1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel tears apart Nvidia Ion in document

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

If i was a manufacturer, i would also wait until Intel and Nvidia stop fighting. I think this as reason why OEMS not getting out a product yet, not what Intel claims it is. And then Intel is pushing the GN40 chipset between the lines and comparing their own atom platform to Nvidia's Ion. It is like taking over Nividia presentation of Ion and turn it into "atom"

3. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

This is nothing new, Intel / AMD / ATI / NV have been sending out docs like this for years. They always make for fascinating and hilarious reading, since these things are mainly made up of marketing messaging rather than actual reality. As Ben points out, the claim about aging technology is insane given the 945 link. TechPowerUp used to post these things on a regular basis for all to see: come on Bit, how about giving us the whole caboodle rather than one teasing screenshot? :)

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Video transcoding might be less than useful on a netbook/top but if we can get ITX scale bluray then i think intel may have missed the point

5. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

is it just me or are they mostly sounding like two teenage girls that has gotten into a fight about a boy.

DarkLord7854 likes this.
  6. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

+1

This is ridiculous.

7. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Yeah, Intel sounds like a five-year-old, screaming "But I don waaaant to!". Ion is better than anything Intel can show now and for a long time, they just want to get rid of the old 945M crap.
    "neither gaming nor video transcoding are relevant to netbook and nettop users." - read: We fail miserably.

8. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I think intel is losing its grip on the market.

This scares Intel.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Intel is scared, simple as that.

probably because their update platform for Atom can't handle 1080p smoothly :)

10. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

I think they are more afraid of that small Nvidia chip that does 720P in a cell phone size case and uses very little power. As for games on a netbook, I would love a small resonable priced portable system that can at least run games like CS:S so that I can check on my servers when I am on a trip.

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I have to agree in that having an nVidia chipset such as that in a Netbook is pointless and goes away from the main point of a netboox now what I would agree in would be not using the ION in netbooks but in Mini HTPC boxes, that would better suit what the ION can do but for Netbooks no not at all.

12. Primoz

Primoz What's a Dremel?

Why not have fullHD capabilities in a 'nettop'? You can use it as a daily PC (for the net, youtube and the occasional movie/series) if you have a powerfull gaming rig. That way you save on power in a dramatical way (if otherwise the gaming rig is turned on for the whole day). Or you could use it as a HTPC, especially in the 'digital era' and with a NAS somewhere on the net. Even G wireless is more than enough to stream a 1080p flick.

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

for the love of might people its a 10 inch and some cases smaller screen and you want HD capabilities LOL..... now for a netop with the use of being a HTPC mini system again as I said sure makes sense but the argument is more aimed towards netbooks which again I stand by it being pointless.

14. Quaymachine

Quaymachine What's a Dremel?

Ion is just stage one. Technology moves quickly these days and personally I would love a hand held PC that could double as a PSP/Movie Player, and I'v never liked java games, they look terrible.
    If I'm going to play a game, watch a movie or do anything I like it to look as good as possible. Now I'v played games on Intel graphic's chips and on Nvidia's and I know which one I prefer. In my opinion no matter what graphics solution Intel comes up with Nvidia's one will always look better.

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

But you can plug your HD-capable netbook into your TV via HDMI and you've got something that can play 720/1080p content back on a big screen. It's like the 720p decoding capabilities of the Tegra chip for mobile phones - it's so you can plug the thing into a bigger screen, not because you want to watch 720p movies on your handheld.

Tags: Add Tags