1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Investors nervous of Starcraft 2 delays

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jul 2009.

1. mikkig

mikkig Big Giant Robot

This is why I never really understand how things like the stock market exist. Someone said something and on heresay this makes other people think something -might- be wrong and on that basis the value of something falls. It's like high school gossip: "I heard that Jonny has lice" and then nobody goes near Jonny. They don't actaully know if it's true or who first heard about, but they react on assumtion.

I agree if you've invested in something then you have a certain right to look after your investment, but then if you'd done your homework you should know how Blizzard works and it's track record. If I were an investor I wouldn't be worried.

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yup, that's all the stock market is. Assumptions and betting. But there are no horses or greyhounds. ;)

Thing is, investors are always worried. Particularly the big ones... as the more money you have, the more you want and the more protective you are of it. Out of all my friends, the richest one is the biggest skinflint.

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

and a slap in the face.. future cop right there

4. Marc5002

Marc5002 What's a Dremel?

i can't wait ti beta phase and i doubt of blizzard ever release something that is not a Great hit : even culture hit ! All what blizzard did became a cult-game something that is know for million of people : only few game universe are that big and known and played

the Starcraft / Warcraft / Diablo Franchise will remain a culture hit & in expansion of Growing to get more product related to those saga Even tough in Blizz **** 2009 they may reveal a detail of what is the 4th Franchise they working on a new Game universe

tough you all know : blizzard as only 3 on-going universe : there will come a 4th and that 4th we dont' know any of it potential and is pretty risked in blizzard domain i think so it sure now it activision-blizzard but i hope it don't affect anything of it Quality in future

Let hope Activision With Call of duty Modern warfare II & w/e else they making and not put blizzard in doom to reduce quality of the game they working hard : I hope the beta to give them lot of information of how to make this game faster

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Stop saying beta. It makes it harder and harder to wait :(

I hope I get in. It would make my life.

6. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

It's better to delay the deadline if the software will be buggy than to push something out the door just to meet a deadline. I've been developing software for 8.5 years now, the last 1.5 years managing schedules and releases for multiple software products. If I don't think the product meets the requirements, I go to my bosses and tell them flat out that more time is needed to get the product right.

Ultimately, great software development outfits focus by providing a product that the customer will be satisfied/pleased with. By doing so, you make money, therefore satisfying stockholder requirements.

All that being said, excessive overun of deadlines can be a sign of poor management and costs money. Only someone who really understands the business of software development and works within Blizzard on this effort can really pass judgement on whether or not this delay is a good thing or a sign of mismanagement.

In the past I've really enjoyed Blizzard games. I own Diablo, D2, LOD, WarCraft (1-3 but not WOW, I don't agree with monthly subscription fees), and the original Starcraft. I'll wait till the product releases and play the game before I draw any further conclusions.

7. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Investors absolutely should be worried... they invest in a company with the idea that they will get their money back and then some. If the game is being pushed back on the date further and further (which we all know is the case) then the investors money is not doing anything for them. If the game gets released, blizzard makes money, investor makes money, every one is happy... but the game gets pushed back, which lowers revenue (do to a much anticipated game not being sold), investor sees much lower amount of return on investment, and blizzard might not be as worried, but gamers and investors are not pleased.

But honestly I think its 100% cow poop anyways... splitting the game into three parts? yeah... its "for the good of the game" or whatever horse s**t they tried to feed us. We're not stupid. Blizzard has become more and more about the money over the years... and if that is not a well known fact, it damn well should be. I understand you are in business to make money... nobody expects any different. But when you start a company that produces video games I would assume you have a certain dedication to your loyal gamers to keep things legit and affordable, and not empty their wallet...

I had a buddy who used to work for them and did Quality Assurance... he worked for them for 7 years, then left to work with Webzen (a company whose MMO is called Mu, not extremely well know or NEARLY as big as WoW but still popular). When I talked to him after he switched companies he told me the difference was unbelievable. He made 3x as much working for a much smaller company, didn't have to do as much work/ break his back for nothing, and was happier doing it.

According to him Blizzard showed lots of favoritism while he was there, which is something that any big company should ALWAYS try to avoid. Personally... I'm not crazy about Blizzard as a company. They DO put out damn good, high quality, original games with entertaining game play... but that does not mean that they are ultimately a "good" company. They might be a high quality company... but I feel like that statement needs to entail ethics and costumer care as well as quality and reliability.

I have no doubt that when SC2 gets released it will kick ass, hell... i pre-ordered 2 days after it was permitted. But since doing so it has been a constant onslaught of disappointments. Firstly we dish out 50+ bucks (in the US at least) for a game we have drooled over since its announcement, which is well deserved. Secondly we have been BEYOND patient with the push back of due dates, thirdly we have coped with the knowledge of the game being split into three separate releases.

But no on top of that news, which to me personally pretty much said "hey this might be to make us more money, but at least you get the game quicker." Yeah... apparently not. So what, now are we going to have to wait another 8 months for only 1/3 of a game? and then pay 50$ a piece for each installment? Excuse me? Baking powder? Thats a load if I've ever heard one...

I just pray Blizzard can get their act together and that the investors put a little more pressure on them to put Starcraft out before gaming is out of style...

now excuse me while I catch my breath. :hehe:

8. Marc5002

Marc5002 What's a Dremel?

you sure 50$ a piece each expansion ? there only two more expansion i tough they could cost like 29.99$ Or 40.00$ & Bundle for new-comers

they said one Double-DVD per Race campagn : Terran : Protoss : zerg Which should make a campagn Extremely big and detailed in theory. anyway i know it weird to make 3 DVD instead of 1 Expansion : Wc3 / WC3 TFT it was worth it so much the expansion and costing at start 29.99$$ : and Wc3 : 49.99$ : then : both 30,00$ or Battle-Chest which ad both for 35-40$

Anyway people should see how the First release Before Really judge the Two Expansion incoming to complete Story Line : We hope it high quality as we want of them : beside if it release in 2010 i doubt to be as any later then February the game unit look pretty much all completed all that is need is Balancing / Mission in campagn

But It seem that blizzard said D3 for 2009 Holiday hopefully it True

9. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

no i'm not sure, i had said (or meant to say if i didn't put it correctly) that I HOPED it would not be 50$ per race. And honestly based on my personal opinion of Blizzard I would not be surprised if that was the case.

In my mind charging a pre-purchase price of 50 dollars and then after having LOADS of people pre-order... suddenly releasing a statement saying "the game will now be released in three parts..." is screwing the people who have already paid for what they thought was going to be the entire game.

But who knows... maybe they will have some system for those people like myself who have already paid for it, but i kind of doubt it.

10. Kharrn

Kharrn What's a Dremel?

Lets have a breif look at Blizzards Sucsess so far

WoW game totally re-writen Delayed massively - one of the biggest or Biggest money making game of all time hmm took time to egt it right?

Diablo 1 & 2 and Starcraft all Delayed Massive Sales still sells now years later not just for Christmas

I realy hope they tell the Shareholders where to stick it.....

1/2 a million more sales by Christmas releasing a poor game or 10 million sales more over up to 10 years due to releasing the best games in there class but then hay £1 in my pocket now is better then several million later right?

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Battle.net to blame:
    No, they couldnt just use Steam. They had to fraction even more the PC gamers into another service. :wallbash: And monetise it.
    All of that before the merge with Activision.

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Of course! If we have the money to buy gaming capable computers, rather than significantly cheaper consoles... we're made of money! Might as well milk as much as possible out. I was already planning on waiting for a 'Starcraft II Battle Chest" type deal with all three games in it (hopefully for a reduced price) rather than buy each bit individually... but if Battle.net does turn into another XBL I probably won't bother... how many more of these things do we need? Steam, EA Downloader, GfWL, Battle.net, Stardock Impulse... it's going to end up every other developer has their own mechanism.

Honestly, I used to dislike EA and be fairly neutral toward Activision... I'm now beginning to dislike Activision as much as EA.

Tags: Add Tags