1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iPhoto library craziness

Discussion in 'Software' started by NoahFuLing, 4 May 2008.

1. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

Hey, so since I don't shoot RAW (at least not on this camera), I'm going to be using iPhoto for the time being. However, I get some really quirky things happening.

Occasionally, when I click the button to make a photo full screen, it just blacks out, and I have to go back to the window and maximize it again. What's going on there?

Second, I'm wondering whether I should have iPhoto copy the photos to my library, or just have it reference the ones on my external hard drive. I don't want my internal drive filling up, although I guess I'll just delete the crappy photos when I start filling up. Any thoughts?

2. NoahFuLing

Bump. It's a curiousity thing, nothing more. Worst comes to worst, I'll just import them all - I just don't want to be stuck with something that will inconvenience me.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

No idea what's going on with the black screen thing... have the latest version?

For any photo management software, I like to end up with no less than two copies of my photos. Which as I tend to shoot a good gig worth of photos at a time at least, that adds up very quickly. There's nothing wrong with having it work entirely off the external drive, other than the natural issue of not having the external with you if you're on the road or whatever - though if you've got a desktop that's probably not a problem. I do just that for my music library (and probably would for my photos if Lightroom supported it better): set my music folder to a network share, and have everything copy into there. Between music, podcasts, audiobooks, and video content, my library is somewhere in the 60+ GB range, which doesn't really sit too well alongside my 40+ gigs of photos on a 120GB drive that also holds my apps, documents, and everything else (and people wonder why I hate laptops).

4. NoahFuLing

I have a MacBook Pro with the 200GB 7200RPM drive, and I currently have 160GB free (I still need to install Final Cut Pro, but I'm getting an external FW drive for that). I have a 750GB for data, and a 500GB for Time Machine, both of which sit on my desk. I'm definitely going to leave a copy of my photos on the external drive. Ah well, I guess I'll keep a local copy, and the worst that happens is that I start actually sorting through what's in my iPhoto library, right? :p On that note, if I delete something from iPhoto, does it delete it from the Library (the copy), or just the link to it? I don't want to have to sort through the Library folder manually to delete stuff. I can't imagine an Apple product being so stupid, but then again...

Tags: