1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Sandy Bridge Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 3 Jan 2011.

1. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Who reckons we'll see some clever trickery from the motherboard manufacturers to both overclock AND use the graphics in a K chip?

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

In 20 years time we'll reminisce about Sandybridge we will.

Remember the day? 4.8ghz on air... we thought it was amazing.

From our 500ghz, 24 thread plastic cpus with 2terabytes of ram, 2 petabyte ssd laptop. We'll probably be doing it over MSN too...

3. sharpethunder

sharpethunder What's a Dremel?

I am going to wait for the high end cpu from intel at the moment i have 965 i7 that running at 4.7ghz so i have no need to upgrade but i am happy i bought it when they first got released. i think the higher end stuff will be great chips but it will be intesting what ARM bring out for desktops and AMD

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Totally agree, For current Core i users, I believe this CPU won't be much of an upgrade, even if no one overclock their current Core i CPU. Sure Sandy Bridge is faster... but what REALLY pushes the CPU currently. I highly doubt that we even push a Core 2 Quad Q6xxx series. Sure, encoding/converting does benefit from a faster CPU, unless we use GPU powered encoding/converting software. But, who here really does this daily (using a program which uses the CPU), to a point where 5-6min difference maters. Windows won't boot faster, your programs won't go faster.. even a SSD is still bottleneck our computers. Also, games are FAR from pushing our CPU.

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

And we'll probably still be asking

"Can it play Crysis?" :D

6. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

What I am looking for in the new hardware is the snap factor. The point from click to it running. Cause at current my sisters i5 laptop can open firefox faster than my Q6600 and I feel like that tech is getting somewhat dated. I usually wait till the hardware has been out awhile and built my current rig about when it was mid line to being dated. I really have not built cutting edge right away because it was really pricey to do that. But with these CPU's pushing some excellent prices at launch I feel like I could get away with a top of the line PC really cheaply. I would build with the i7 2600K personally, just for the fact that I do not upgrade but once every 3-4 years. And the little extra now pushes that rig a bit further down the road, at least thats how I figure it.

7. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

If you already have a Core i7 920 930 950 then there is no reason to upgrade unless you got extra cash laying around. If you own a AMD anything well you may wanna switch to the Darkside of the force. The high performance low energy consumption is to good to pass up as long as the prices stay right where they are.
    I really don't see AMD beating Intel as rumors of their new line-up still can't beat a Core i7 950

8. randis1981

randis1981 What's a Dremel?

I want a fair fight between the 980X to all s level, with new processors from Intel, On water: 4.72GHz (23 x 205MHz)

9. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

10. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I'm confused, (easily done I'll admit) but how has jrs77 made a fool of himself?

We all know from reading this (fine) article that the Sandy Bridge chips are 32nm, and that the Processor Graphics are DX 10.1.

The link to HWBOT, (and their subsequent link) clearly shows CPU-Z having them as 45nm and DX 11. Which is wrong. Which therefore surely throws at least some doubt on the validity of any other information there. Why is pointing that out foolish?

HD2000 / HD3000 - I haven't a clue. I just don't see where the term 'fool' is justified...

11. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

imo, Intel has made some strange trade-offs here - better on-board graphics in the series most likely to have a discrete card added? No Quick-Sync if you're not using on-board? For AMD's sake, I hope there is something of a rebellion against what seem to be some stupid choices Intel has made.

Plus, they're continuing their relentless drive toward utterly confusing everyone. I really dislike what they've done with the K series. I guess it's something that there is OCing to be had, but multiplier-only? Maybe there are huge advantages to moving the clock generator on-die, but multiplier-only OCing is brutish. A refined gentleman such as myself wants to spend hours wrist-deep in the BIOS (or UEFI, in this strange new future) tweaking the base clock a MHz at a time, and agonizing if I'm better off to go 231x13 or 215x14. At any rate, what I've seen so far has been impressive (what I've managed to keep straight in my head, at least.) From what I've seen (elsewhere, at least, don't recall seeing it here) the LGA2011 should be much more interesting for the average enthusiast. At least, the enthusiast with cash to burn. Top of the line is rumored to be $999, right there with the 980X. Until I have a money pile like Scrooge McDuck, a proc would have to perform acts of Mankz-level filthiness on me before I would even think about busting out my wallet.

Please, AMD, show us all you're not the kid in the helmet with Bulldozer/Bobcat! Even for a fanboy such as myself, it's getting a bit hard to get over the "That's so good for a special processor like you!" talk we've been doing since Conroe was released (what was that? Four years ago now?)

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Correct, yet the i7 2600K is on par/beats the i7 950 / 980, at a lower pricepoint (and half the waste heat)
    So the fastest gaming CPU now has built-in-graphics...that slow the system down when you use the (inevitable) stand-alone Graphics Card.
    Darn...I've been waiting for so long, can't wait till ANOTHER fall before upgrading.

13. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Wouldn't a fair fight also alow sandybridge watercooling too though?

TBH, Sandybridge looks like a no brainer to anyone who doesn't have a fairly recent build, but, meanwhile, I can't really see me giving up on my Phenom II 955, which, I bought for only £95 new. Maybe if there are some seriously cpu limited games in the next year.

I feel a bit sorry for AMD reading this article and many others around the web. It seems Bulldozer better be special. They are also risking a big architecture change. Not through Fanboism or anything, but chance really; I've never owned a Intel powered machine. The chances of that fact remaining true seem to be slimming in the future for AMD. If Bulldozer doesn't take some names, it's going to be Intel for next build.

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

(shudder) :worried:

15. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Nice article, it looks like the 2500 is great value for those building a new system from scratch, especially if you can pick up a cheap motherboard for around £80-£90. Nice power consumption figures too.

I think it could be a good year for the CPU/APU, but i might be looking for a new netbook before i upgrade my main system anytime soon.

16. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

17. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Eight full cores - no sharing of FPUs and such, but eight true full cores - 20MB of shared L3 cache, and quad channel DDR3 memory on a single 32nm process die, and with clock rates similar to the quad-core Sandy Bridge:jawdrop:

Oh ya bring the rain

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

19. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Does the onboard graphic power gattle...... I.e use onboard for browsing and dedicated for gaming???? I've heard lots chat about this over the years but does it finally work????

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

there's nVidia Optimus tech for laptops.

nothing for desktop at all currently :( imagine a 50w idling gaming machine, it can rival my NAS!

Tags: Add Tags