1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Iron Man how close are we to that technology??

Discussion in 'General' started by Archtronics, 9 May 2010.

1. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Didnt really know were to put this I was just wondering peoples views and thoughts on the matter.

Basicly how close do you think we are to the kind of technology seen in tony starks suit and house, the army already uses a leg system to help solidiers carry heavy back packs, there are also several robotic suits in development but that do you think ???

Open to debate.

2. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

No where near :p The weapons I can understand the issue I think we are yet to overcome is the controlling of the robot. There is a famous professor who managed to plug his nervous system into a robot and control a robot so that it copied his hand exactly. This was only a hand and required a lot of power and also 6 what he called "extremely painful" tubes to be inserted into his wrist. Its not really viable for the whole body etc, and if you did do it you would have to wear the suit at all times, as doing it weakens that area.

So the main issue at the moment is control I think.

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I would say power is the biggest issue. Its one thing to be plugged into a wall, or to carry around a few hundred lbs of batteries. Its another to have a fantasy device that powers a suit and appears to have no real limit. Oh and weighs next to nothing. With no emissions. etc.

4. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

On the issue of power its been suggested that cold fusion may be a future tech.

5. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Why doesn't someone make a particle accelerator in their basement, and point it at a metal to see if it will make a powerful element like Tony Stark? Why doesn't Cern try it?

=/

6. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

Probably cos it costs quite a lot to build particle accelerators, its not basement-hobby territory :p

Besides, CERN has more important stuff to do (like breaking their multibillion dollar machine)

7. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Just because it's not super-effing-hot fusion doesn't mean it'll magically be the size of a nickel and be easy to carry around strapped to one's man-boobies.

Cold fusion (if it ever happens) will still produce enough heat to fuse your flesh to your bones and then burn them both to a crisp.

8. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

How close are we? Ask this guy! :lol: :duh:

Because any undiscovered elements would have a half-life of like 1 femtosecond (guess) due to being hugely massive (and the nuclear strong force being at its limit).

9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

You're talking about Prof. Kevin Warwick of the University of Reading, just in case nobody knows that and wishes to look it up. The man is a genius and a legend.

October likes this.
  10. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

About |--------------------------this-----------------------------| close

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'd rather have Jarvis

12. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I was being sarcastic.

13. weasal

weasal What's a Dremel?

Here's a slightly more 'optimistic' view at all this - Real Iron Man suit?

The amount of development to create a Stark level suit would make it an absolutely ridiculous project to fully undertake. Saying that I think it would be awesome if if were developed.

For now we can dream.

Chris

14. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

I'd say nowhere near that level of tech. We don't have power sources with high enough energy densities, we don't have computer systems that advanced that you can cram into a suit, we can't engineer a suit like that either. It's nice to dream though.

15. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

16. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Nuclear fusion research at JET. Used to live just down the road from these guys. Judging by the size of current reactors and their power draw (rather than generation,) I'd say we're still quite a way off.

http://www.jet.efda.org/

17. BrAdAsS

BrAdAsS What's a Dremel?

maybe it just needs a jump start in the form of powerful lasers concentrating on a single frozen piece of hydrogen to start fusing hydrogen and helium together... like the sun... lol

18. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Given the propulsion on the suit's boosters seems to be rocket based eg chemical energy, yet the suit seems to have no propellant reservoirs, I am a little confused to say the least!

Maybe I'm too much of a science newb but I don't see how nuclear energy could power a rocket.

19. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

If it has as much power as it seems, you might be able to superheat the air around the booster making it expand rapidly and that way push the suit in any direction. But .. Yeah .. Not really a very technical explanation.

20. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I've been working on this a few weekends now, expect to see something Q3 2010.