1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Internet Speeds

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by WarrenJ, 13 Jun 2019.

1. WarrenJ

WarrenJ Well-Known Member

So we have been dealing with the usual 80mb/20mb BT Infinity Fibre for a few years now and I wondered if there is anything on the horizon with faster speeds?

Unfortunately Virgin are not in our area and after investigation they have no interest in adding services into our area either so I believe I am limited to the Openreach network for the time being.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Got a letter through from BT about a faster offering a while back: BT Ultrafast, "up to" 150Mb/s with a 100Mb/s downstream 10Mb/s upstream guarantee. According to the availability checker, I'd get 137Mb/s down and 25Mb/s up - but it's a hefty £54.99 a month, though there's an offer on for a £130 card-based cashback and "your choice of tech worth up to £249" from a choice of JBL 650 Live headphones, a Samsung Galaxy Tab A, or an Amazon Echo.

It's only in limited areas at the moment, but if it's not available where you are yet it's worth keeping an eye on.

3. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

Problem with fibre connections is they need roads dug up to add the infrastructure (still) and with minimal uptake in remote areas, it becomes a catch-22 situation.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not for VDSL, only FTTP/FTTH. BT Ultrafast is VDSL: it uses copper for the last mile. (Incidentally, so - in the form of good ol' co-ax - does Virgin's "fibre," which is always a source of amusement when it's running all the "VDSL isn't proper fibre" advertising.)

'course, if your exchange ain't fibre'd up, then it's time to break out the backhoes...