a question, that's all. No need to be rude. Intel's products may have been great for a long time now, but their marketing is shockingly awful. Just wondered if maybe AMD might have an opportunity here.

18. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

I think they should open an intel "fashion & accessory" store in every major city. They could have a "this season" section where only the supercool people get to hang out and talk to the salesman, and call him darling while he holds their platinum credit cards behind the counter and they just pick up and walk out with whatever they please. Then there could be a seperate "last season" section for the I7's that's obviously seperate from the "it crowd" department. This would be aimed at the middle classes who want to be seen to shop in the same place as the elite but just don't make the cut. Finally anyone looking to buy a three season old chip and mobo would have to go to the overstock/ tkmax store about 30 miles into the country, beside the AMD store. The people who shop here obviously are not attractive customers and need to be hidden from the rest tho they do stand the best chance of being happy as they are completely unaware of fashion and vicious trends of the highstreet and they get to meet and hang out with the chilled out AMD community

19. crazyceo

And the marketing of AMD's hot new products that will kick Intel's ass that's been coming every quarter for the past 5 years, isn't bad marketing?

Intel haven't badly marketed anything here and haven't for a very long time. When they've said their product will do something, it tends to do it well.

AMD don't have the luxury to claim that since every market they put up against Intel is convincingly hammered by Intel.

A change of socket every 2 to 3 years isn't a problem. It only becomes a problem if the replacing socket is crap, which AMD don't seem to get the hang of.

20. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I've yet to see an AMD product marketed as something that will "kick Intel's ass" and regardless, not everything they (AMD) produce is not convincingly hammered by Intel.

And a change of socket is usually a bad thing because it necessitates platform upgrades, which ultimately makes life more pricey for us (consumers in general).

Tags: Add Tags