1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet keeps dropping

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by blah, 2 Feb 2008.

1. blah

blah Minimodder

Hello, I purchased a new computer 2 days ago to play games on. But basically every few hours I cannot access the internet. It is not the internet connection as with my laptop it has never dropped. They were both connected via the LAN cable and am connected to the internet through the university connection (so I cannot change any settings)

The specifications are:

E6320 at £2.8ghz
    P5N-E SLI
    640mb 8800GTS
    2GB PC 6400
    250GB SATA II Samsung
    DVD-RW LightScribe
    X-Fi Sound Card

More specifications can be found here where I bought it Here

Basically what happens is I am happily on the internet and then then I cannot access it anymore, there is nothing saying that there is anything wrong with the internet connection, it just stops. I then try and "repair" the connection and it just goes to limitted connectivity, it does this with both auto assigned IPs and manual IPs.

I have tried installing the drivers again but that is a no go as it just crashes, it also crashes when I basically do anything with the network card.

I am wanting to purchase a new LAN card, is that a good idea and will it solve my problem?

Just as an after thought, I paid £380 for the machine, is that a good deal? (Been out of PC's for a while) It was without the monitor, just the base unit, and he swapped the 8600GT for a 8800GTS 640mb.

Thanks.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2008
  2. blah

blah Minimodder

PS: Also, even when I restart the computer it doesn't solve the problem. It does sometimes but I need to switch it completely off for a few minutes and then switch it back on again.

3. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 What's a Dremel?

Go into your system>device manager page and see if there are any conflicts. Since it keeps crashing when you try to access it, it sounds to me like there could be something else trying to use the same address.

4. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

are you using the same program just before it crashes every time or does it seem to be specifically time related ?

5. blah

blah Minimodder

Hi, there is usually no problem with the internet.

I think it is mainly after I have been downloading a large file, say over 200mbs or so. Usually it is fine, just occasionally it screws up. And then I need to leave the computer off for a few minutes before it will let me reconnect. (Limited Connectivity)

Tags: