1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iron Man

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 2 May 2008.

1. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

most of the NZ film critics gave this like a 3/5. but i thoroughly enjoyed iron man

2. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

A - LoL. I forgot about Leonidas. I'm not a big fan of the movie though. Better than most, but still well below the two.
    B - Yeah, maybe adaptation was not a suitable word. I was just comparing the two with other comic book related movies.

3. Major

Major Guest

I really need to see this sometime, a few of my mates have said this is a great movie. ;)

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Great film. Highly recommended to all and sundry - just about the right balance of action, story, pimptastic ownage and sexy ladies.

Personally I can't wait for the next 'un. Great start to a summer of awesome films. :D

5. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I don't see why everyone is whining that "he would have a better car". Did nobody see the collection of supercars he had in his garage? As someone said, it was likely his new toy, and he used a Phantom (IIRC) for other day to day transport.

Great film, I really enjoyed it.

6. Krikkit

Because a playboy billionaire would probably have a more exciting collection than an R8, Saleen, Lotus Europa (I think, unless it's something like a Tesla), and an AC Cobra.

Great film though, decent special effects, the CGI wasn't too over-intrusive (a la Die Hard 4 imo).

7. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

It was a Tesla parked next to the Saleen.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Then again, perhaps he just wants something fast and practical. Tony Stark does not strike me as a character who is interested in exotic bling --he is a geek. He is a modder. He is interested in inventing things that other people haven't/can't, preferably with lots of gratuitous power and lots of things that go "bang". But he likes stuff that is purposeful, and works.

An Audi R8 would be a work car: it gets him places fast and reliably. For his hobby he has that 30's Ford hotrod (you know, the one with the flames and the exposed chrome engine). The other cars are probably just because he likes shiney new kit, but they are all fairly practical.

9. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

R8 is hardly practical, have you seen the size of the boot?
    Have yet to come across a fully reliable supercar. Even the Audi, with german engineering, has problems (the windscreen appears to have cracked in the heat on my dads)

10. Krikkit

I see your point Nexxo - I can see him liking many of the more "restrained" supercars, rather than having a big collection of 'borgs or similar, maybe something like a Veyron. Either way, doesn't really matter tbh.

11. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

did you watch the movie? the trunk space doesn't matter. he has his chauffeur drive his luggage for him in the bentley. or was it a rolls? i forget.

12. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

My ex-boss, multi-millionaire that he was, drove a Ford F-350 all the time, while his friends tooled around in their Bentley's and Mercedes. I don't see why everyone is griping about the cars he drove. I thought the film was great and will be there with bells on for the next film. I'm also looking forward to seeing Dark Knight, which ran a preview before the film. Also, I'm hoping The Incredible Hulk pans out better than that terrible Ang Lee version. Though the Hulk doesn't look as cool (at least from what I could tell from the preview). But Edward Norton is a great actor IMO and I hope the film is good.

13. Nexxo

I just want the suit, tbh.

14. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

It was a good movie, but honestly, there are so many superhero movies that it just feels cliche, it was one of the better ones though.

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i liked it, went to see it in the cinema and it was worth the money.

by the way the name for the bad guy suit is Iron Monger

edit: the only thing that i felt missing was a little robot fight action and some explanation on how his heart stops when the power stops (i know that he got operated and the power supply now fuels a pacemaker).

16. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

I usually really like comic book film adaptations, but this I don't get. I thought it was a load of nothing really...What did I miss?? Yeah, the suit and effects were nice, but as a film, I don't think its worth the 8.3 out of 10 mark on IMDB and get spot 130 on the top 250. That's just above The Deer Hunter / Platoon / The Sixth Sense. Are you sure?

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

the power supply powers an electro magnet that stops little pieces of metal ripping his heart to pieces, these pieces cant be removed as there stuck in the heart muscle.

TBH i looked at the film in the sense of it being something new, that followed a little of the comic, like spiderman did. Ironman was a good film, many people seem to care to much about product placement and the car he drives but who cares! The film runs closer to Batman begins, it shows how Ironman came about, the real story will begin in the next two planned films.

I must say this has put a big smile on my face for the summer, plus Indi soon!

18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i saw something about the the pacemaker on wikipedia... cant seem to find it now.

as for the shrapnel pieces.....

A) pepper pots removes the original power source and magnet and substitutes it with only a power source, how does this power source prevent the shrapnel from entering his heart

B) how does his heart stop if there is no power present? shouldn't he continue walking normally?

there is a small'ish problem with the plot here, my friends commented on this to.

another thing that bothers me is.... did you see how deep the hole in his chest was?

19. Nexxo

That was probably a continuity error. The power source is supposed to have an electromagnet paired with it. Perhaps it was designed in.

His heart doesn't stop. But the small, sharp metalic shrapnel fragments (which are too small to be removed) start wandering again as they are essentially embedded in a beating heart, and this could result in local inflammatory response which may disrupt myocardial muscle activity, blood flow and co-ordinated electrical activity, resulting in angina. In theory. In the film I think it was just dramatic effect. :)
    The heart lies 5cm (2") below the sternum. Add another inch for skin and muscle layer, and for the protruding rim of the metal reactor "socket", and they were not that far off. But yeah, it looked a bit deep.

20. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

what about the when he substituted the new one with the old one? did it have a electromagnet? yeah, it looks like a continuity error.

yeah.... that's common knowledge these days.... :D

edit: spoiler overload!

Tags: