1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel's Sandy Bridge list leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Aug 2010.

1. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

this is actually good considering that most people don't really overclock (yes, it's the majority)

if they make the non-OCeable models a lot cheaper than their OCeable counterparts then I really see this as something positive for the market!

remember, many people just buy the hardware just as is, some pay a lot for an OCeable CPU without actually OCing!

2. steve30x

steve30x What's a Dremel?

Im going for a core I7 930 ASAP. I dont want to be restricted to no overclocking.

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The thing that worries me in this listings is, that there aren't any CPUs without integrated GPU anymore.

The more stuff you put into a package, the more likely the package will burst and people who buy an i7 or an i5 are going to add a discrete GPU anyways, as the intel GMA isn't exactly what you'd call a potent GPU.

4. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Ok, please refer to that other smiley then and use the search. Took me all of 30 seconds to come up with a search term (sandy bridge) and find the correct article.
    Sorry, i just am.
    This is mainly caused by threads full of people asking stupid questions (contrary to popular belief, they do exist) while displaying a complete lack of willingness to put any effort into finding the answers for themselves.

Plus, i also did the 'good cop' thing where i provided ALL the answers to their questions, backed up by evidence in links, neatly arranged in groups. After all that, i can't help but feeling entitled to a modest dose of arsehollery.
    Intel is making architectural changes between generations of processor families that make the change in socket a technical necessity.
    Thanks for the rep and the correct use of the word "they're". :thumb: I'll even overlook that you managed to make a last-minute typo with the very last letter of your post :lol:

I dont agree with the hopes of prices being low etc, that's not really the point. What i'm really missing here is that chip that allows people on a really tight budget (let's face it, we've all been there at 13) to axtually play games. Chips like the G6950 and the X2 550. You know, cheap as chips, overclockable to no end. A friend of mine had an E4300 that ran 24/7 at a 100% OC, while some X2 chips today can be unlocked all the way to X4, AND OCed. That kind of overclocking is going to be a thing of the past now, and the only thing that's left is to make fast chips run even faster. While that's a lot of fun to do, it's NOT the original idea of OCing.

5. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

For the two of you asking about 6 cores, from what I've read Intel don't think that dual channel DDR3 is enough bandwidth for more than 4 cores. Hence 6 only on 1366 atm.

Indications are that hex core chips will remain high end on either 1366, or the new 2011 socket with either triple or quad channel memory interfaces. So IF you want "mainstream" hex core it's gonna be AMD for at least another year or so I suspect.

Interesting that both companies have a different view on memory interfaces, I wonder if it translates to lost performance for AMD customers, or wasted bandwidth (and cash) for Intel customers...

wyx087 likes this.
  6. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

If you're going to point out mistakes take a look at your own first. . . .

i'm = I'm
    axtually = actually
    dont = don't
    that used in the second sentence should really be referenced with the as you're defining an object.

There's more, but I figured the most obvious would establish the point.

7. Xtrafresh

joke
    Plus, i managed to stay ontopic until this post.

8. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

I don't get excited unless I'm jerking off to benchmarks. so until I see these Sandy bridges benched next to current 1366 Core i7's I'm going to stick to my plan of getting a core i7 950 that way I can overclock.

I do see some special K's in the Sandy line up. their probably gonna cost a kidney and a lung with minimal over clocking potential a nice black box and a cool sticker.

9. Xtrafresh

I dont agree. I think you are getting a lot more value with a 875K then with a 950 already. I was able to OC and bench one at almost 4,8GHz on water, using only the multiplier. It's possible to get good results that way, and 32nm has proven a very good OC node, so i'm not writing off Sandy Bridge just yet.

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Well... AMD still has yet to comment on their overclocking policy with the next socket. Though I'd hate to see them get further pidgeon-holed as the budget brand of processors, they're pretty well poised to take the low end by storm with a cheap overclocking beast to rival Intel's locked up low end.

Or, if I'll be allowed to dream, AMD will rival Intel at all levels and price points with the products being very competitive and the advantage being that AMD chips can overclock, thus stealing away from Intel's greedy overclock locking. But we'll see :D

11. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

As I'm just about to build a new rig, I considered holding off until next CPU's arrive, but indeed the news about Intel limiting the overclocking potential disturbed me and pushed towards building around current i7 range. As for the chips themselves seem tasty enough to consider. I feel though that many enthusiasts will buy their chips right before Sandy Bridge comes out to get most of the OC potential they have, before they disappear from the market, thus limiting Intel's revenue from Sandy Bridge. At least on the beginning.

12. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Personally I think that's crock from Intel to excuse the tri and quad channel memory. AMD got hex working on dual channel for one (a much slower hex core tho) and I was under the impression that ram speed and bandwidth was only saturated in very memory intensive applications and apart from benchmarks and a few professional applications was it needed. Maybe I'm totally wrong tho.

Tags: Add Tags