1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invasion of privacy

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Spaceraver, 27 Aug 2010.

1. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Seems Big Brother is awfully close. How do the guys across the pond feel about this?

"Government agents can sneak onto your property in the middle of the night, put a GPS device on the bottom of your car and keep track of everywhere you go. This doesn't violate your Fourth Amendment rights, because you do not have any reasonable expectation of privacy in your own driveway - and no reasonable expectation that the government isn't tracking your movements."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/085992...lYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDdGhlZ292ZXJubWVu

Must say that is scary as hell. :grr:

2. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Yeah, it's not exactly liberal. Unfortunately if you park your car on the street or in your driveway you apparently have no reasonable belief that it won't be interfered with.

Which is bollocks.

This is a clear-cut case of a judge reaching a decision on how he wants the case to end, and then doing the working backwards.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Not only should you expect a right to privacy on your own land, any unauthorised (by you) intrusion onto your land surely counts as trespass? And surely there are laws that prevent unauthorised tampering with your property (i.e. your car)?

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

This only applies in the 9th circuit. and, so far, in this case. Trust me, the debate is far from over. As the article states, there is another case where a different appeals court ruled that extended GPS tracking with out a warrant was in violation of the 4th.

5. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

You could get a GPS jammer but i'm sure they are not legal(?) in America and they probably cost a bit of dosh.

6. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

not right.. they need another judge to look at this

7. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I'm not sure what the issue is. Governments of all shapes and sizes undertake such actions, and usually don't bother worrying about legality. Whether it is legal or not will not determine how much it is used...

On the other hand, if it's like RIPA and the Terrorism Act in the UK, it will be one of those things that, now legalised, will be abused by all sorts of government agencies... forget organised crime, why don't we intercept communications, tail individuals and stakeout the house of a family suspected of not living in the appropriate catchment area of a school, or stop photographers from exercising their legal right to take photographs.

8. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Unlike the UK, which relies on previous tort law, we have enshrined the right against unreasonable search and seizure in the 4th amendment. As technology grows we need to sort out how and when they are to be used.
    Not true. When you gather intelligence, how you use it is often constrained by how you got it. Example: we might know who a drug dealer is through NSA intercepts, but because it was obtained by an agency tasked with external actions, it can't be used in a court of law and not the basis for an arrest. We would have to use agencies tasked with domestic law enforcement and use methods that can be upheld in a court. Another example is the men held in Guantanamo Bay. We are having a hard time with convictions due to how information was gathered.

Our USA Patriot act, while abhorrent, is aimed primarily at the federal level. The question posed in these 2 cases is a local law enforcement one. Do you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in regards to being tracked by GPS over time and with out the oversight of a judge issuing a warrant? So far, it's one for and one against, and this will be decided overtime as there are more cases like this.

9. Jimbob94

Jimbob94 New Member

But I live in Dorset...:worried:

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ Ah, well, you're screwed either way. :hehe:

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'd love to be the subject of GPS tracking.

They'd see that I walked from home to either; trainstation, pub, off-license.

They'd also see that, occasionally, I get in a car, go to Leicestershire, and run around shooting at people all afternoon.

Best thing about not being paranoid: I know damn well I'm not interesting enough for my government - Or any for that matter - To want to watch me. As such: Bring on the GPS tracking!

Side note: Nexxo, living in Birmingham, do you really have space to poke fun at Dorset? I've spent about a week psyching myself up to go to the Apple store to get my mums Macbook looked at >.>

M7ck likes this.
  12. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I personally go with the idea that anyone who comes onto your property without permission is trespassing. At which point varying amounts of smash are to be dealt onto their skulls for such an insult.

Obviously the world doesn't work like this, but hell...funny if it did.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The "I've got nothing to hide/I'm not important enough" argument has been used before, but that didn't help, for instance, the 85% of the former East German population that was being spied upon by the other 15% (yup, that is one informant/agent per six citizens). Most of those spied upon were ordinary citizens leading the ordinary humdrum lives that were the typical mode of existence in a poor-ass Communist state. Some of them even got arrested because observations of ordinary activities of daily living were misconstrued in the light of paranoid suspicion.

Power corrupts. If you give the government power, it will almost inevitably abuse it. People shouldn't have to worry about their government --it should be the other way around. There should be firm and precise rules regulating and constraining the powers that they are privileged to use.

You know what they say: those who poke fun are overcompensating for their own insecurities. But Birmingham is not too bad --if your car is secretly bugged by the government it probably gets stolen before it can reveal your personal movements. :p

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

To be honest, if it ever got to that stage here I'd have bigger issues than people watching where I went (The small collection of airsoft weaponry, and apparently the general publics inability to tell them from the real thing) :p

Haha, yeah, I suppose that is one positive for Birmingham!

I dislike the city centre more than anything. I just can't stand going there for anything, unless I absolutely have no choice. Everything seems so.. Dirty, not to mention the hordes of usually rude people. And now I sound like a snob, woop!

15. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Member

I'm not sure if the theif will get away during rush hour if he/she stole it then in birmingham :p.