1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel stock CPU coolers may get Alder Lake refresh

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 13 Sep 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Personally I think why bother, they are barely going to cope with the ovens that are Intel CPU's lately if more than 2 cores are included, not that AMD are a huge amount better but at least the AMD coolers can cope at stock speeds.

MLyons likes this.
  3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

They don't really have a choice. Intel's stock coolers have been a joke for decades and AMD have produced capable coolers, which might allow those on a budget to put money towards more critical parts. If you realistically have to consider an additional £25-£40 for a decent cooler, it might be enough to tip the scale in AMD's favour when costing your build.

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I suppose it might work if they were sensible enough to exclude the cooler altogether and knock that extra cost off the price of the chips (and include a note to say "cooler required"), but then we'd be assuming "sensible" and "strategy" be included in the same flip-chart meeting and I'm not sure I've ever seen that happen.

If you're going the length of buying your own components rather than a pre-built machine, then it's not really a great big extra giant enormous step to add "cooler" to your shopping list.

PS. Does anybody actually buy the stock coolers advertised for sale on ebay sans chip?

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

It'd only take an ok 120mm tower cooler to make a half decent effort of cooling them. Although wouldn't be shocked to see an aio with the i9s, give them a chance at some more fancy boxes. Make them available with or without for those that want their own cooler choice.

Tags: Add Tags