1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iPhone 4 issues reported

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 24 Jun 2010.

1. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

i concur

On a side note, whats peoples opinions on the X10 experia?

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Jun 2010
  2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

One of the top Android phones. Just that apparently quite a lot of people don't like it for some reason.

3. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

I was having a play with one in the carphone warehouse a couple of months ago, seemed like an awesome phonwe and was gonna get it but the guy there said it was brand new out and he couldnt give me much info on reliability, battery life etc so i left it lol

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

Did you hear the latest?

Steve Jobs to Lefties: Hold the iPhone 4 differently or buy a case!

I can't believe people will take this **** for granted. Only apple fans will say this is a feature or a new good way to hold your phone...

I believe it is done on purpose. So Apple can sell expensive cases.

5. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK New Member

It's all a case of apple bitten off more than they can chew, release the ipad in the same month the iphone 4 is released, I had 2 ipads returned them with dead pixels on the screen, got a refund lost interest now....

6. Psytek

Psytek New Member

The screen discoloration is because of the bonding agent they use to attack the glass/touch surface/lcd, apparently they are being maufactured and shipped to consumer so fast that the bonding agent is still not fully dry/set. Users are reporting that over time the yellow patches go away as the agent dries.

7. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper New Member

Because Sony Ericsson aren't know for reliability and build quality when it comes to phones

8. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

As said a couple of times, there's not enough of an 'upgrade' in the new phone to warrant people with a 3GS 'upgrading' to the 4... Combine that fail with dual-sided glass that shatters with a foot drop (as reported), and you've got yourself a crippled device that will be adopted by the majority of society simply because the 'OMG IT'S A NEW APPLE' craze is still here.

What's new?

There's a front facing VGA resolution camera that you can only use for video conferencing when you have a Wifi connection, which defeats the purpose of putting it on a mobile device. Oh, and there's now a flash on the camera so you can capture the extra two mega pixels that the rest of the world has had for the past year in low-light conditions!

In all seriousness, upping the processor speed and increasing the pixel density is NOT enough to warrant a whole new device. The screen is the same size, the applications are the same (and since they're all made to run on ALL iPhone / iTouch devices, they will limit the processor in the iPhone 4), the OS is the same... Even the argument that it's thinner is out because with the extra glass on the back you'll HAVE to get a hard case like an Otterbox just to keep your phone from breaking when the inevitable drop occurs. I literally see ZERO reason to upgrade to an iPhone 4 if you've already got a 3GS.

I think I'll stick with my Evo 4G and my customizable Android OS.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Can't say I ever had problems with call quality on my 3G for the 20 months I've had it.

In fact, in tricky spots of the hospitals where I work (wards with lots of screened walls because of imaging equipment) I can pick up a signal where many other phones can't. Turns out that the common denominator is the telecom provider. O2 works fine, others like Orange don't.

I doubt that your local Starbucks will have 670 WiFi hosts in the same room.

No, this is a case of Apple trying to churn them out fast to keep up with consumer demand. Apple really should just slow down to ensure quality control, but then people will moan that they can't get their shiny toy now. On the other hand, of the two million iPads sold we have had very few complaints, so I guess that 99.9% of the time it functions just fine.

We've been there before. All new products have their teething problems --it is why I'm not an early adopter on principle (yes, I'm eligible for the iPhone 4 upgrade. No, I'm not queueing for one. I'm kind of busy working for a living right now. I'll get one in a few months when the hysteria has died down).

What I can't get my head around is that people actually think that this is an inherent design flaw; that the kind of design engineers who work for a multi-million dollar company would not have thoroughly tested their new antenna design and taken body contact conductivity/interference issues into account (usually touching an antenna improves reception, by the way). The signal issue may just be a software glitch of iOS 4. People have been able to replicate the issue on up-flashed 3G's and 3GS's. I have as well --holding my 3G in the lower left corner loses a bar of the signal. Interestingly, people have also observed that even when the indicator shows no signal left at all, call quality is just fine.

Similar problems have been reported on the Google Nexus One. It is just something that is inevitable in mobile devices. I expect that there will just be a firmware update and the problem will be sorted.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2010
  10. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Guys, I have a case for my 3G made by a company called Vaja. The point is that those who worry about having issues or already have issues should check them out, I believe the positioning of the leather may well stop the issues due to restricting the shorting of the various antenna. They aren't cheap, but they are v sexy ... or at least I love mine. I've only just found out that they do iPad leather cases as well ...

Vaja

EDIT: ... gutted, coming soon.

11. Tokukachi

Tokukachi New Member

Well Just got done returning mine to O2, this phone, it its current state is useless. I'm right handed but have large hands and there no way i can hold the phone to my ear without touching the lower left corner, other than holding it like an idiot clamped between my thumb and index finger or right at the top.

Unfortunately i live in an area where I only get 1-2 bats, and as soon as i pick it up it drops down to none and then searching so is in fact, useless :(

There were 2 other people in the O2 store returning it for the same reason while I was there.

Pics of how I hold a phone (3GS now substituted for 4g).

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd341/Neat693/iphone1.jpg
    http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd341/Neat693/iphone2.jpg

This is how is is in my hand when its next to my ear and feels very natural for me, i'm sure someone will tell me i'm holing it wrong somehow...

It's a shame, as apart from this it appeared to be a great upgrade from the 3gs, now I just have to wait for my account to be transferred back onto my full size sim.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Many people report no reception issue at all, so perhaps you could try a different unit.

This reminds me of a similarly peculiar issue with the Palm IIIc. Initially there was a problem with the plastic casing on a batch of them --factory got the mix wrong somehow, making the cases slightly more brittle and prone to cracking. When people exchanged their cracked units, a new problem altogether manifested itself: with screen brightness turned up fully, graffity recognition went down the toilet. If you throttled the screen brightness down to below 50% it was fine.

The problem was: it took Palm ages to cotton on to this. People would return their IIIc for graffity problems and technical staff would reset the device and test it. Unfortunately the default value for screen brightness was 50% so of course they did not experience a problem; as such the units were shipped out as replacement for subsequent exchanges... I remember having to return my IIIc twice for that reason until I brow-beat them with the Sales of Goods act and TOLD them in no uncertain terms to FOR F*** SAKE TURN THE SCREEN BRIGHTNESS TO 100% BEFORE YOU TEST GRAFFITY RECOGNITION, one more dud unit and I would demand a refund. That solved the problem for me.

I would not be surprised if there was a batch of iPhone 4's with a capacitor or something that is slightly off value, or that there is a wonky relationship with screen brightness or something. The Palm IIIc story illustrates that many new devices have their teething problems. I'm sure anyone can think of anecdotes. Remember the floating point issue in the first Pentium chips? Sony laptops overheating? The Nvidia's 8800gt d.o.a. issue? The motherboard 'capacitor plague' of the early noughties? Sure you do. New tech always has problems. Complex new tech has complex problems.

13. kloisle

kloisle New Member

...um u can buy a third party case for like $19 tho...

lol
    Ok, ok; my iPhone 3GS is jailbroken and just as customizable as your droid dude. No you don't have to get a HARD case, just a rubberized one. Like every other phone, screen is the same but more pixels, HD video recording and multitasking; which all the app makers are modifying their apps for.

Plus the phone looks damn hot. I'm sure a lot of people drop their 'droids once and they break, but an iphone breaking is highlighted because there's a lot of hype surrounding it.

How many people have said they dropped their iPhone by accident and it broke? I read my 19 tech rss feeds everyday and I've only seen two reports of that happening so what were you saying?. If you jailbreak the iPhone 4 you can have multitasking of ALL apps, all the features of your Evo 4g and more.

Btw facetime will soon be using 3G.

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Jun 2010
  14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Most people would point out that you shouldn't have to heavily modify a piece of tech to function in a similar way to its competitors when it costs at least as much.

As far as busting an iPhone goes it isn't hard, compared to other touchscreen phones though? Who knows. Not many folks in truth.

kloisle please try and use proper language and grammar next time, that was absolutely abysmal.

15. BadHead

BadHead Member

This is why only an idiot or a mac fan boy (Same thing?) buys a first generation Mac product.

I have a iPhone 3GS and there's no problem with it. And I plan to buy an iPad sometime - but not until the 2nd or 3rd Generation.

16. BadHead

BadHead Member

Just to add to the above - the iPhone 4G can be considered a first egenration device as so many things in it are new, ecpecially the screen.

17. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

i think maybe a drop test should be first up. i would lol.

18. BadHead

BadHead Member

Yeah and they'd charge $150 for it - and they'd still be a whole big bunch of twats lining up outside Apple stores for hours to buy it.

19. BadHead

BadHead Member

And they'd still only get it right in the 2nd or 3rd generation.

The first generation would only have 4 fingers or something.

But the Mac fan boys would still call that a 'feature'

20. BadHead

BadHead Member

Although, in all seriousness, this'd be solved by a case. I've got a Alkr case for my 3GS. Don't know if they've started to make cases for 4G though.

Tags: Add Tags