1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Internet Cafe Network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Montyburns, 28 Sep 2004.

1. Montyburns

Montyburns What's a Dremel?

Hello all,

I am currently in the process of setting up an Internet cafe, the first one in our town, and was hoping to get some opinions of people who will no doubt have more experience than me, regarding server specs and software.

We will be having 7 to 10 client machines (running XP pro, quite well specced), sharing a 2Mbs adsl connection.

Im pretty sure ive picked out a suitable switch/router and firewall, but if anyone has sugegstions feel free...

So, to get to the point, the Server. Ive been looking around and most servers seem over kill, all i want to do is share an internet connection and sort out a group policy to stop customers messing about with my machines too much, and maybe act a dedicated server for games from time to time.

Id be happy to build my own, or consider second hand stuff, so what kind of specs would be required? Also what OS do you suggest running on the server, and what proxy server software has any one had experience with? Ive never used anything linux based before, but if its gonna save us a grand or so on MS Licences then believe me i'll learn :)

For the record, im not completely new to this, ive been running a windows 2000 network for the last 2 years, its just ive never set one up from scratch before, so any advice would be thouroughly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

neill

2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I wrote an essay on this for college last year but only got around 60% for the final draft. If you post your e-mail addy i will send you it or if i can get my hands on one of the lad's from colleges essay i will send you his as hes a bit of a network junkie (hes doin a cysco course) and he got around 90% for his.

3. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

Server wise linux would be by far the cheapest and if you take time reading forums and documentation it wouldnt be that hard.

On the desktops are you planning to "lock" them into IE? if so you could go entirely linux as locking them in would be a very simple thing to do and there would be no way they could muck around with the settings if they wanted to.

4. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

5. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

Yeah chillispot is quite nice, its basically Radius authentication. Thinking of setting something like that up myself too, rather than straight open public AP like I have at the moment (on a 150k feed only) for my neighbours to use if they need.

6. penski

penski BodMod

Are you sure 2Mb ADSL will be adequate? Who are you using as your ISP? You'll need to check their outlook on their product being used as a business line.

I'd run a 2k server backend with clients running XP, A decent hardware firewall with logging capabilities and a 24port switch on the back of a decent quality router.

*n

7. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

You could look at a linux box for firewall \ routing duties.

IPcop and Smoothwall are both highly regarded, free and provide comprehensive functionality.

You can also run it on a really basic machine with 2 nics.

8. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

I would recommend actually paying for Smoothwall and not using Smoothwall express. The paid "enterprise" version has lots more features including implemented SQUID with MAC based throttling.

There lots of ways to go with this, all depends on your budjet and knowledge.

9. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

yeah most ISP's have a business package with a lower connection ratio something like 20:1 and not 50:1.

Also note with the 2Mb ADSL it still has 256k upstream maybe have a look at a lease line. I'm sure someone can tell you if 256Kb/s is enough

10. ginguskahn

ginguskahn What's a Dremel?

U could bond 2 ADSL Lines for 512k upload rather than splash out on a leased line...

11. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

We've been on both 20:1 and 50:1 connections in our shared house (8 people) and the difference is so little, unless you are on a crowded exchange I dont think its worth it.

12. hardflipman

hardflipman What's a Dremel?

for the server itself any decent pc would do fine. i work for the council in edinburgh and all the pdcs and bdcs in the schools are p2 350s with half a gig ram! so you definitely don't need anything expensive

13. penski

penski BodMod

Contention ratios have very little relevence unless you are on an EXTREMELY crowded exchange...As you have said that the cafe is the first in your town, one may be correct in assuming that the local exchange is not that busy?

I would get a leased line - 4Mb down/2Mb up, it will terminate in a nice connection and you can bung a router capable of handling the connection onto the end of it. Go with the right provider and you will get the router/service guarentee slapped into the deal.

Leased Line > Router > PIII 800MHz running SmoothWall Enterprise > 24port switch > client PCs and server.

*n

14. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

What Penski said is a good way of doing it. Easynet will provide the kit included in the price (depending on how nice your account manager is).

The other thing you can do is get baseband direct from BT, phone them up and ask about it (phone up business not customer support!). Install costs are £700 but the rental is only like £180 ish a year last I checked with them. That gives you a potential 2.1mpbs both ways (depending on 1. if your exchange can handle it, and 2. the distance from the exchange).

15. penski

penski BodMod

*Ponders calling up his old team mate and asking for a 15Gb LES between his house and his workplace along with a 1Gb/sec Net access (both directions, uncontended) at work....*

*n

16. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

I found out today that NTL do 100mbps for £115 per month + VAT... I was like "WTF"...

Me: You are joking right?
    Account Manager: Nope
    Me: Uncontented?
    Account Manager: Yep
    Me: Available on my exchange?
    Account Manager: Nope
    Me: Well thats ****ing useful!
    Account Manager: Yep

He was in his more talkative moods :/

Tags: