1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other iPod - Classic or Touch?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sp4nky, 26 Oct 2011.

1. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I'm considering getting a new iPod and I wondered whether people had views on what model I should get or whether there's another large-capacity music player I should consider.

My music collection is around 120GB at the moment whereas my current iPod (a Nano) has a mere 8GB capacity, so I'm going to need a new music player in the near future. I'm considering getting an iPod Classic (160GB) but looking at Amazon's website, I see the 64GB iPod Touch is only £100 dearer so I was wondering whether anyone had it and what they do - is it worth the extra money?

Or is there another music player I should consider? Ideally it would have to be able to play ALAC files but I could see about FLAC instead.

2. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Not meaning to be a bit of an ass, but it really is quite self-explanatory really. iPod touch if you want an iPod touch, and iPod classic if you only listen to music. Like any modern touch screen mobile device, the iPod touch lets you do pretty much anything you want or expect.

Sound quality, the iPod touch does sound better; the classic sounds quite constrained and often harsh in comparison. The classic offers more than twice the storage, as you can tell. Through iPod headphones, don't bother fussing about how they sound, they will both sound pretty crap.

3. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I have the 64GB ipod, i probably should have got the 32gb and now I am thinking my android phone would do a fair job of replacing either. I have jailbreaked the thing, the only app I use (SB setting) actually makes the thing more like android!

Also have a large music collection that I have collected over the past decade or more, stored via network and the main issue I am having is cataloguing and syncing albums across, particularly since I do not buy my tracks from itunes. With 8gb you can probably have few stray badly tagged tracks floating around but the more capacity the more of a night mare this becomes. I had used media monkey to sync and catalogue the tracks with my old 30gb ipod classic but it does not work as well for my touch, it syncs half the time and the other day I had to restore the ipod which is a pain. itunes is rubbish for tracking and administering libraries. Looking for an alternative program now.

4. sp4nky

Such as? I mean, it's not a phone, so how much of a mobile device is it? Right now I just listen to music but what am I missing out on?

This was aimed at lamboman, in case that's not clear.

5. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

The iPod Touch does everything the iPhone does other than being a phone ofc. You'll need WiFi access for any web stuff mind.

Personally, I have a phone for all the web stuff, games etc. so I'd just get the classic. But really, it's up to you. You got a decent smartphone? Then the touch probably won't do much for you. Don't have one, but wanna play games and stuff on the move? The touch is the better investment.

6. ClaggyPants

ClaggyPants What's a Dremel?

I have a 160GB classic and use this exclusively indoors connected to a custom built bb-cmoy amplifier and it sounds great. To be honest though, for the sake of portibility i would go for the touch. Better out of the pocket sound and the apps - great fun on the daily commute.
    For that though i have an android phone hence the classic for my tunes.

7. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

I got both, i do like the touch more, but its only 8GB which is annoying

8. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

coming from a guy with an ipod touch (who doesnt use it anymore) its not worth it. the 'games' get dull quickly, and the only good apps from the app store need mobile internet or wifi, and wheres the fun in that if you cant use it wherever you are.

id either get a touchscreen smartphone like the samsung galaxy sii or an iphone 4s (both of which are probably better than your current phone, so two birds with one stone). as i say, imo games on mobiles are pretty crappy and get boring quickly, but there are good apps out there but the majority require internet to use.

if you only want to listen to music then just get a classic but if you want the 'apps' and the touchscreen, id just get a media oriented smartphone like galaxy or iphone.

having said all that, the ipad you can get with 3g so that may be something to consider

9. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

As said before by TheKrumpet said, basically, everything an iPhone does sans the phone. I was trying to avoid saying that, but that pretty much sums it up.

Games, video, web browsing, push communications...the list goes on, and it's too big to go through. Because it literally does anything that you can really think of, and you could go as far as saying anything a computer does, but in a basic form.

Worth it? I'd say that having more media is better than having more apps and features, but that's just me. A nice device that just works, I'd say.

10. daverobson08

daverobson08 What's a Dremel?

As anecdotal as this may sound, my sister and I have both had the hard drives in our 80gb iPod Classics fail. This was after around two years usage and we both treated them well.

This may be something to consider although I don't know how prevalent the issue is

11. enterobsidian

enterobsidian Hopless World Wonderer

As everyone else has said, it really seems to come down to personal choice. I have had a first gen shuffle, 8GB and 64GB touches and an iPhone 4. They really are aimed at very different markets. The below are some thoughts on the various devices.

The shuffle was aimed at the sporty and gym going market, as something that would hold your music and you could just play it in the order it was in. No display to crack, small, light, easy to use. You hit play and off you went. I liked it for that.

The iPod touch seems to be aimed at those who have a decent cheap phone that they like, and don't really want an iPhone. Plays movies and games, but you would really need to have a play with one and see if you like it before you consider buying one. They are similar to any smartphone, so have a play around with a mate's phone if you can to see if you would like it.

The iPhone is really aimed at, let's face it, the flashy git market. I got one because I don't really want to waste time getting things to work, and the fact that everyone has a charger or dock for an apple product. It does everything an iPod does, but you can also phone and text and run up massive data bills on it.

One thing you might want to consider about the classic vs touch is that the touch uses a flash based memory, and AFAIK the classic uses an actual hard drive. Fine if you sit about listening to music, but if you excerise with it, you could destroy the hard drive in it if you aren't careful.

My only piece of advice that I will press upon you is to buy a decent case for whatever you choose, it protects it from damage. But choose wisely - an awful case will not make it a pleasure to use, and you'll give it up quickly. I have a case that opens like a book on my touch, and I don't like it. I'm going to change it soon.

Hope this helps
    enterobsidian

12. sp4nky

I'm specifically avoiding the iphone because of the exhorbitant cost involved. On PAYG the 64GB 4S costs £700 upfront or if you want to pay even more, the pay monthly costs still involve a huge upfront charge and still end up paying shed loads on the monthlys. Also, anything smaller than the 64GB version really isn't worth considering, for me.

Getting back to the Touch, what apps do people use? My phone is a basic Nokia and I like that - I just use it for texts and the occasional photo - but it doesn't do anything really "smart". Heck, it doesn't even do Facebook, so this whole 'apps' thing has passed me by. What am I missing?