1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Interview: AMD on Game Development and DX11

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 6 Jan 2010.

1. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Fantastic interview and I really love the responses. My next video card will certainly be a 5770 or a 5850 depending on funds.

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i never said to increase marketing at the expense of development but to up marketing a little would help a fair bit

take for example the scan home page 3 of 5 ads on the ticker thing feature nvidia products would it harm development to have a single 5800 add on there

3. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Whilst I appreciate the interview, I can't help but feel the proof is in the pudding.

I used to work in pro-audio and looking at marketing there is very interesting. The companies with the best marketing usually win, regardless of their products. Pioneer DJ is classic example. Their products are outperformed by other brands in a lot of areas, but people still buy them and they are considered the defacto standard.

In fact every market you look in has examples of marketing triumphing over features/tech/spec/whatever. He who shouts loudest! Apple is possibly the most obvious example of this in the last decade.

Anyway, point is March is when we find out what's really going on. Having read the architecture analysis here a couple of times, I hope we get something similar on Fermi from bit-tech. I have a feeling that the 5 series could be a watershed moment in the GPU industry. Eyefinity is a great idea and then there's the sheer genius of the tech. Plus the power consumption thing is getting to be a bigger and bigger issue.

I'm routing for ATI, but AMD could do with pulling something out of the bag this year....

4. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

This made me lol. An operating system that actually works! Wow, what next?

They should put that quote in the windows 7 ads, the ones with the little girl in, haha.

5. Matticus

Matticus ...

I have never had a blue screen on 7, or vista. I wonder what people do to actually get them lol.

It was a nice interview, the guy seems like a nice chap and gave good answers.

I hate all this nvidia only AA, and physX only if you have an nvidia card, then with AMDs response it is going to make things more difficult for the consumer. In tests for each of the companies they can say "yes this type works perfectly for our cards because we made it specifically for it" but in the real world its going to be "why the hell does this not work like it is supposed to", it will make game makers either choose who to side with or go to trouble of adapting each companies new tech all the time. I bet that's when mr developer says to himself "wouldn't it be easier to just code this for a closed system... like a console".

6. dec

dec [blank space]

really in-depth interview.
    i bet this guy could do stand up tech comedy. nvidia bashing makes me lol.

I think i read the word "enabling" so much that i want to ask this guy if he can enable all of us to get 5870's for a very small amount (or none) of money. :)

7. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

that was good read,

i lold @ AVP comment.

"RH: They did talk about Valentine’s Day recently and I think that's quite nice because there's a certain amount of romance to do with the Aliens and Predator getting together I suppose."

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Great interview. I'd take everything he says with a pinch of salt simply because of his unavoidable bias, but I really like the way he presents himself and the frankness of his approach to topics like competition and nVidia/Intel.

I'd love to see more interviews like this from bit-tech.
    What I think we all really want to see is a 4-way meeting/interview between bit-tech, Huddy, Otellini and Jen-Hsun Huang - That'd be fun. :D

9. knutjb

knutjb What's a Dremel?

Like many others, I usually get bored with many interviews and must force myself to glean something that applies to me out of it. I got to the end and wanted more.

After using my grain of salt filter he provided a fair representation of his competition. Intel is having a hard time integrating CPU-GPU. That is a massively complex project given Intel's GPU history. Paradigms can be hard to change with such a large corporate bureaucracy.

He pretty much confirmed what I thought about Nvidia. Marketing will only get you so far, particularly in the PC market. If you put massive amounts of marketing behind a marginal part you might sell a few more but lose credibility in the process. Nvidia's renaming a minor revision parts as new ones hurt them. I went with AMD last time, 5770, because I knew what I was getting and I still don't trust Nvidia. Not because they make bad parts, they don't, but their marketing over-hype.

I hope game developers pick a standard and force the hardware manufacturers to build for them rather than the other way round. An single open standard would go a long way towards that, but which one... Wishful thinking.

10. Etebaer

Etebaer What's a Dremel?

Interesting read.

And yes - Nvidia could do more on the drivers front for the PhysX-Games and that is why it will fail: Nvidia competes with Intel + AMD...

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Double post.

12. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Great Interview, Thanks ;)

13. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

A very interesting read, and a nice selection of questions too. Was refreshing to see someone passionate about the actual tech side of the hardware being interviewed, rather than some random marketing executive.

I get the impression that although AMD and Intel have had issues with each other on the global stage, there is a pretty healthy working relationship on the ground when it comes to ensuring compatibility of hardware etc.

More interviews like this please!

14. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

historically i've been an AMD man for cpus. for gpus, i've been an nvidia man. now, i've grown tired of nvidia's arrogance and dirty ways. i am still now waiting to see what fermi does, but the more i wait and the more i learn about nvidia's ways, the more i don't want to give them my money. nvidia is shaping to be another intel: a bully that plays dirty tricks. i think i'm about to go AMD all the way, cpus AND gpus. at least they're humble, and you have to be so out of respect for your customers if you want us to shell 400 bucks for a high end product. that's that.

15. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

"I expect that for the majority of 2010 we'll have the fastest card you can buy" :)
    According to Fudzilla, ATI will launch their next-gen architecture (Hecatoncheires - RV970) in 2010. If this is true, Nvidia will have a real headache to contend with, and we should see some nice price wars, just like last year, when they both slashed prices in the summer!

Last edited: 7 Jan 2010
  16. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

Thats one of the best interviews I've read for a long time. Well done all! More of that if you can, but obvioulsy it depends on who you've got.

I hope Mr. Huddy gets some recognition from his boss for furthering thier cause. :)

17. dale223223

dale223223 What's a Dremel?

I'm not too impressed with JizzX so I think ATI is on the right track there.

However, this guy can project humility all he wants; it's going to be the one with the superior product at the best price (for a DX11 card) that gets my money when I upgrade.

18. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

This is a great interview, which brings me to this: ATI's quite humble when you compare it to Nvidia ever since the HD2000 fiasco, I'd post up the link but I'm too lazy, I do recall however an Anandtech article that interviewed the guy behind the HD4xxx series, and that was an awesome interview as well.

19. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

+1 This was a very enjoyable read. More interviews like this would be magic. Finally someone who doesn't talk bull****. I've read interviews from AMD and NVIDIA employee's before and got bored halfway through as they always end up promoting something.

20. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Top quality interview.

I've read the previous AMD/ATI interview were bit-tech staff was invited to the hq and had time to talk with 4000 series' mastermind.
    Made me proud to be owner of a ATI 4870 and now with this interview, made me even prouder of owning and AMD CPU and ATI GPU.

I mean AMD/ATI gets punched every time his competitors can and instead resourting to the same strategy, they stay clean and honest, like, "Just because they don't act with good faith and manners, it doesn't mean we should act like them, let's keep it our way".

Even if they don't do advertisement just like Nvidia or shoddy schemes like Intel, with this article they have managed it quite well, staying in the shadow and when the opportunity arrives they tell to the world what they've really done and let it be figured out by ourselves what to think of them and the result is right in front of our eyes.... Everyone aknowledges their methods and proffssionality.

Thumbs and hands up for being honest and true to the "game" and gamers. Got even more respect from me, an avid AMD/ATI supporter.

Oh, almost forgot, thank you Bit-Tech for having such great articles like these, you do deserve some credit after all

Edit: I got it wrong about the invitation to hq but I think i got the link from bit-tech since I don't read any other IT sites. Albeit that, thanks for the interview

Last edited: 7 Jan 2010
Tags: Add Tags