1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple ipod nano!?!

Discussion in 'Software' started by icarus, 24 Sep 2005.

1. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

hey dunno bout all you USA guys but we've had alot of advertising for the ipod nano over in blighty and was wondering if you guys actually had the official nano adverts and if you have a price yet, for those who havent seent he ad its absolutely tiny with a colur screen the size of a stamp, its a scaled down version of the ipod mini and claims to store 1,000 tracks.
    well if anyone has a confirmed or even a roumered price can you post a link for me and everyone else.
    cheers
    icarus
    :rock:
    -update- im stupid i should know by now its out in the uk amazon have all the links for all the sizes and styles of nano here at amazon nano links sorry if i was stupid -Update-

2. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

We have been getting tons of adds. Its about 250 bucks from what I hear. But the screen is so freaking small, its hard to read. Dont sit on it!

3. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I haven't seen ads for it actually, but then again I gave up on TV for the most part.

Which reminds me... I need to abuse my 2yr bestbuy warrantee on my 20gb Gen4 and get a color upgrade :)

5. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

I have the apple nano. It is FREAKEN small. It feels like a big credit card. It's ridiculous and the color is awesome. It is almost perfect except for one MAJOR MAJOR FLAW.

The nano comes with 2 colors. White and black. Now they really wanted the nano to be "shiny" so what they did was they made the entire front made of plexiglass and the entire back made of polished chrome like. This creates a HUGE and i mean HUGE problem for fingerprints. The second HUGE problem is the front scratches like no other. You get SO MANY finger prints that your'e constantly wiping the screen which evidently makes lots and lots of scratches. I've had my nano for a week and it looks like i've had it for months. There is NO way around it. You can of course, buy yourself a nano cover, but with a 4-6weeks estimated delivery time, that was not at the top of my list. If you buy this, do NOT i repeat do NOT buy it without a case. And do not EVER take it out of the case. It will get killed with scratches!!!!!!

6. Firehed

well that's true of normal iPods too. Mine's even got a nice dent in the back to boot. Fingerprint and scratch magnet, but it still works fine and if light isn't glaring on it it's not too obvious. And I'd rather keep it thin and scratched than protected with an iCondom and adding a big chunk of rubber into my pocket.

7. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

lol thats true.. i guess if u wanna sell it later..

8. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

can a nano use regular mp3's? i have a ll my cd's ripped on to my computer, and i don't want to pay 99 cents a song to fill a nano if i get one

9. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

You can use more than just regular mp3s..

10. ciaran.mooney

ciaran.mooney Minimodder

Yeah they will play normal MP3's too. But you'd be better off re-encoding your CD's to AAC, much better codec than MP3.

11. StEvEzAsYcHo

StEvEzAsYcHo What's a Dremel?

The Nano.. I would get one, but 200-250 USD is a touch out of my price range.. Plus I have my 3g 15 GB that I have yet to completely fill.. Scratches.. Mine has scratches galore.. The screen is PAINFULLY hard to read, especialy in sunlight.. Im thinkin of making a new case for it though.. Just need to decide WHAT to make it out of.. As said, I dont have a figerprint problem anymore.. I have so many scratches on mine, that fingerprints are never visible..

12. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Scratches seem a very a common problem with the Nano... article here.

13. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

hey just a suggestion but to avoid finger prints get a pack of those screen defenders that they sell for palm tops and clie's then trim it to fit, come off easy enough wehn u want it to then replace it every now and then,
    icarus

14. I'm_Not_A_Monster

but this should have been fixed before they were sold, because most poeple buy an iPod nano because it's an iPod nano. what percent of people will actually use this as a photo album? now how many soulless hipsters do you know that will buy one just because it is popular and looks pretty?

that sad fact is, apple probably cheaped out and bought low quality plastic to make a wider profit margin.

15. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

...You find me a non-scratching plastic that doesn't show fingerprints, and then get back to me kthx.

16. Firehed

Well my Lian Li shows fingerprints... as does, umm... anything transparent.

I can't blame apple for creating a product that sells itself, but I do agree it's idiotic to buy an iPod of some sort just to say "I have an iPod". That said, I have an iPod. I just didn't get it because everyone else has one.

17. I'm_Not_A_Monster

just because we don't have diamond faceplates doesn't mean they have an excuse for using jello for the faceplate. my glasses have barely any scratches on them and i clean them with my canvas/black denim-y jeam material apron at work. there isn't a perfect plastic, but there are better ones to use in a scratchy environment

18. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

My thoughts exactly, I was like wtf? Heard of it a while ago. Just need to go to Apples site, they'll have the latest news. It looks pretty kickass, but $200 is alot of dough. Lets just say I can't make any cookies. :sigh:

[/corny joke]

19. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

Your glasses are more than likely glass...

Glasses....Glass...I know the connection is a tough one to make, but struggle through it. Bear with me here.

You may be talking about safety glasses, which do get many many scratches on them. Very small, but they're there. Same as an iPod face. Also, the plastic in safety glasses is much, much thicker than that on an iPod. You want 4mm plastic on your iPod nano? Would practically double the size...

20. I'm_Not_A_Monster

actually, most glasses are made of polycarbonate, since razor sharp peices of glass in your eye hurt. i know the connection might be hard to make... for you

[/dons asbestos banana hammock]

i don't mean any offense if you try not to be so quick to make fun of someone and make yourself an ass in the future, deal?

.:EDIT:. come to think of it, i think all glasses are made of polycarbonate nowadays, just like all car windows (or at least windshields) are safety glass

Last edited: 26 Sep 2005
Tags: