1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Interested in doing a little benchmarking.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BloodlessDawn, 11 Apr 2012.

1. BloodlessDawn

BloodlessDawn I know nothing.

Hey people,

As some of you may know, I recently upgraded my entire pc.

I went from having a Core2Duo @ 3.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, and an 8800 GTS, to this monster:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4Ghz
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 680
    SSD: 128GB Crucial M4
    HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda
    Sound: Asus Xonar DX

Well, I'd quite like to experiment with overclocking and such. But would also like to benchmark my pc as I go along, so that I can see whether I get any real performance boost.

How do I go about benchmarking? I've seen an array of different software around. But what is considered "standard"?

Thanks for any advice.

Matt

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

3d mark 11 will test your entire system, unigine heaven is mostly testing your gfx and geekbench specifically tests your cpu and ram.
    It's best to find the max stable overclock for each component seperately while the others are at stock, then when combining, taake them down a few notches first to make sure they'll work together. Once your hole system is overclocked at a reasonable level, adjust the speeds of the various components then bench to see what gives the biggest improvement in scores.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Oh and for proper 'real world' testing, some games have their own benchmarks. F1 2011 has one in the graphics settings menu that's fairly quick and gives min and avg fps. Then you go back to the settings so you can see how different AA settings affect performance to.

4. BloodlessDawn

BloodlessDawn I know nothing.

I tried out 3d mark 11, thanks for the recommendation.
    But it didn't actually give me any results other than telling me that my system isn't running as fast as it could be...

However I then tried Unigine's Heaven Benchmark and got the following results. No overclocking, all components at stock settings.
    [​IMG]

5. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

There is another thread here in Hardware that deals with the Geekbench benchmark. It tests the CPU, memory and chipset of your computer. An added bonus is that you can see where it fits in relation to other systems by the use of the graphs kindly maintained by Pookey.

6. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

yeah go and check out the geekbench thread

trouble is you need to pay for the 64bit version. i did. its not too expensive, and it allows you to see higher numbers!! mmm...black pixels representing a bigger e peen.....mmm

and then get something like unigine or 3dmark 11 for gfx

then use something like ibt set at max for 10 runs for stability