1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel Z68 Express details leak

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Nov 2010.

1. Deders

Deders Modder

I've just found a use for my floppy drive, If I want to change my SATA to AHCI mode and install XP then i'll need a floppy to install the drivers before XP will even recognise the disks.

2. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

I definitely agree with you. The fact is that PCI cards are actually still extremely common. I don't think I've ever seen a PCIe wireless add-on card, for example - the big box computing stores here certainly don't stock any. The same holds true for sound cards and a lot of I/O cards designed to supplement a chipset's functionality. While I think a switch to PCIe is a good thing, and I wish every add-on card came in a PCIe model, to say it's dead and done right now is just incorrect.

3. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I think you answered your own objection with the first line of your post. I'm sure there are still people (or more likely businesses) who have mission-critical PCI hardware, but I suspect this isn't aimed at them. They will probably continue to have other options available to them for a few years yet, but for your average consumer, this should be a good thing.

Also, I wouldn't be very surprised if some enterprising soul came up with some sort of PCIe>PCI riser card or something :p

4. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

http://www.beaglesoft.com/pcie2pci.htm

5. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

$140! OUCH!

6. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

7. Phoenixlight

Phoenixlight What's a Dremel?

No USB 3.0? wtf?

8. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

9. Razorwindmo46

Razorwindmo46 What's a Dremel?

Here is my take on this.
    1. I like that mobo makers still include 1 PCI slot but, it is going to die leaving room for newer tech. and smaller boards
    2. I am still on the socket 775 and anticipated Intel's move not to support USB 3 since they announced Thunderbolt (aka; Lightpeak)
    http://www.intel.com/technology/io/thunderbolt/index.htm?wapkw=(thunderbolt)
    3. PS2 is all but dead also with the mobo makers dropping one connection and expect it too soon in the coming years with Thunderbolt

10. FDAD

FDAD What's a Dremel?

Couldn't have said it better, it's a wast in space...

Tags: Add Tags