1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other iPhone 3gs 32gb or Nokia N900

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nukeman8, 11 Jan 2010.

?

Iphone 3gs 32gb or Nokia N900?

Poll closed 13 Jan 2010.
  1. Iphone

59.1%
  2. N900

40.9%
  1. nukeman8

nukeman8 New Member

I been actively hunting like mad for a Nokia N900, however the only company as of yet to do 1 on contract are vodaphone and they plain out refuse to give me a contract.
    So i figured i would try and get the highest costing phone from who i was already with (o2) and then sell it and then buy a N900 outright.

So o2 has kindly gave me the option of upgrading to the top end iphone extremely cheaply,
    18 month contract, £35 p/m, 600 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited web with the iphone for free.

Now that its on its way im not 100% convince which phone to stick with.

I have always been against the iphone just for how apple keep it so under wraps, the non replaceable battery really irritates me along with the 3mp camera, no card slot and dodgy bluetooth (which may have improved?)

Compared to the N900 which seems to beat it in every way possible. High quality camera, lots of onboard memory plus a card slot, support for lots more video formats and looks better (imo)

The only thing that worries me is how new and how the N900 hasn't really taken off yet or if it will ever take off and get app support.

I just feel like im missing something with the iphone, it has huge hype and i cannot see why, many phones now beat it spec wise and cost wise. Im just assuming its simply selling due the massive status its got?

2. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

If it was me I would stick with the iphone however it is all down to personal taste. I have a deep hatred for Nokia phones.

3. Damski

Damski New Member

I got the blackberry storm when that came out cos it was either that or the iPhone. I now have the iPhone and my blackberry collects dust. The iPhone is epic tbh I didn't think a phone could be this usefull and have such an array of apps to use on it. Only thing it's missing is google goggles that's on android phones ATM.

4. nukeman8

nukeman8 New Member

im in the exactly same boat as you was then, its either iphone or the n900.
    The only thing going for the iphone is the amount of apps available, im just iffy about going with a phone solely based on apps alone.

5. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Have iPhone, it rocks, my brother's Blackberry contract ends soon and he's getting one too. It is literally amazing how useful it is and since there's over 100,000 apps in the Store you're unlikely to be disappointed. It's not just the apps, though - everything else about the phone (bar the camera, eurgh, though who uses phone cameras) is extremely solid, especially the screen and multitouch.

6. bladerunner168

bladerunner168 New Member

Neither TBH, Sony X10 is out next month, Google Nexus One soon.

Android Cheesecake.

7. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

I absolutely love my nexus one to death, so fast, so streamlined and so capable. Puts my dads iPhone 3gs to shame running with its tail between its legs.

Nexus One 1ghz Snapdragon > 3Gs 600mhz proc :thumb:

Android >>>>>>> iPhone OSX :thumb:

8. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk New Member

Nexus 100%

Love my Hero, and a similar phone, with more powerful processor and OLED screen = drool.

9. nukeman8

nukeman8 New Member

i thought the nexus wasnt out in the uk yet?
    Anyway what can do these phones do that others cant?
    whats everyones main reason for picking 1 over the other?

10. bladerunner168

bladerunner168 New Member

TBH, there isn't one killer thing that one OS can do and the other one can't.

I just despise the fact that one camp makes me take up tarrifs that are overlong and overpriced just so I can get their hardware.

Can yea gis waditis yet?

11. nukeman8

nukeman8 New Member

Amen to that, still this contracts a 18 monther which is about the lowest you can get 1 these days.
    I just dont want to get drawn in into a fan boy war over different phones. Which unfortunately all the reviews i read comparing different phones to the iphone are always very biased to the iphone. Always banging on about the apps and not once mentioning its downsides while listing the other phone as being a "huge disappointment". Its just so hard to find a non biased functional look at the main smartphones

12. flapjackboy

flapjackboy New Member

Except Multitasking. The iPhone still can't do that yet, whilst many of his competitors can. Hell, even my SE k800i can run more than one application at once.

Also proper keyboard Cheesecake on the N900.

13. nukeman8

nukeman8 New Member

Its the keyboard thats kept me so interested in it, i had a play on 1 and its so easy to use.

also no memory card slot is a huge downer for me. Trying to find what out what the iphone has improved on since version 1 is extremely hard, like is there support for flash now? Is bluetooth usable?
    Everytime i try and search for the bad points about the iphone i get everything about jailbreaking it.

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Nokia is NOT the way to go ATM. Especially the build quality of the N-series is ********. Symbian only suits somewhat-clever phones and maemo just is nothing yet. That said, I would never get the iPhone either.

Some days ago I messed with my friends Motorola Droid and it was an impressive bit of kit both physically as well as because of the Android. The keyboard also seemed decent, despite the smaller size (compared to N900) it didn't feel any less useful.

Just look elsewhere if you can! And decide what you really WANT and NEED. Me, for example, just can't stand the touchscreen malarkey. I both NEED and WANT a proper keyboard. It makes choosing a lot easier...

15. nukeman8

nukeman8 New Member

Think my main problem is the closest phone i had to a smartphone has been a N95 so i havent
    much of a clue what better phones can do compared to 1.
    • Like you i will need the keyboard, touch screen will only end up driving me up the wall.
    • Has to support/be able to do Sat Nav, saves me buying 1 then.
    • Needs to be good to play videos on
    • A decent camera while not a must would be preferred
    • Needs to keep me entertained so basically needs to be good with games, i originally thought about the N900 as i heard its been running ps1 emulators among other things.

other then that everything else is just icing on the cake. i would go for the nexus one but would mean waiting until its out and i havent got a clue when it is

16. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

There's an app for that. :D

17. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'd recommend to take a look at the Droid. From what I've seen the camera is also decent. Not sure about the games, but being Android it will have the same games as any other device...

I also have N95 now and if only I had money to get something else, I'd throw that pile of **** at the wall.

18. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

Motorola Milestone (Droid in US) if you like a keyboard and want an Andriod phone.

I have an Acer Liquid, nice cheap phone but pretty well featured Snapdragon android device, 768Mhz, 800x480 screen, £300 from pixmania sim free.

I run pay as you go on 3, I experience sub 100ms pings, 3.6Mb download and 1.6 upload, none of my friends with a 3gs can touch that sort of performance on O2 or Orange, reckon its because phone companies have wised up to iPhone downloads and have capped them. My phone seems to do pretty much everything you can do with an iPhone.

Android probably not as good for gaming as iPhone though, probably only a matter of time, the neocore benchmark looks as though snapdragon can handle 3d very well though so I doubt there is any reason not to be many games other than a percieved lack of popularity of Android vs iPhone.

19. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Posting this from my N900, deffo go for the N900.

I got mine from the Nokia shop, & I'm using a Sim only deal on 3.

Much cheaper than a contract.

20. nukeman8

nukeman8 New Member

Well its now the N900 or the nexus one, got an iphone 3gs on contract and selling it to raise the funds for either of them 2.

The only problem with the n900 for me would be availability of apps