1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel socket 478 Q's Celeron-->P4

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cyric, 27 Jul 2004.

1. Cyric

Cyric What's a Dremel?

Okay, so I have this chip:

Celeron 2.4 Ghz processor
    -Based on the 0.13 micron Northwood core
    -400MHz FSB, 8KB L1 cache and 128KB L2 cache running at core speed (256-bit L2 cache bus)
    -Socket 478

And a hella crap mobo.

What would be a good mobo to upgrade to so I could use the Celeron for a while, then in the future slap in a top of the line (or as close as possible considering it has to be Celeron compatible) Pentium 4?

Thanks in advance!

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

depends how much u wanna spend.
    its 478, so 99% of mobos will support celerons and p4's.

IMO, go for asus, dfi and abit, and you shudn't have any probs.

3. Cyric

Cyric What's a Dremel?

Thanks...that's kinda what I had been thinking.

I had read somewhere about certian chipsets are better for different cores, but if it doesn't really matter, then I can get what I want, and not what the Celeron is limiting me to!

4. Austin

Austin Minimodder

;) i865PE & i875P are the top chipsets, brands like Abit, Asus, Epox etc are a secondary preference. Just rem the Celeron is still the weakest link as the NW based ones even o/c'ed to higher FSB and 3.0ghz are still often soundly beaten by a P4 2.0ghz, AthlonXP2000+ (1.67ghz) and Duron 1.8ghz. Get a P4 ASAP, esp before they all end up based on the Prescott (rather than NW) which makes them hot, sweaty, poorer at o/c'ing and slower performing!

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I don't think 875 chipsets support the 400FSB processors (ie celerons and older P4s).

I'd personally recommend the Abit IS7. It should support that chip and anything else in the P4 line, save the LGA775 chips.

Just for reference... prescotts are actually incredible overclockers, they just need really good cooling. They were designed for scalability.

6. Cyric

Cyric What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the tips!! I'll get a P4 shortly, just need to sell more crap on eb*y and replenish my pp account.

7. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Another vote for IS7, or IS7-E if you're feeling cheap and don't need RAID or firewire.

If I were you I'd get a mobo and a new heatsink (both which can be used on a P4) and then clock the living crap out of the celeron. Then when it dies, not only will the world be a better place, but you can buy yourself a P4 and plug it straight it.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

apparently they do, so i was told on here.

9. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Afaik they didnt, but knowing abit and asus they will now.

Go for an Abit IC7-series, or an Asus p4p800 (make sure its an 865 chipset one!) or Asus P4C800.

I am curently planning to migrate from an ic7-max3, to a p4c800-e deluxe, as my ic7-max3 tops out around 265 fsb, and my cpu will do 260 stock volts.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I was checking my manual earlier and it said 533 and 800 fsb and 333/400 ram. I'll recheck the supported cpu list though.

11. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

13. Austin

Austin Minimodder

;) I know it's stating the obvious but what the hey! You could put a 400FSB CPU into a mobo that supports 533FSB minimum so long as you take into account the o/c (+33%). It would be ideal to have verified it is Prime stable at the higher speed, but NW (eg Celly 2.0ghz+) should be more than happy above 3ghz. eg Celly 2.4ghz is 400FSB (24x100 Quad FSB) so at 533FSB it would need to run at 3.2ghz (24x133) which is by no means unheard of BUT may require extra voltage (difficult to set if it won't even POST). If we are talking 400FSB and esp Celerons, if you're upgrading to a mobo so nice it doesn't even support 400FSB is it really that bad if your CPU dies? At least then you can go out and get the CPU you want in the nice new mobo!