1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Internet connection problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by technogiant, 28 Jun 2009.

1. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

Strange problem...system has been working fine but is not now.

I'm running XP home sp2 on a wireless connection....the wireless network is open not encrypted but is using Mac address filtering.

I'm using a physical PC on which I download my itunes etc through this network...I also run a virtual pc (xp home sp2) on this same physical pc on which I access the internet.

This all may seem a little querky but I have my reasons for doing it this way and it has been working like it for several years.

Over the last few days however the physical pc can't connect to the internet....it is still connected to the wireless network as I can access the modem/router home page etc but will only connect to the internet if I either turn off the routers firewall or place the physical pc in the DMZ. I have tried the pc's software firewall on and off but this makes no difference....the router although allowing it on the network will not allow it access to the internet.

Confusingly the virtual pc which runs on this same physical pc can connect to the internet with no problem even when the physical pc it's running on can't:wallbash:

Last edited: 28 Jun 2009
  2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

first off that's not secure.. mac address spoofing is basic stuff- monkeys can do this!

so you could be open to a script kiddie with a couple of tools at his fat fingers.. put up something even if it's 128bit wep xD anything.. give them a little more packets to play with

wpa2 with aes is recommended.. sounds like you have a mac address conflict with your main machine- since you are using mac filtering check that first.. your virtual pc sounds fine though (uses a different mac address)

3. technogiant

Not so sure it's a mac address problem as I've turned mac address filtering on and off and it's still the same...only allows access to the physical pc when I either turn off the router firewall or place physical pc in the dmz.,,,checked through the client list there isn't any duplicates or anything?

Last edited: 28 Jun 2009
  4. thehippoz

aye.. well I'm thinking since it's not the mac filter, and from what you've wrote in the op- it was working.. now it's not, but your virtual is working from the same machine.. the problem is on your computer

try reinstalling the driver on the network card.. if you can ping something like cnn.com from the command console it's probably dns related.. but try the driver that's the quick way to get that out of the way and narrow it down some

5. technogiant

Thanks for that...you put me on the right track....I've altered the network adapter internet protocol tcp/Ip properties....set it up manualy giving it an ip address outside of the routers ip address pool....its working now but not sure if that is the correct way to do it or if that has any security implications?

Did try reinstalling the network card drivers but made no difference.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2009
  6. thehippoz

7. technogiant

Thanks again....had a look at that article...a little above my experience level...I'm just happy it's going again....for now anyway:D