1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Intel Unveils New 22nm Ivy Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Teh Noob Slayer, 4 May 2011.

1. Teh Noob Slayer

Teh Noob Slayer What's a Dremel?

BBC news report:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13283882

"Intel has unveiled its next generation of microprocessor technology, code named Ivy Bridge.

The upcoming chips will be the first to use a 22 nanometer manufacturing process, which packs transistors more densely than the current 32nm system.

Intel said it would also be using new Tri-Gate "3D" transistors, which are less power hungry."

2. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

It's up on Hexus too.

Same performance for half the power... could be very interesting

3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Will still only see about a 10- 15% performance increase over sandy bridge. The improvement will be an even lower power draw and TDP.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

But it'll also increase overclocking massively...

5. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

We aren't going to know what kind of actual performance increase we'll see until the chips are actually out. The architecture changes are supposed to be pretty minor, but the new 3d gate transistors on top of the process shrink means that performance could be a lot higher than just 10-15% increase.

Also keep in mind, that is maybe 10-15% on a clock for clock basis. With the shrink even more cores on a die are going to be likely/possible. That lower power consumption, and since these new 3d transistors seem like they are going to be so effective and versitile, we might also be seeing some large bumps in clock speed. So what you might see is only a 10-15% jump in performance clock for clock, but you might also be seeing a 20-50% reduction in power consumption clock for clock. You might also be seeing a bump in core count...and I'd bet my left nut you are going to see frequency bumps at the top end of anything from 200-500mhz, or another 10-15% high maximum frequencies.

So ignoring possibly more cores for the CPUs...the fastest processors might really be 25-30%+ faster than the fastest Sandbridge processors we'll see.

You can go your whole life holding off on buying new chips "waiting for the next big release"...but I am deffinitely holding off. I was already planning on waiting till around the end of the year or early next year to finally ditch my Core 2 and get a new machine, but I think (if I have to) I am going to wait for Ivy Bridge to intro first. That and the improvements Panther Point seem to promise seem like it'll be worth waiting a couple of extra months (or even 4-5 if I have to).