1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Sandy Bridge: Details of the next gen

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 21 Apr 2010.

1. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Yes it usually is a bad experience when AMD do it.

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

"It?" What "it?"

3. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

It's completly a money making racket for intel and their partners. Intel could easily design their sockets for forward compatability but they don't bother. In the enthusiast market (the only market who upgrade their rig continuously rather than replace it every 5 years) this is a lucrative business model while they have no real competition in the top end market. AMD chips may be inferior but they do what they are designed for.... gaming and general use. As technology advances and games get more hungry you can evolve your rig over time. This is a good business model from creating a customer base point of view while they chip away at the areas where they are weak. The upcoming phenom x6 is a good example because these should improve AMD chips multi tasking abilities while dropping directly into an 18 month old mobo. If the new 1090t is comparable to the i7 930 then happy days cos my "old" rig is now on par with intels current most popular enthusiast level entry for half the price if u include all relevant incompatability costs. If u want to be the top folder or require bucketloads of power for whatever business you in then intel are great but you pay dearly to stay current. If it's a standard home pc or a gaming rig then I'd prefer an AMD setup. It'll be pretty much as good as an intel rig for these purposes and you can step up harware as required. New tech is available to all rigs. What will be interesting to see will be if bulldozer (when it arrives) does sucessfully enter the high end market how intel react, if they will change their ethos on upgrades.

Last edited: 23 Apr 2010
  4. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

I think the hardware is moving faster than software, as such my S775 E6600 @ 3.4ghz and my P5Q mobo will be sufficient to power my games and software for the next year anyway...

5. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

I''ve burnt me toast.

6. crwl

crwl What's a Dremel?

Q6600 chip for me is the best from intel side

7. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

This is bad. Very bad

Tags: Add Tags