1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel's Core 2 Duo processors

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 14 Jul 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've not had the chance to test that, but it is more of a chipset problem than a CPU problem. Having said that, if you're serious about RAID5, I'd recommend getting a dedicated controller.

2. msm722

msm722 New Member

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

ive allready got my money ready, but im waiting for the pre-orderes to stop, as then the costs should come down a bit...

looks like for the price E6600 is v. good due to 4mb Cache and around £225 after pre-order

4. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

It's going to be funny to see how the AMD fanboys respond to this.

So many shouting "AMD till I die"....they will probably be the first to adopt :hehe:

Seriously good article. Now overclock....overclock....overclock....overclock! I you dont have a menu but would it be possible to include watercooling in the overclocking update?

It would also have been nice to see a comparison of power consumption. Here it is anyway from Extremetech:

[​IMG]

5. fev

fev Industry Fallout

i'm in no means an AMD fan boy, just used them whilst they were P4 beaters.

AMD will have to lower it's prices to stay in the market, however you've got to ask how many people went to AMD for the FX range. The second hand market for the FX series is still raging and isn't likely to change.
    All these people aren't going to change back on a whim now.
    People don't have 300 quid to throw at a new CPU just "to beat" their previous AMD system and don't forget that the AMD S939/754 users will need to change mobo's and RAM.

So Intel fans, we're not changing for a while

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

i am.... ive had my Opty 146 for 4 months, nothing special... so im selling it and the mobo and RAM to go to conroe..

mega performace gains and all ive gotta spend is £200 cash..

7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Well, I can't speak for the rest of the AMD fanclub, but you won't see one of these in any of MY computers. My issues with Intel processors revolve around stability and reliability, not raw performance. Every Intel based computer I've had has liked to lock up at least semi-randomly. Bad luck? Perhaps.

That said, I applaud Intel for releasing what appears to be a fairly revolutionary piece of tech. They promised the moon and they seem to have come close to delivering it. Good for them. I'm already comitted to an AMD-centric upgrade path and I have faith that AMD will soon be launching comperable or better hardware. This is really nothing more than a changing of leaders in a race that is never won.

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

yeah, good points but if i had a dual opteron rig with SLI,

nothing much would touch it for raw performace... or price........

9. olly_lewis

olly_lewis New Member

Intel, you old dogs you, you've created a great chip with benchmarks that make my head spin, and god dam it I want one.... or two, well...

10. msm722

msm722 New Member

Previously people where speccing x2 amd cpu's into their new builds, but from what I have seen nearly 90% of people are going conroe. You just have to take a look over at OCUK forums to see the amount of new systems based around this new chip.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

We were looking to do some power measurements. However, we were trying to find something that we were happy enough with.

The obvious choice is a power meter plugged into the wall socket, but it is impossible to accurately measure power consumption - even overall system power consumption - with a power meter from the wall. There are just too many variables when measuring, most importantly, the efficiency (or lack thereof) of the power supply is a massive factor. Obviously, efficiency decreases at idle and the numbers are even more skewed than they are when the system is loaded.

12. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

You seem to get alot of speed for your money with the lowest end 6300.. I like :)

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well, AMD are beaten - we can all see that, BUT it's not a complete disaster, the gaming benchmarks aren't too far behind realistically, the only place AMD are falling down is the price differences.
    What AMD will be counting on is getting the more budget-y end of the market, selling the soon to be reduced 3800+/4000+ type chips with better performance than the similarly priced Intels.
    The major worry atm is that AM2 doesn't really have anything sensible coming to gain a better advantage across the performance field. There's the new dual/quad CPU thing that was bandied around, but that's not really sensible imho.

The only thing to do is wait and see what AMD can do to counter it... Interesting times. :D

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

15. Buzzons

Buzzons Active Member

Does anyone know when the new xeons ship? will Bit do a nice review of them *like this one*?

16. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Power consumption down..
    That potentially means better overclocking due to greater voltage increases and less heat output, thats a nu domain for modern intels, i always found the massive power/heat output of previous P4s a massive flaw.

Cant wait for the AMD price droop though, will they only be dropping competeing duel core CPUs, or can we expect a slash acorss the range?

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

hmm.... i would like to see the temperature of these chips, the size and type of the coolers, the eficiency in F.E.A.R., it working on a new mobo, it overclocked the real ........ and i would like a pizza with extra E6600 :D

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

Check the link in my previous post :)

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Have a read of the link that Tim posted - it's everything except the FX series.

[edit] Damn, beat me to it. :p
    Nicely written article Tim, as De XS said, it'd be nice to have a few more of the classic OC benchmarks in there - a of 3dMark'05 or something and a Superpi, just to see what we might find. :)

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

Woodcrest was launched last month, but it's not really our field. However, that's not to say we won't be doing something a little different... ;)

Tags: Add Tags