1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Introducing the CPC and bit-tech Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 May 2009.

1. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Yeah, I gave up because I couldn't hear it. The mic quality isn't the best.

(I am partially hearing impaired though)

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Start a good editor like wavelab/soundforge/audition or the open source Audicty, normalize the voice tracks, this way all audio volumes will be straightened, then add a little compression with a soft knee and a little eq to filter out the lows until it sounds 'natural' to the ear then eq the mid section around 1khz area a slightly higher so the voices are crisper.

If you have two people talking. Pan the secondary voice slightly to the right. the lead voice can be panned slightly to the left or leave it centered.

I did a lot of recordings with a Rode NT1 condenser mic in my studio. It is a extremely sensitive microphone, it pics up everything. One time even a heartbeat from a singer that just came to the studio on his bicycle, when we where setting up the mic for his needs we thought there was a bassdrum looping on the sequencer. While the singer was rehearsing lyrics into the mic.

So I know it can be hard to record voices.

When recording live, especially when talking use a pop filter if possible.

3. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Thanks for all the suggestions Obiwan - we used to use Audacity as the recording app, but stopped because it doesn't do multi-track recording and we wanted to level volume per person in sotware. Can Audacity now do multi-track recording? At the moment we're recording in GarageBand (to get separate channels and do compression and leveling) then amplifying in Audacity (I amplified the track lots for the long podcast) as GarageBand can't do this very well.

Any advice to make the process quicker and give a better output would be greatly appreciated!

4. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Guys, thanks for getting it going with podcasts, have been missing the CPC ones ever since they stopped (must be mad but there ya go).

Now we get the combined podcast which is kinda cool - keep up the good work an all that.

HOWEVER, can you all keep your gobs next to the mics as some of you fade in and fade out, some are quiet some are not etc you get the idea. Problem starts when someone quiet talks, I turn up the volume and then someone decides to eat the microphone and deafen me!

Anyway, cheers. Welcome Back!

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah hard to hear.. cause looks like you started close to the mic.. then guys ended up settling away from it.. I can fix that with hard limiting and come back with noise reduction to clean up the background hiss.. least it would be something you could listen to =]

6. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

I was looking forward to this, but really disappointed with the sound! Sorry. I'm sure it would have been a good podcast but I had to give up after 5 minutes the sound was ridiculously quite and people kept fading in and out?

I'm sure it will get corrected over time and more experience producing them. - looking forward to the next one.

Good Luck with it all!

7. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

People with volume problems - are you talking about both episodes of the podcast, or is one worse than the other?

8. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I've only started listening to the main part. Tried listening in the car on the way home from work - I can't do it. If I put the volume up to a level where I can hear everyone talking, then whoever it is that likes to laugh an inch from the microphone tries to blow out my speakers :(

Normalise the volume!!

9. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Sifter3000

You guys need to keep the mics the same constant distance from your mouths all through the cast. I know that might sound hard but its really obvious when you guys are chatting that someone has sat back in their chair or stretched ... or maybe even walked out the door halfway through a sentence ...

OK, I exagerate s tiny bit. Can you guys do it with headsets?

At least that way the mics stay a constant distance and we don't get deafened or strain to hear whats going on.

10. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

an example ...

mumble
    mumble
    mumble
    mumble
    (I turn up volume to compensate)
    mumble
    mumble
    mumble
    THE CAFFEINE IN THIS REDBULL MAKES MY PENIS SHRINK REALLY BAD
    mumble
    mumble
    mumble

(worried look from girlfriend)

:eyebrow:

11. thehippoz

I sent tim a fixed version in his pm's yesterday.. you guys can use that- it's was pretty bad before, not even really audible.. I had to pimp some old school algorithms and then cull the noise out by taking a sample- but it turned out pretty good.. I can just post here if you guys want

12. thehippoz

lemme do the other podcast too.. I started to listen to the other one and then said in my fake british accent.. raabbish!! :D

13. thehippoz

14. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

hippoz! Cheers!

sounds fantastic now!

15. thehippoz

thanks =] it's actually a good podcast- tim seems to know his stuff.. I dunno about the editor XD he sounds like he likes to swing the ding around- thats his job XD.. and getting drunk off energy drinks is something I can relate too

Tags: Add Tags