1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone released today

Discussion in 'General' started by Hells_Bliss, 29 Jun 2007.

1. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

So the iPhone is being released today in the States, anybody planning on buying one?

looks pretty, dunno how functional it'll be though. Thoughts on apple's try into a saturated market?

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I'm officially in the "my-phone-works-just-fine-thankyouverymuch" group. Ok, so it's a phone, and an ipod, and a web browser, and I hear it makes a mean omelette. But really, how much crap does one person need in a phone?

I read that there are some people actually paying other people just to stand in line for them; $100-$300 was the going rate, apparently. I think if you're paying $300 on top of the already rediculous asking price, then you're desperately seeking a status symbol, not a phone.

-monkey

3. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

It's makes calls, can text, and has a calendar, all in a good package, then that's all I need for a phone. For the iPhone, I can't wait to see what plans extremists have cooked up for remote bomb detonation. Because that touch screen makes terrorizing a whole lot cooler.

4. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I love the prada phone at the moment, I wouldn't mind giving the iPhone a go to see what it feels like.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ Same here. I think the iPhone will probably have the edge though.

6. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I might consider buying one in the uk when they come out in Q4, but only if the service contract isn't scummy like the AT&T one. Though i do have to admit free internet is good, and you have to hand it to them.

7. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

From what little time I played with it (ie selling one to a customer) it did seem pretty nice- a gorgeous phone and interface, but lacking in features really, especially considering how much it cost. If only someone made my XDA Orbit look as good as a Prada.:hip:

<A88>

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

It sure is expensive, veeeery expensive.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

Brilliant post :hehe:

10. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

Same here. Phone works fine and I just got a Zune.

People using the iPhone out on the street are sure to be targets for muggers since its hardly easy to be discrete while using it with that big screen. Also if I had one I'd be terrified that something would happen to the screen.

For the price you could buy an iPod, a phone and some internet anyway.

11. z3rb

z3rb +4 str +4 stam

If it were a Microsoft phone, which used exactly the same hardware, and software which was just as pretty, no one would give a ****.

12. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

I heard a rumor that the Mayor of Philidelphia is camping out for one. Me? Like I'd have that kind of money! Although I wouldent mind one just to look cool with.

Edit: it launches today (Friday) at 6:00pm EST right?

Last edited: 29 Jun 2007
  13. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've just got an SPV E650 and I'm loving it, btw. :cooldude:

14. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

I can't wait for the iPhone to hit our shores... even though it could only have GPRS and only a 2megapixel camera, but it's the greatest gadget ever released, it's history in the making and I want to be able to say in ten years or so "I owned an iPhone, oh yes, I am 1337" maybe thats a little shallow but its going to blow apart the tech world in ways we can't imagine...

15. Nexxo

But it is not a Microsoft phone with the same hardware and software as pretty. Kind of the whole point here...

16. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I think you're overreacting. The iPhone does nothing new apart from look nice.

17. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Gonna get it engraved with "IRIMiPHONE"?

Seriously, it's just a sexy looking phone. It's like saying a ferrari f430 would change the history of cars forever, it's just a nice looking car.

18. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

I'm currently #31 in line at my local apple store.... they closed the store at 2 and put up some pretty blackout curtains over the storefront...

there's probably 70 or 80 people in line total here... supposedly you can get two phones per person, and the apple stores will have quite a few... the at&t stores are only reporting 10-20 phones per store.

I'll let you guys know how they are when i've got my hands on it

19. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

Not interested. Never really liked Apple, nor their business practices, and I don't think I care to spend $500-$600 plus $60+/month for a crappy EDGE-network-supported device. I'm sure the Apple-lovers will dig it though, and it will sell well in its own niche market.

20. Nexxo

No, it does nothing apart from being elegant. It does not only look better, it works better. Software is more intuitive and easy to use. Apps are better integrated. It is like a Windows Mobile PDA phone but polished. Thought about.