1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Sandy Bridge Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 3 Jan 2011.

1. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Running a S775 Q9650 @ 4.0Ghz and a HD 5870 there is absolutely no reason to upgrade to this new architecture. Yeah it's faster but I don't think you'd notice it in a few rounds of COD Black Ops.

I was considering buying a HD 6970 too but thats not much of a performance improvement either.

Looks like my next upgrade will be at the end of 2011 with new high end i7 processors and 32nm GFX cards.

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

3. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

It's going to be a mini powerhouse, I'm planning to put a GTX570 inside.

4. sp0rk

sp0rk What's a Dremel?

When does Bit-Tech anticipate to publish the new buyers guide? Interested to see how this fits into it, i'm holding off building a PC until I know whats happening with prices!

5. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

The review states that bit-tech can't see a reason to buy the 2400.

I can.

If you want to take advantage of the onboard graphics, then you need the H series motherboard. Sticking a 2500K in an H series mobo means paying money for an unlocked multiplier and then not using it.

HTPC/media PC builders surely should be thinking 2400 + H67 = WIN

Plus, there is an error on the overclocking bit. The text states overclocking to 4.5GHz but the guide starts with "How to overclock an i5 2600k to 3.5GHz".

6. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I'm surprised that even the i5-2400 puts in a higher average frame rate in Crysis than any processors before :O

I'm more tempted than ever to upgrade from my E8400 and 8800GTX, but they can still play games fine... :S

7. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Yeah, its just the placement of the heatsinks on the Asus board that clashed with the Fenrir mounting bracket. Having said that its only the AMD lugs of the bracket that they clashed with so you could chop them off and it should fit.

Very soon, reviews are written, just need editing and pictures adding.

Yes. Silly isn't it.

8. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

If you want overclocking and backup graphics solution, wait for Z68.

9. brummie

brummie brummie

I will wait until 2012 to upgrade, I always try and adopt midway through the cycle, mean I miss bugs and get better hardware. impressive though. not worth it for me as got a good icore 7 rig last summer.

10. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Probably sometime next week. We're not back at our desks till tomorrow and it'll take a little while to debate and write it given all the changes that will need to be made. Blame Intel for scheduling a major release in the holidays.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Then you buy an £96 2100! ;) HTPC doesn't need a quad core, and it still has the Quick Transcode do-dar and latest video decoding tech in there.

Yea, Intel in its infinite wisdom pulled the NDA forward 4 days from 6th to 2nd at 9pm PST, on Friday 31st December! Apparently no one has heard of Christmas or New Year at Intel, and thinks it's OK to make an NDA change TWO days before launch. :miffed: :duh:

Thank Clive and James for pulling together this mammoth article in such short notice.

12. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Quite amazing to be able to get 4.9ghz as the air cooled maximum. And the power draw is still very low, it also beats the 980x in some cases. I think intel have a winner.

13. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Thanks for the clarification Bindi.

I hadn't seen the 2100, was only looking at the CPU's you reviewed :duh:

And Kudos to Clive and James definately. Please dont think I was "moaning" about errors in the text. I was "proof reading" for you :p

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Tis fine! :p

15. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Perhaps Intel did that to irritate the sites which were all leaking info left and right?

16. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

tinytomlogan on OC3D had the K CPU's running a couple of Mhz short of 5Ghz with the Noctua NH-D14. Though he was using some rather high voltages. Still, 100% stable and low temps, so I'm not sure whether I would mind running those voltages 24/7 even though he strongly recommends not to do that. Oh well. Just a matter of time, before some better mobos come out and the 5Ghz replaces the old 4 as the new standard for OC on air.

17. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Wow but may as well wait for the socket R(2011)

18. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Anyone have an idea of when the new Sandy Bridge range will be arriving at retailers?

I just put an order in for i7 950 and Asus X58, but now I'm thinking about cancelling it...

19. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I wonder if Intel has new Atoms or low-voltage parts planned. If they haven't AMD is about to run away with the ball with their fusion APUs.

20. Pughy

Pughy Fancy a game of Starcraft?

Retailers should already have the parts in stock and they should go on sale this sunday. I think I'd be a wise idea to cancel that order and wait for prices of SB. If you don't think its worth it just re-order.

Tags: Add Tags