1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iPhone will be an AT&T exclusive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 23 May 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/05/23/iphone_will_be_at_t_exclusive/1

So many people have been lusting over the iPhone that it's almost obscene. Thanks to the delays between the US and EU, I've already had people begging me to import them one, no matter what the price. Unfortunately, that may be harder than it sounds - the iPhone will be an AT&T exclusive for five years, at least here in the States.

:eeek:

2. bilbothebaggins

bilbothebaggins New Member

5 Years?
    Isn't the turnover for mobile-phones something like 1-year-to-next-model?

3. identikit

identikit Active Member

Hahahahahahahahaha. How much are they going to be worth on the black market?! I can imagine gangs of people stealing them then selling them on to importers in the EU, who in turn unlock them and sell them on for profit. You'll be able to pick one up in the UK for a few hundred quid soon enough.

4. fev

fev Industry Fallout

iphones of no interest to me, where's the 3g? or even HSDPA

5. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I'm pretty sure it's a legal obligation for a company to provide an unlock code or something that will let someone unlock the phone.
    That said, GSM? As fev says above that's a waste of money, I'd expect at least 3g.

6. airchie

airchie New Member

Surprise surprise.

I remember my first mobile phone, all it had was cellnet written on the screen when it had a signal.
    And that's only cos I happened to have a cellnet SIM in it at the time.

I saw a friend's new phone recently and it had advertising for **** on the front screen llike a screensaver!

Sod that tbh!

7. olly_lewis

olly_lewis New Member

It'll probably be bumped from EDGE to 3G sooner or later and when it arrives in the UK it'll most likely have to be upgraded to 3G....

Either way, its gonna sell

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

here telephone companies normally lock the phones to their network and unlock them for a fee or after the date has expired on the contract, but you can buy unlocked phones in other shops but they cost a little more.
    CDMA? GSM? why don't they use 3G in the US? it seams that the US are still in the stone age in terms of mobile communications. :p

9. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

i really could care less about the Iphone ...now, if only Samsung would make Sprint a nice slider-phone like the LG Chocolate.. well.. then I'd really be interested :D

10. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Don't you mean you really couldn't care less about the iphone? I see people say "I could care less" all the time, when technically they're stating they care a lot about a product, it's odd, I wonder where it came from.

On the subject of the iphone itself: meh. I want my phone to be sturdy, reliable, and, excluding writing time, send a text message in no more than 2 seconds. Funny thing is, the more modern phones get, more complex is seems to become to do the simplest things. Apparently with the new LG Prada phone, which operates much like an iPhone with a touchscreen, it requires clicking through three menus just to get the number pad up. :wallbash:

11. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Probably from the fact that double nagatives can be confusing to understand sometimes.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not so. You get to the keypad either by tapping one icon on the main screen, or (during a call) by clicking a button on the side. That's it.

13. completemadness

completemadness New Member

yeah it can take a minute to work out what someone was actually saying when they start using multiple negatives

14. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

Correct. I'm tired and not feeling well, so I guess my grammar took a dive. :wallbash:

15. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish New Member

I still can't see whats special about the iPhone *at all*

It's essentially a standard PDA/Phone hybrid device (theres too many of these around to count) in a shiny casing and with a shiny GUI...

On the negative side, from what i've read it'll have a incredibly locked down OS, that will not run 3rd party apps unless they are signed by apple.

Microsoft did that on the first windows mobile phones and eventually had to relent and make the application signing voluntary rather than mandatory due to it being universally hated by the consumers.
    (I remember the *fun* of having to manually hack my first windows phone by copying code to the phone while it was booting up, but before the security policy got applied, to break the code-signing :p )

In short, the application lockdown makes it worse than any other hybrid PDA/Phone out there.

related link: http://www.slipperybrick.com/2007/01/jobs-says-apple-iphone-os-x-not-open-like-mac/

Last edited: 23 May 2007
  16. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Meh - I'll have one on day of release -

I'll let you guys know how good/bad it is.....

17. Aankhen

Aankhen New Member

Heh. The whole mobile phone industry in North America is so completely anti-consumer, one wonders why they even bother pretending to be otherwise.

18. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Meh, my phone has a touchscreen, WiFi, GPS, plays videos and music with album art whilst updating the music everytime I connect it to my PC, MSN messenger, Live Local, hotmail, syncs all my contacts, emails and calendar entries to Outlook, syncs all my notes to OneNote, has Word, Excel and Powerpoint, a decent 2mp camera, FM radio, expandable memory, changable battery and endless 3rd party apps. Anyone would think the iPhone would be a downgraded product with a highly upgraded price ;)

<A88>

19. fev

fev Industry Fallout

*hugs vast phone collection*

still a fan of my p990, but then the n95 camera is better and more multimedia focused but then the spv m700 does both but with a worse camera.

Gah it's too much

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

To be honest I can see the iPhone hitting the spot just right.

Personally, I haven't got a use for fancy features like WiFi, GPS, and video playback, 3G and e-mail access and endless 3rd party apps.

The iPhone hits the spot I'd most want if I didn't have a massive music collection - it's a functional, sleek, stylish phone (with all the usual gubbins), combined with an MP3 player, all in one device. I think it's what a lot of people will want, but the downside is the price. Ain't it always the truth.

fev - you have far too many phones. :p

Tags: Add Tags