1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays IPS or 120 hz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by czm, 16 Sep 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czm

czm New Member

Hi all.
    I am really struggling to decide on a new monitor and hoping you good folks can guide in the right direction.
    Currently have a Dell 2407WFP and it has been ace. I am purely after the best option for fps gaming.
    I was just about to go for the Dell 2410 IPS but then started looking at the 120hz monitors.
    I have been looking at the new Samsung 750 LED 120hz.
    So they are my two options???
    The Dell 2410
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-036-DE&groupid=17&catid=510&subcat=

Or

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-164-SA&groupid=17&catid=1425&subcat=
    My main issue of the Samsung is that I will be going from a 24'' 1920x1200 to a 23'' 1920x1080.

So simple question.... Which one for the best gaming performance/experience???

Will the 120hz Samsung give any advantage on online FPS gaming against standard 60hz?
    Smoother? Better hit reg? More precise?

2. Bede

Bede Well-Known Member

120hz is pointless unless you can consistently produce 120fps in game. Get the IPS panel :)

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

IPS panel
    /thread

Elaboration - IPS has far better colours, better viewing angles, better at making your breakfast. The human eye can't see a difference between 60Hz and 120Hz so it is a total waste of money unless you want 3D gaming. And if you do, forget about it and get the IPS Panel as it is far better quality.

4. czm

czm New Member

Shoudl be possible...From what I have read the 120hz has a massive advantage in FPS gaming over the standard 60hz

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

'Massive' is going to be 'little to none' as the human eye can't see above 40Hz...

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

evidence ?

7. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

please do not make your eyes bleed, get the IPS panel :thumb:

8. czm

czm New Member

Only going by somebodies opinion in other interwibble write ups...nothing proven.

I am currently getting around 120fps in BFBC2, from my understanding the 120hz monitor should be a fraction smoother..would this be the case?

If I am looking for the best colour reprodcution then IPS is the way to go.
    If I am looking for the best gaming performance then 120Hz woudl be the best option?

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

The first part is true but the second part is a common misconception - I can set my camera flash to last for 1/10,000 of a second and you will still see it go off. But that's not an argument in favour of 120Hz, which is mostly a big marketing gimmick.

@ OP, 60Hz is plenty, and some of us actually like motion blur, so... get an IPS screen and forget about silly/unnecessary FPS that will drain your wallet.

And the U2410 has more to offer than just colour reproduction (you probably won't even calibrate it anyways, so the real superiority of IPS colour is a by-the-by...): much better viewing angles, much better whites, much better build quality and longevity, much better connectivity (who needs stupid HDMI), and much better picture quality. :)

10. noizdaemon666

No best gaming performance and best colour reproduction = IPS. As mentioned a few times in this thread, the human eye cannot see the difference between anything above ~40Hz. 120Hz, 6000Hz. All the same thing to us bipeds.

Now, if you were a pigeon, you'd see a definite difference in smoothness between 60 and 120Hz :lol:

And LennyRhys, I'm not sure you can compare refresh rate of a monitor to a camera flash. I'm not sure how to explain my reasoning behind this though :(

Edit: The refresh rate determines smoothness, we can't perceive a difference of anything above ~40Hz. But to me, this doesn't mean we can't something that lasts for 1/10,000th of a second. If something flashed on screen completely different to what was being viewed on a 120Hz monitor, I think we would see it.

Does any of that make sense? I think my logic may be flawed tbh lol

Last edited: 16 Sep 2011
  11. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Well-Known Member

IPS.

Best upgrade I ever made.

/thread

TSB

12. mucgoo

mucgoo Well-Known Member

If your gaming then the better contrast/quality of an IPS may help you pick out the guys in the bush slightly easier.

13. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

IPS is not best for FPS gaming due to the input lag on the panel. This is negligible for most people but if the OP is looking for the best FPS monitor then the TN panel with a lower input lag would be better.

120Hz is only really for 3D gaming, not much benefit if you plan to stay within the usual 2 physical dimensions.

Tft bit on input lag: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/featurescontent.htm, admittedly it is talking about LCD vs CRT but they do mention the input lag being high on the U2410 and U2711 in those reviews.

Something like this Samsung monitor would be better for FPS gaming at high level but IPS wins for everything else, I have a Dell U2711 and have never noticed any lag in games such as L4D2, Dirt3, JC2 etc....

14. czm

czm New Member

Im not interested in 3D gaming its purely for best performance to give me the edge...a point I also thought was that I currently turn my settings down on a number of online games to aid in better viewing of enemies ect so 120Hz may be the better option.

But the IPS quality is soo tempting....

15. Bede

Bede Well-Known Member

People who have actually used 120hz (rather than bit-tech's IPS evangelists :p) say there is a notable difference *when* you can achieve 120fps. This is not to say you should get one, or that they are superior to IPS, because they are not. IPS is not the holy grail, it is just the current superior technology.

The most recent IPS panels reduce the ghosting and lag from early IPS panels, so there is even more reason to get one. The Dell U2410 is a good screen - go for it.

16. Showerhead

Showerhead New Member

Not that i am arguing against the IPS but you most certainly can see above 40 HZ. There is no real cut off for the human eye it varies between people and the contrast of the colours being switched will also play a part. See the camera flash example above. Of course is there any advantage to be gained above 30-40 Hz i doubt it. I dont know anybody with a reaction time less than even a 20th of a second.

17. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

the samsung 2233rz seems the best for fps gaming.. yeah guess some people like the blur and lag who knows xD- but if your into fps gaming and want something other than a crt (interested in like cs).. that would be a good monitor to get- they are gamer oriented

ips is not for fps gaming.. but can be used for casual or single and is a must if you do any kind of work on it- like photoshop

bede recommendation of the dell might be good too.. he seems to know what he's talking about!

18. noizdaemon666

If you can't shoot someone when you're at 60Hz, but you can at 120Hz because "I sawed him movez 0.008 seconds soona" then you need to re-evaluate your skills lol

An IPS Evangelist lol

Edit: I think we're all misunderstanding what I be saying, for smoothness there won't be a discernible difference (on average) between 60Hz and 120Hz. Yes we can all see things that take less time to happen than 1/120th of a second purely because of how the eye works.

My rather badly worded replies were supposed to say that he'd basically be better off with the IPS because input lag and stuff like that shouldn't affect (on average).

So IPS is rubbish for first person shooters....swiftly followed by recommending an IPS monitor. Colour me confused lol

Last edited: 16 Sep 2011
  19. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

IPS. Literally. IPS.

20. czm

czm New Member

Understand what you are saying and thanks for the input but on the other side of the coin from what I can gather from readin around, there is an improvement (however slight or not) in gaming performance of the 120hz.
    As you say maybe the average casual gamer might not notice/not care, I am not saying for one moment that I am any other than average but as I use my PC 99.99% for gaming..the 'slight' advantage would would better suit my requirments???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.