1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel to launch dual-core Pentium 'next week'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 11 Apr 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Ah - looks as if Chipzilla has indeed hit the 'overtake' button on the final corner. According to elReg, the microprocessor monster has moved up the launch of the dual core Pentium. I can't imagine why...

Intel may launch its upcoming dual-core Pentium processors and their supporting chipsets sooner than anticipated, with the products now set to debut this month, possibly as early as next week.

That's rather sooner than the late Q2 date that the chip giant was previously expected to have scheduled for the debut of the Pentium Extreme Edition and the 955X chipset.

More here

2. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

I really don't like the sound of this, rushing to beat each other to release these chips , makes you wonder what else there rushing :eeek: Are we gonna see chips that really shouldn't be released to the public because they rightfully should still be in testing? :confused: .

Death

3. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Thanks Intel, but I think I'll hang on for a few more months so I can get my hands on some 64-bit HT-equivilant AMD dual-core beauties.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

And not need a new mobo (unless you have uber-l33t soldering skills and bios-hacking abilities). Remember, the A64-DCs will only need a BIOS flash, the Intel DCs need a 945/955 mobo (or maybe just 955, not sure).

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

the i945 chipset is broke at the moment AFAIK.

6. Risky

Risky Modder

All these announcements mean very little untill there is actual volume retail availability. I chip you can't buy can't achieve much.

7. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

It's also worth remembering that when initially launched dual core CPU's will only benefit a limited number of applications and certain activities. I imagine that it will be a while before the majority of software is written to multi-thread and make use multiple CPU's.

8. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

To be honest, the effect it will have will be the same as Hyperthreading or a Dual CPU system...in games etc it will be useless. When DC is released, game developers shoudl start multithreading their games. By the time these games out out, AMD will be just about to launch their 64-bit DC chips.

9. Risky

Risky Modder

I've used Dualies (and HT) at work and its a huge benefit in terms of responsiveness and generally not hanging up when an app is hitting the CPU.

Obviously if all you do is run a single threaded game then there's no point, but if you need to have other RL-stuff going at the same time then there's a major benefit.

10. Risky

Risky Modder

Details? I'm curious.

11. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

I agree, I run a dual system at home, and I can run anything in the backgraund and it won't affect my games, for example teaching a neural net for a week at a time....

Tags: Add Tags