1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iOS 4.3 available on iTunes now

Discussion in 'Software' started by GreatOldOne, 9 Mar 2011.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Just downloaded, activated personal hotspot and i'm posting this from my MBP connected to my phone. Brilliant! :)

I'm on Three, BTW - They don't charge you extra for tethering, and it appears that this holds true for the hot-spot as well.

Off to see what else there is - I need to see how this new home sharing - stream to your iOS devices thingy works... :D

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Thinking about it... hm... i think i miss this one on my jailbreaked Apple TV running XBMC :D.

3. GreatOldOne

two devices connected simultaneously now - MBP & Mrs Goo's iPad, and it's working like a charm :)

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it's not for my iphone 3g :-(

5. GreatOldOne

Home share / stream is quite neat - turn it on in settings -> iPod by giving it your home share ID & Password

If you haven't set up home sharing yet, in iTunes go to Advanced -> home share, and follow the instructions on screen. The ID and password you use here is what you need on your iDevice.

After that, when you go into the iPod on the phone you'll see the shared iTunes library in the 'more' section of the iPod. Select that, and it'll query the remote library, get the track listings and off you go.

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

What i would give for mount_smb or mount_nfs on my Apple TV 2G. Wait, apple doesn't want us to do that :).

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

but home sharing requires itunes to be running, sort of pointless when there's a synology perfectly capable of streaming using their built-in App, anywhere with 3G :D

wifi tethering: MyWi.

anything to actually tempt me from 4.2.1? 4.2.1's free MobileMe was well worth the update. can't see anything worth the effort of re-installing, reconfiguring jailbroken apps.

8. GreatOldOne

Well, I have iTunes running all the time on my Server, for whole house audio and as a back up of mine and MrsGoo's personal libraries on our MacBooks.

It's nice to be able to find music on the server and play it when it isn't on the iPod / iPhone without having to re-sync... And of course, it's not restricted to music. Video works as well - so if you have a large movie or TV library, you don't have to sync it to your iDevice to watch it now.

I was watching Human Planet on MrsGoo's iPad from the Server last night, and it's as good as having it locally on it.

As for wether it's worth you jail breakers going for it? I dunno. I've never jailbroken - and the only thing I would have wanted to do it for (MyWi) is now available in 4.3 for free.

wyx087 likes this.
  9. wyx087

cheers. rep+, looks like i'll be staying at 4.2.1.

although another thing for the update is the new safari engine, which apparently speeds up browsing. have you noticed anything?

yeah, i don't have a itune capable server. only a synology NAS. it runs old useless itune server which isn't compatible with home sharing :( but i've got AirPlayer (an app) which pulls video off DLNA servers and runs most video up to 720p or 1080p with moderate bit-rate on A4 chip devices.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2011
  10. GreatOldOne

It's snappier. ;)

I haven't benchmarked it, but it feels faster - Apparently it's the Javascript engine that's been souped up. Most reviewers are saying it's about 2x times faster than it was.

I will tell you that the Gooster build website seems to load a lot faster, and it's got quite a bit of JS on it - so I stand by my original statement. :)

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Downloading the installer at work now... Can't wait.

12. wyx087

13. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I'm using it just because it's the latest and greatest. AT&T wants me to pay for tethering and I already miss SBSettings. I hope a JB for this is out soon.

14. GreatOldOne

Jailbrakers - you won't have long to wait. 4.3 has been cracked already:

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/03/11/ios_4_3_jailbreak_alpha/

Tags: