1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor IOMEGA Zip Drive help needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Somer_Himpson, 4 Sep 2012.

1. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I need to retrieve data from some old Iomega Zip 100 disks. I’ve a couple of Iomega Zip 100 drives with parallel port adapters. My understanding is that I can’t use later versions of Windows because of a lack parallel support. My only XP machine is an old laptop with PCMCIA and USB ports. Does anyone know if this adapter, http://intrl.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Parallel/1-Port-Parallel-EPPECP-CardBus-Adapter~CB1PECP, will work with the Iomega Zip 100 drive or anyone got any other suggestions.

2. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

As long as the PC has a parallel port, could you not load up a live linux distro and copy the data off that way?
    I'd make sure that the live distro you use supports casper for keeping any changes you make as looking over this dated ubuntu forums post you may need to play about with it to get it to work.

3. asura

asura jack of all trades

Frankly you could pick up a usb zip drive from ebay for less cost than that port, then just pop it back on when you're done with it.

4. jrisch

jrisch What's a Dremel?

Thanks, guys, Somer_Himpson posted on my behalf while I registered for the forum.

The linux route is probably too complicated for me as I have minimal knowledge of linux. I could be easier to make the desktop. a Dell Inspiron 530, dual-boot to Windows XP. That's one option.

The interface I linke to in the original post, I can get for £10 on eBay, the original link was just for the spec. Not sure if I can get a USB Zip 100 for that in the UK, but I'll have a look on eBay.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers, J

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

When I worked in a lab I found problems with the USB-to-Serial adapters connecting to computer controlled instruments, but the StarTech PCMCIA-to-Serial cards worked fine.

Hopefully parallel ports will be the same.

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Send me the zip disks & I'll burn the data on to CD for you

7. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I was going to say similar to saspro... I've got a Zip100 (usb) and a Zip250 drive (ide) lying around..

8. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

I think I've got a USB drive somewhere, it's yours for £15 posted if you like (and I can find it!)