1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intellitxt adverts

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by TWeaK, 6 Apr 2011.

1. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

They pop up as little video's now, which is really lovely if you're on a tight connection :wallbash:
    Have I mentioned this kind of advertising has the opposite effect on me?
    As in, I connect the advertiser as "annoying", no matter how cute the advertisement?
    (okay not in this case, i make sure to END the ad before I even recognise who's behind it) :D

2. greypilgers

greypilgers New Member

Just for the sake of balance, I really couldn't care less if Bit-Tech have these advert links as I don't tend to wave my mouse cursor all over the screen when I'm reading. To be fair to Lizard, the links themselves do seem fairly visible and obvious, and I also agree that I would rather tolerate a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things, than see Bit-Tech weighed down with other, more intrusive advertising methods (such as auto pop up videos and things seen on some other Dennis sites), or worse, the subject of reduced funding.

Unfortunately it is just a simple fact that we cannot expect high quality, continual content for free, so somewhere along the lines someone has to pay for it. I would rather that were some commercial enterprise who in return had some small measure of advertising placed on the web site - but then I am kinda cheap, it has to be said!

Like I said however, just for the sake of balance...

3. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter New Member

Can't see why this is still being made a fuss of tbh. Hard OCP has them all over the place and thir forum is five times the size of this one.

4. Yorkie

Yorkie Active Member

It's a shame, When I read a page of text I scan with my mouse and highlight large blocks of text so I tend to get these ads a lot however I can understand why they are used

5. Toploaded

Toploaded New Member

Kinda a none issue for me tbh, I just avoid the links. Being on a capped 3 gig a month bandwidth when I'm at work, I learned to do this pretty quickly ;)

I'm VERY surprised that this method of advertising works though, but if it gains money and keeps the site up and free, all good. With the amount of traffic it must get and the relatively high amount of articles it produces it stands to reason they have to generate some cash somehow.

Just keep it off the forums and all good for me, I even click on some of the ads from time to time...

6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD New Member

I thought in the last, very long discussion about this type of advertising, we agreed that a good compromise was to have them in articles for not the forums. I don't have a problem with that arrangement.

7. TWeaK

TWeaK Member

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this, but a few minutes ago I logged onto the website on my phone (where I don't have an ad-blocker) and I was greeted by a pop-up message from Metrixlab asking me to complete a survey. As well as obscuring a good chunk of the home page, this also significantly increased the loading time of the page and as such I didn't get the chance to read any articles before my journey home finished.

Is this the direction Bit-tech is going, where pop-up adverts obscure highlighted articles on the main page?

@Ph4ZeD: that discussion centred around Skimlinks; they have since switched to Intellitxt, which has led some people to revise their opinions (or, in the case of those who were involved in the Intellitxt discussions in 2009, repeat their previous opinions). As far as I'm concerned, Intellitxt seems to combine the irrelevance of Skimlinks with an annoying pop-up that obscures the article. Seriously, has anyone ever seen an advert like that where the link and pop-up is even relavant to the highlighted word, let alone the article itself?

8. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

9. TWeaK

TWeaK Member

Cheers M7ck, yeah I noticed after I posted that I didn't get it when I logged on with my phone via Wifi, and I've just logged again using my phone's network without any pop-up. I didn't look into the survey so I didn't know what it was for, I just assumed it was spam. I guess I jumped the mark on that one, and I apologise.

10. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

It is spam dude but it is easily ignored. I had it pop upon my iPad but haven't had it since on any other devices.

11. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Shame, off the adblock whitelist.

I understand why they are there though, and they're certainly less intrusive than pop-up videos or those god awful 'watch these ads before we even load what you want' pages.

12. TWeaK

TWeaK Member

Ouch, rollover movie adverts at the top now :wallbash:

[​IMG]

It came up after I (accidentally) left my mouse at the top of the page, then I was stuck with a loading bar for a good 15 seconds (which is strange, since I'm on a university computer) with no way of getting out until it finished and I was greeted with that annoying clucking.

13. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

thing is you get banned for even talking about advertising ads on hardocp, thing is most block popup ads not that hard to do it any way (love the tags) just using noscript or adblock norm deals with it (norm just allow the rest of the ads but i norm do blacklist all ads on sites that use intellitxt ads as punishment for using intellitxt ads)

need to get noscript and adblock now as using bit-tech on TOR is slow i have it setup on my server with firefox when sites do not work any other time i just use opera (Virgin media routing issues currently)

Last edited: 4 Jun 2011
  14. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I couldn't care less about it. Bit-Tech needs to make money, and if one does appear, click the 'x'.

Although the video adverts highlighted above, they need to go, pronto. I was on the PS3, knocked my mouse and I presume it hit the advert and some video started playing. It's not nice. Remove them. Please.

15. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

do not mind ads, its the pop up ads i dislike and slows page loading times down as the last command that is run on the page is intellitxt that can make page hang for short time (Extremely annoying on my smart phone need to work out how to block intellitxt on my smart phone as well as use More data and bat life as they do not load until you hit them)

please do not upgrade the forums with out testing it on smart phones first (bad forum code like http://www.lithium.com/ does not work with opera or mobile phones correctly that Virgin media and WD forums use)

16. geebles

geebles Own's a Dremel

I don't understand where these links are, I know what iltelliTXT is and I do dislike it as I highlight text as I read, but honestly I've never seen it on bit-tech reviews!
    I use chrome and "AdBlock" but I don't even see the underlined text, is it turned off?

17. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

We try to ensure that ads such as those don't take over too badly - the ad in question has a clear 'hover here to learn more' portion and a count-down timer before the video kicks in.

Hopefully you agree that the ad is doing what it can do not be intrusive while also not blocking interested people from actually seeing it.

18. Technobod

Technobod Finally bought a desktop :D

I understand that Bit-tech needs to earn money and one of the ways it does this is ads on the site. As a mark of support I have even disabled Adblock on Bit-tech.net so you guys can earn those extra few pennies :thumb:.

But believe me when I say this, I am so very, very close to enabling it again, and then you are essentially providing me free content with no revenue at all and that's not at all desirable is it? :confused:

[Rant]
    I can do sidebars, I am even happy to have them over the top of the page when they have to be clicked to be activated, Intellitext annoys me moderately as it is easy to click one of them when they appear where I would expect a link to another bit-tech review/article, But one thing that gets on my nerves is rollovers placed intentionally in the most common mouse paths are :wallbash:
    [\Rant]

Please sort them out, it makes the reading experience awful, and if it gets much worse, I personally think bit-tech will struggle to acquire more readers as they will click on the site, get barraged with ads, be constantly redirected to nasty advertising pages, and they will be forced to conclude that bit-tech is (far from the truth) an unprofessional amateur website that is forced to rely on advertising to make ends meet :(

Let me reiterate- I have no issue with advertising on webpages, but it has to be tasteful and unobtrusive and HAS TO BE, HAS TO BE click to activate, NOT rollover or pop-up.