1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel settles AMD court case, pays $1.25 billion

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 12 Nov 2009.

1. Loot3r

Loot3r What's a Dremel?

emagine you knew about this 24 hours before it happened, i would evest everyting i had!

2. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

3. telemetry

telemetry What's a Dremel?

well..well..well......I feel gutted that I have an intel chip now. I hate these kind of underhand tactics and all to enable Intel to monopolise the market and make sure we DON'T get a good deal because they have AMD to compete with.

I really think this will hurt intel as I know a lot of people will feel very negatively about what they tried to do to AMD. We can't blame the guys in the research and development labs at Intel as I'm sure they knew very little about the corporate stuff but I'm sure they feel negatively about what their company has been up to.

I'm just surprised that intel could behave in this duplicitous way. It's like the Mafia are running Intel. WTF?>

4. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

this is fantastic, as it will allow for AMD to be able to expand and begin to compete with Intel and have more towards R&D and so on. Cant wait... :)

5. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

The anti business practices were real.

Back in the hey day when AMD processors actually DID compete with Intel on both performance and price. Intel strong armed the personal computer market by threatening to withhold bulk pricing oh delay shipments if they also purchased AMD chips. This meant that makers like DELL, IBM, HP etc had to essentially boycott AMD or they wouldn't be competitive.

This isn't sour grapes, or losing a fair fight. Intel had the capital and market share to stiff arm the market.

6. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

So, AMD has won? Just one more thing: I cant wait to see my Itel CPU and my Intel Mainboard to die in THE SAME time in some hot day so then I can try a new AMD system:clap:

7. metarinka

8. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

While I think this is a win for AMD, and a good way of "working it out". I can't help but think that this also helps both Intel, and AMD by keeping it fair between them, and not setting a precedent for other chip makers to have a better ground to raise the same concerns.

9. Validus

Validus What's a Dremel?

Sorry... Pulled out the soap box for a moment.

I do remember that, and had forgotten it when posting my rant. Thanks for the reminder.

10. fatty beef

fatty beef State Side

Its not that AMD won or that Intel lost. It means that we will hopefully get a more competitive enviornment that will ensure fair prices and drive innovation forward because now both companies are starting with a clean slate and should be able to compete head to head rather than have one strong arm the other out. Which is why capitolism and competition are a beautiful thing for customers like us contridicting what most people here in the states think. I bet if the US government was running Intel we would never have these problems : )

*clearly sarcasm*

Cheers.

11. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

Surely a clever move by Intel. Intel needs ATI's experiences to compete with NVIDIA in the GPU front and the other benefits is, with AMD around, it will limit NVIDIA's movements because as we already know, AMD is also 1 of NVIDIA arch rival. That's why in this case, everybody wins except NVIDIA :p. Anyway, this is really a good news for everyone no matter how we look at it. That's my opinion.

12. metarinka

I don't think the majority of americans have a problem with capitalism but lessez faire capitalism. In which intel would of been able to do this with impunity. Capitalism can and does breed innovation and competition. But it also can breed greed and corruption, such as in this case where intel was willing to play dirty to force companies to boycott AMD

13. khatkar

khatkar What's a Dremel?

Whoohoo intel has to give some of the money it made by charging extortionate amounts for insignificantly incremental hardware updates to amd who perhaps didn't make quite as much by doing the same thing. Yeah!!! Whooo!!! Excellent!!!

14. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Aye emagine u wood haf two evest aloht.

I think the words you were looking for were imagine and invest, and yes your point is valid, a one day 20% increase would be great. The folks at the SEC would probably visit you if you had moved all your money into one stock.

Using Firefox as a browser is a good idea for many reason, but it has online spell checking, the words appear with a red line under them, you right click and the word list is there for you. It is also a much more secure browser than Internut Exploder 8.

Cheers,
    S¤D

15. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Now all we need is the management at AMD to resign and be replaced by a team who actually know how to run a large international company. Even with this money and agreement with Intel, you just know they are still going to f*&k thing's up!

All this has done is put the AMD share price back to May 08 prices which is still 83.25% DOWN on it's market height 4 years ago. This drops into that huge hole in their balance sheet like that Arab dude at the beginning of 300! Unfortunately, AMD don't have enough people to bring lawsuits against to fill it completely or the product base to help them stop the hole getting bigger.

No blue sky yet I'm afraid ladys whilst for Intel, it's just loose change down the back of their sofa.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

So this means...Intel ADMITS blackmailing it's customers to not use AMD?
    :D

"Even with this money and agreement with Intel, you just know they are still going to f*&k thing's up!"

Wellll, THIS kind of money, buys you about 1/4 of a Fab...(yes I know AMD has shoved it's Fabs up some saudi's A**) What I mean is, it's not as much money as you'd think it is.

Tags: Add Tags