1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iPhone 7...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rainbowbridge, 7 Sep 2016.

1. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

A few phones can actually output decent quality audio natively (obligatory 300 page headfi thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/662095/best-smartphone-for-audiophile :)).

Best bet these days though is a small portable dac/amp combo. Modern Android (and iPhone I think) will generally work with them and you really don't need a power hungry amp to get exceptional quality sound if you choose headphones that are easy to drive. As mentioned above Fiio make some nice stuff and an AudioQuest DragonFly will barely add any bulk at all.

2. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

If your happy with your 6plus why not drop down to a sim only plan and keep it anouther year?

And all this. Though I wouldn't brush off the need for an adapter with a "who cares". After all Murphy's law dictates when you need the adapter it'll be at home - or something like that.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

To be fair, I remember my original iPhone days having a 3.5mm adaptor in my wallet because the original iPhone doesn't accept all 3.5mm jacks. I personally don't see having an adaptor to be an issue.

But I want a new phone every 2 years, and I'd like someone else take the first year price hit. I've bought 4S on 5's release, 5S on 6's release.

Basically this means Apple get to sell the same phone twice!

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'm surprised they did this without adding wireless charging at the same time. Not being able to charge and listen at the same time (with non-wireless headphones at least) seems to rather impinge on the pretty common bedside/desktop listening while charging setup.

Actually I'm surprised they don't have wireless charging already full stop.

Any word on whether a charge and listen adaptor is possible?
    Also whether it's just a simple analogue passthough and the 3.5mm adaptor is just a dumb cable opening the door for 3rd parties?

5. rollo

rollo Modder

That's bad for you how? In regards to Apple selling something twice

6. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

I'm really on the fence this time.
    Usually I would be upgrading now, but I got a sim only contract this time with the thought of just buying the phone outright this time round. Usually saves a few quid.
    Now I have the iPhone 6 Plus but I'm just not sure the upgrade to the 7 plus is quite worth the £819 (even with selling my existing phone for £450-500)
    Apparently the iPhone 8 next year will be the game changer.
    The upgrade program looks interesting, but still not sure.
    -J

7. rollo

rollo Modder

I'll upgrade if I can use the upgrade program if not probably not in truth.

Then if the IPhone 8 is a big game changer then it's easy enough to upgrade.

8. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Losing the headphone jack benefits nobody but Apple - if you are after wireless audio why not launch the wireless headphones and leave the original socket?

It isn't about "saving space" because the headphone jack hardly uses any. What it is about is selling headphones - specifically Apple or Beats headphones that only work with Apple products. Fully expect Apple to be pushing high-end headphones on the premise that the sound quality is fantastic, due to the higher quality DACs.

And the best bit? Buy a set of headphones for your iPhone and you can't use it anywhere else. Brilliant. :lol:

Want to charge your phone and listen to music at the same time? Not possible, unless you're using wireless headphones - and then you have to charge those every 5 hours! :lol:

So - ditching the headphone socket makes perfect sense - if you're Apple Inc.

.... having said all of that, the iPhone 7 is a very impressive bit of hardware - the camera tricks, the updgraded screens, the finish and the waterproofing all look great. But - you're going to have to pay a lot of ££££ or €€€€ for the priveledge.

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat.

There was only one reason for dropping the 3.5 mm headphone jack, a business decision to make Apple more money. Apple know that however much people moan about it, they will still sell millions of iPhones.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Or just don't bother with listening to music on the phone and or with headphones at home:
    http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/system

11. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Will the Iphone 7 be used in any way for VR?

12. rollo

rollo Modder

No is a short answer.

VR is not big enough for Apple to bother with it is a brutal statement. Sales are pretty low of the 2 main PC VR devices and Sonys PSVR will determain if there is a real market or not.

iPhone 8 or whatever the next one is called may do VR depending on the above.

13. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

The lg v20 has a pretty banging DAC. The old v10 was also pretty excellent.

All that said, i personally believe most people don't need a super high end DAC or amp in a phone, the ambient noise from listening to music on public is likely to wipe out any gains unless you have a pair of CIEMs.
    This is probably also the reason for the lack of interest in equipping smartphones with the same quality of audio sources found in high end PMPs...most people can't tell.

Finally, if you're using a pair of HD800s or an Audeze LCD-4s straight from your phone then you should rethink your choice of audio chain.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Look at the Apple watch, some engineering team thought it would be cool and the execs approved its launch despite the technology to make a decent smartwatch being like half a decade in the future, so who really knows if they won't jump on the VR bandwagon sooner rather than later?

15. rollo

rollo Modder

They have sold alot of watches, More than most think.

VR bandwagon has already stalled, Its just way to expensive for your general user to consider it a good investment.

No one really knows what they will do, Whatever it will be I dout it will be before next september though. Which is likely when we will see another Iphone.

I still think VR glasses or AR glasses would be the Apple way.

16. nimbu

nimbu Modder

All of the phones in our household are on sim only contracts and I buy all of my phones offline. Yes the initial outlay is higher but its cheaper than the monthly payments to the phone provider.

Lets me replace my phone when I want rather than at the cycle refreshes.

My last renewal with EE, £16.99 per month, 16GB data, unlimited calls and texts. Free sky sports app too for 6 months, but I didnt want it.

17. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I spoke with EE yesterday and my renewal rates are. (on the 256gb iphone 7)

50 per month, 375 up front cost
    55 per month, 275 up front.
    60 per month, 150 up front.

I can afford the 50 per month (I also have a mint cased daily iPhone 6 plus 128gb to ease the cost, offloading it etc).

But the thing is, I don't want to.

Few reasons for this.

- A lot of people are saying the jump up is nothing and really to move from the 6 you need to wait for the 8 , due next year which will be a truly new IPhone experience.

- Those air pod headphones that are one of the selling points of the 7, they don't ship with the phone, they are a separate purchase.

The iPhone 6 is basically the iphone 7, unless your using the camera on a quite serious level, and you actually for some reason which I really can not even guess how you could get to that position, You find the phone slow?

How can you need your iPhone 6 to be any faster, what are you doing running factual generating visuals or some thing.

As I already have an IPhone 6 plus I could ask to do this drop down to SIM and hold out for a truly new iPhone to come out the IPhone 8.

Iphone 7 is like Windows ME, or Windows vista, or Windows 8.0 disappointing.

Unless your on an Iphone what? 4 /5 or lower, don't bother.

What is any one dong with their Iphone that they even need the power of a A10 chip?

I am still each day more than overly happy with my iPhone 6plus 128gb. I will be honest I really appericate and am found of my IPhone 6 plus.

The Iphone 7 is a bit of a disappointment, and what are apple even doing coming out with a jet black version whose reason for being is to upset people showing off minor abrasions as if they are huge starches, so people keep going back to the store for a fresh case?

Apple cant make a jet black smooth version that doesn't show up abrasions easily?

Iphone 8 plus 256gb a completely new experience Iphone, that's what I want.

Forget this upgrade, its out of date before it even lands.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

There is no guarentee it will be a Iphone 8 next year. People are making assumptions because of the whole 10th anniversary stuff.

I have a 6plus 128gb myself. Its a upgrade itch that needs scratching. Brought the phone on Apples website, If the Iphone 8 appears next year will buy that and give this to a familly member.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Think its similar reasons to PC upgrading, Want outdoes Need.

Mine at least get handed down to other members of familly, Biggest gain is usaully battery life, My old 5s on my usage did not last till 2pm, 6+ lasts a day no problem.

Probably did not need my current pc though. Still brought it lol.

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Need? Nah, we've already reached the age of good enough smartphones so no need to upgrade, but sometimes its fun to play around with new toys.