1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iPhone Game Center to arrive next week

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Sep 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Trying to resist a smutty pork and apple joke.......

I love how they now class the portible iDevices as Gaming handsets instead of portable media devices.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I love how the entire event was "iPod Touch is the best gaming device ever....here's a new game! It won't work on existing iPod Touch models!"

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It just wouldn't be Apple if you didn't have to routinely throw out your slightly older model for the new model which isn't noticeably quicker.

5. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

In their defense, the new ipods will likely be much quicker than existing ones. My girlfriend's ipod has struggled with a lot of things, and afaik the latest ipod predates the iphone 3gs in terms of hardware performance.

Now, please shoot me for defending Apple.

6. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I just messed about with this on my manager's iPhone 4 and I must say it looked remarkable. I can only hope it comes to Android as my AMOLED screen would make it look even better.

:D

7. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

jumping on the Microsoft base for a second how many of your are looking at win phone 7 that supports silverlight, C# and XNA

8. CharlO

CharlO What's a Dremel?

What a fugly image demo.

Also, I game, I don't need a social life, GTFO with the social gaming, let me alone.

BTW I do have a social life, work, friends, girl, but don't see any reason to social gaming.

9. reflux

reflux What's a Dremel?

Just ran the demo on my iPhone... colour me very impressed indeed. Along with the Rage demo that was shown a few weeks ago, things are going to get very rosy indeed for iOS gaming in the next year.

10. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Why exclude the 2nd gen touch? I understand the first gen, it has the slowest hardware out of all iOS devices, but the 2nd gen is the same as an iPhone 1st gen and 3G..

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

actually first 2 generations of touch and iPhone are all based on a horribly slow ARM9 processor. the exclusion is probably due to the lack of performance.

to be honest, the only reason Apple supports 3G in iOS 4 is due to their pricing model that sold 3G as cheap iPhone (and 3Gen ipod touch 8GB with same hardware as 2gen) if it wasn't for that, i highly doubt they will bother with a 3G/touch 2gen iOS4 release.

12. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

so that'll pretty much be iPhone 4 repackaged as iPod touch 3 which will later change to iPhone 5/iPod touch 4.

13. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

I had a go at this demo on a friends iphone 4 and it looks really good and better than anything I have seen coming out for the 3DS.

14. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

I for one will be shelving my 3GS for a WP7 when it comes out, quite looking forward to it. XBox Live integration, being able to play the same save between devices, and the push from Microsoft to get turn-based games on the platform (pleeeeeeease let there be Civilisation!)

15. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Very interesting ( i have a HTC Desire, equivalent or arguably better hardware) But i'm not that impressed on phones being gaming systems until they re-introduce hardware controls, touchscreen-only is nice for certain things but a significant handicap on MOST game types.

i don't agree with the evolution of gaming by covering up most of the gaming screen with inept touchscreen controls as being an improvement at all...

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I take it you speak from some basis of authority, having used both a 3G or iPod Touch and an iPhone 4, thus being able to make a reasonably objective comparison about their difference in speed.

17. liratheal

I've used, and this list could get long:

iPod Classic/Video/Original
    iPod Nano (1st generation, 2nd Generation)
    iPod touch (1st generation, 2nd generation)
    iPhone (All bar 3GS)
    iBook (G3, G4)
    Powerbook (G3, G4)
    MacBook (Early C2D)
    MacBookPro (Several versions, couldn't recite them all off the top of my head)

I've used my fair share of different versions, very often sequentially, to very often a very little appreciable notice in speed. The only time I genuinely said to myself "This is faster than what I've used before" was when I went iBook-Macbook Pro (For what it's worth, that list isn't perfectly sequential. Some were being used at the same time).

I base my dislike of Apples business plan on what I consider to be a fair experience with it :p

Edit: Oh, and there was supposed to be an air of "joke" in my original post, but hey :p

18. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I love my iPhone. I think the games are pretty good, but not amazing. Amazing for a portable device maybe, but compared to what I'm used to on my PC, it's pretty far behind. I hope this new stuff can close the gap a bit.

19. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well, there's no better way around it.

currently, you carry a phone in your pocket, and when you want to game, you game on it. single device in the pocket.

if there were an attachable controller, that would be 2 devices in your pocket. then going for a dedicated gaming device (eg. PSP) to save battery on the phone makes a lot more sense.

what Epic has done is to say: right, we are not going to be making FPS with this engine, we'll make RPG-like stuff. thus no need for real virtual analogue sticks. in the tech demo, there is an alternative control scheme by tapping on where you want to go on the screen. much like Monkey Island 2. and i think this method works on the touch screen, for a RPG.

20. liratheal

I carry a PSP with me 99% of the time.. And a laptop, phone, etc etc.

Hell, I can see that reliably moving to two laptops in the near future.

Tags: Add Tags