1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Internet Explorer Memory Usage

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by MadGinga, 20 Sep 2017.

1. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Hi All,

SWMBO uses IE11 and Chrome side-by-side to separate out her business and personal web-browsing, and so she can have a different set of links on the quick access Favourite Bar across the top.

BUT, the problem is, that by midday (she opens them first thing and leaves them open) the IE11 page for Gmail is eating in excess of 1-1.5GB of RAM. Alongside everything else that's running, this is causing Windows to complain about lack of memory and everything else to chug.

Obviously chucking some more RAM in there (currently 2x4GB, so taking it up to 2x8GB) is the obvious quick fix, but I was wandering if there is also a solution that I haven't thought of? Can you have multiple Chrome profiles with different favourite bar entries and showing as separate instances on the task bar? or something equally crazy.

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Quick test here suggests you can run separate Chrome profiles at the same time in separate windows by simply clicking on different shortcuts. You can create separate shortcuts in Chrome - Settings>People>*account name*>"Show Desktop Shortcut"
    If not Chrome and Firefox could be an option.

No sure why IE11 would be using all that memory though. Is the system fully updated?

MadGinga likes this.
  3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I think the problem is GMail tbh... it [and several other sites *cough*facebook*cough*] tend to eat all the ram if left open, even in chrome... Edge [if it's an option] is much less thirsty than IE I find [also has ad-blockers].

But yes you can set up multiple chrome profiles, each one will have its own shortcut with an icon overlaid so you can tell which is which, or you can switch from within chrome. Fairly sure you can run both/multiple profiles at the same time.

MadGinga likes this.
  4. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Thanks guys, didn't know about the multiple profile thingy - given it a go, and will be setting it up for SWMBO over the weekend. Also gone for more RAM courtesy of @mrbungle :thumb: