1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iron Ice:Update:4|09|04 :: Airbrushing Endeavors

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by [t0rc], 12 Jan 2004.

1. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

An aluminum case. I'm open to all comments good or bad, and please gimme ur suggestions. BTW I'm testing this server, I'm not sure what the bandwidth limit is, but if you start getting red x's or errors, post me and I will change the server. On to the pictures:
    [​IMG]
    ^^ A picture of all the pieces that I'm using for the case. Although they do not account for the multiple pieces I had to recut when I milled the ends completely wrong. lol.
    [​IMG]
    ^^ This is a closer view of the brackets that I'm going to use to hold up the drives, and psu. They have a sticky side, but I'm not too sure I want to stick that to something, drive or mounting bar. I'd rather be able to move it around and change drives. Those brackets, I opted to use them, hopefully to provide more cooling for the HD and other components.
    [​IMG]
    ^^ Well this is just the end of a piece of the aluminum extrusion. It's in the vice, because I had just started tapping all of the holes in the pieces for screws. bye bye drill...
    [​IMG]
    ^^ This is the beginning of the frame. I forgot to photograph most of the rest. :wallbash: After getting to this point, I proceeded to assemble the top 1/2 of the case and then set it in for measurements. I went ahead and cut the pieces of aluminum accordingly and then use a router bit on a drill press to do the edges of them so they would fit snugly in the T-Slot of the extrusion. The aluminum sheets are like this:
    Code:
    Alum // Heavy duty plastic // Alum    <---- total width being 1/4"
    [​IMG]
    ^^ This is a picture of the state that the case is currently in. I finished the sides and put them in. Now I need to work on the window, the drive cuts, and the I/O holes, etc.
    [​IMG]
    ^^ Heres another picture of it open. Well You can see the extra bars on the inside that will be holding up the drives and I may add another set to hold up the psu in back. Not sure yet.
    [​IMG]
    ^^ Heres a picture of it closed. w0w. bet you couldn't have guessed that? lol. Anyway, keep in mind the aluminum sheets still have protective plastic on them. This thread will continue to be updated when I have the time and have done something worth noting. I'll try to reply ASAP. Well, post away please!!

Last edited: 9 Sep 2004
  2. Dragosoft

Dragosoft What's a Dremel?

Looking good!
    I speak for everybody; We want pics, we want pics :hehe:
    Happy :dremel:

3. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

pics.

LOL. Dragosoft, thnx for the encouragement. and you posted while I was editing that message and putting more pics on it. lol.

4. Dragosoft

5. Dragosoft

Looking even better... We still want more pics... :hehe:
    nice job :thumb:

6. Incorpirate

Incorpirate What's a Dremel?

very nice!
    want more pics!!! :D

7. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

I/O Problem

As of right now I do not have the motherboard. You can see in a few of the above pictures a bar is loose on the top, well thast supposed to be like that until I screw it down. It's for the removable side. It slides up and out and gives you access to insides very easily. My issue at hand with the mobo, is that I'm going to be getting an ATX mobo of course, but I havent decided on a board yet and I would like to cut the holes for the I/O stuff in the back and the PCI slots. Is there somethin that comes with the mobo or should I wait for the mobo or is there some pattern that I can cut that will fit all ATX mobos?? :sigh:

8. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

You should get a backplate with the mobo. I'm pretty sure they're not really standard, especially on good ones!

9. dom_

dom_ --->

i only see red crosses :waah:
    good text though :)

10. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Pics are fixed. gimme a heads up if it happens again...

11. dom_

dom_ --->

ahhh much better, looking good too

12. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looking good kinda reminds me of a breifcase mod.. or something lol..

13. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Where do you get that extruded alluminum?

14. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

getting X's

edit: ok that was strange.... x's when i replied, there when i go back....

15. Gedron

Gedron What's a Dremel?

Pics loading fine for me.

16. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Ahh i see you've joined the 80/20 club...very nice :)

17. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Answers and Question...

If the pics arent showing for you, just right click and go to "show picture", should work then.

Answers:

<ZapWizard> Here: http://www.parker.com
    A more direct link: http://www.parker.com/ead/cm1.asp?cmid=110
    You may find more stuff by doing a search on Aluminum or Extrusion. Get to the search by clicking product directory or its at the bottom.

<scopEDog> Perhaps a n00b question, but what is your 80/20 club?? :wallbash:

Question: Are all faceplates on like cd-rom drives the same size pretty much? Roughly...

Info:
    Later today I'll put up an idea I drew for windows and fan placements. And I'll comment a little bit on an idea I have with some red-chrom Dupli-color MetalCast paint.

18. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

*hold*

Due to some extreme complications :sigh: , I'm putting this project on hold for a while. Hopefully I will get back to it. My guess is sometime during Feb. Well sorry for those of you who were waiting for more updates....if anyone was... :worried: :waah:

19. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

sorry to hear that :( it happens though, hope to see it up later, you had a nice-lookin start

20. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

super mini small upd8

Well actually I wouldn't even call this an update. The fans just arrived, well two of them. I'm thinking about having like 4-5 fans altogether...or scrap em and WC the whole thing. Anyways, here quick, blurry pic of em:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Jan 2004