1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel sheds more light on Nehalem

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 17 Jun 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S Well-Known Member

2. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Core 2 should suit me for the next 2+ years, to be honest. Unless I need 8 or more threads (for whatever ridiculous programme I might be running), I see no need for Nehalem yet.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

How would server hardware deal with the Duty Cycle stuff?

I mean, I like the idea of the CPU not flat out dying, but how would that impact high-stress always on situations?

Would RMA warranties and the like be altered to deal with the server market, or would there be an entirely different Duty Cycle for the application of these in server environments?

4. bowman

bowman Member

More hippie crap to shut down in the BIOS. They can keep all this energy saving malookey for themselves, it just adds another variable to the mix, one I can do fine without.

I don't even have a Core 2 now so I'll be grabbing one of these.

5. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i'll aim for one of these for april next year (bonus time!!!) along with a new gpu hopefully

cant wait to fire up 8 cores when video encoding

6. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Hi I'm <so and so> from <such and such a company> and I'd like to ask a question of no real importance the answer to which I don't really want to know but which will make me sound really smart...

Some really interesting stuff in the VLSI papers it has to be said.

7. amacieli

amacieli New Member

why get 8 cores when you can video encode faster with a gtx 280/260?

8. B3CK

B3CK New Member

What's with all this "jitter reduction here, jitter reduction there" business?

As to the "the Duty Cycle adapts to transistor variation and lifetime stress " I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a way Intel can say, well, your brand new $400.00 chip is still working at 96% capacity and our return service only kicks in at 94% or below.
    I would just hound intel to everyone I know if something like that happened. On the other hand, it should allow the chip to still plug away after years of power outages, and the never ending supply of Microsoft hard reboots due to driver non-interaction.

Tags: Add Tags