1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding ipod + drive bezel = my new mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by toidiochysp, 10 Jan 2005.

1. Bones

Bones What's a Dremel?

I've had the idea of building a dock for my ipod into my case for a very long time but never actually done it. I was thinking of doing it another way but i like the way you are gonna do it. And yea velvet would probably make a nice surface to keep it from scratches.

So cut her up already!!! :dremel:

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've only had mine since Xmas and it's already pretty scratched. I've since stopped putting other things in my iPod pocket.

3. toidiochysp

toidiochysp What's a Dremel?

i stated earlier, or rather someone posted my idea, that i am going to be using a zip tie to hold the two tabs of the locking mechanism together so i can just slide it in and out

4. Lourens

Lourens What's a Dremel?

What about static electricity built up when you move the plastic iPod along the velvet? That might get nasty.

Perhaps you could use those self-adhesive strips you stick to the door frame to keep cold air from coming in on the inside? And some sort of brushes along the sides of the hole?

5. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Erm... You're more likely to get static in your pocket.. static = no harm to an iPod

And, being in a drive bay, It's most likely far enough from other parts in the computer to not cause any harm... I wouldn't worry about it.

6. NoCoolOnesLeft

NoCoolOnesLeft What's a Dremel?

well, i cut up my bezel, and for padding, I used styrofoam, and duct tape on the inside of the hole after i sanded it. i gotta protect my shiney baby. sry for thead hijack :p after this, i'm gonna file all the duct tape off of the front of the bezel so it's just on the inside. hopefully it won't look too bad. my first time cutting plastic with a dremel! it freakin melted from the friction, and i had to file these big balls of melted plastic off the bezel. :wallbash: /hijack

but i hope yours comes out better than mine did :thumb: :dremel:

7. toidiochysp

i'll probally get mine finnished later today if i can drag myself to my basement to work on it seeing as how my server needs help anyways. and i'm not going to be velvet i have another idea.

8. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Wouldn't a grounded case prevent static build up anyway?

Good luck with the mod.

9. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

I saw someone do this a few years ago with a first gen ipod - the one that had a 6pin firewire jack in the top as the only way to sync it. He had to slide it in top first instead of bottom first.

Very cool - maybe I should do one too....
    (Rumor has it that the new Mac Mini was supposed to have an integrated iPod doc, but that they scrapped the idea... Too bad.)

10. toidiochysp

this project is officially on hold my dremel died and i have no money to replace it with

11. toidiochysp

i have some good news :D

i took my dremel apart the other night, put it back together and it worked!!!!! i picked up some new bits and i hope to finnish this tomorow :D

12. kongen

kongen What's a Dremel?

Don't want to sound rude but doesn't this forum require pictures? I thought no pictures = no posting. I just want to see your pretty pictures of what you are talking about thats all.

13. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

:read: for then you will find that pictures are a plenty on the first page (if they dont load for you try "view page source" and copy the links directly to your address bar)

14. MRKIKKOMAN5645

MRKIKKOMAN5645 What's a Dremel?

yea i would prob line the back of yr drive bezel with a piece of plexi so the ipod does not get scratched cuz those things scratch VERY easily.... one of the few flaws of the ipod

15. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I would seriously consider putting some kind of soft edging or rubber around the edges and inside of this thing. It will get scratched up like crazy if you don't.

16. Feline

Feline What's a Dremel?

You know you're a computer geek when...You've got a dedicated "iPod pocket" :D !

17. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

lol, best quote of the day! yea, im a computer geek...i had to rearrange which pocket i put my cell phone in when i got my iPod. nothing else goes in that pocket. no keys, no pens, nothing.

[edit] i was just conversing with my diabolical and very inspirational sibling and we have come to the conclusion that tha iPod has become to this generation what the chewing tobacco container was to the last generation: the one thing that will make a threadbare spot in your jeans because you carry it all the time. just think about it. 20 years down the road, youre gonna look back at some old clothes and see this same little rectangle wear spot and think "ahh yes, my iPod years" and then turn on the latest rock song with your mind via the mind to neck band link to the new platinum chain iPod you just had installed. [/edit]

Last edited: 29 Jan 2005
  18. toidiochysp

nah it gets bad when you have a cell phone on one side of your belt, an ipod on another, a cordless phone next to the cell phone, and a 2 way radio next to the ipod

*whistles*

19. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

im actually to the point where if i get one more piece of portable, always carried technology, i will require a sturdy belt and alot of device belt clips, because im running out of pockets.

not that i would be averse to that sort of thing...

20. ciaran.mooney

ciaran.mooney Minimodder

Your nads are going to be glowing green with all that EM radiation around.

Ive taken to not putting my phone and iPod in the same pocket, dont want to risk those microwaves fecking the hard disk. Paranoid, yes, willing to douse my groin in radiation or save a couple of hundred quid. Damn right!