1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ironic maybe?

Discussion in 'General' started by herbs, 28 Oct 2006.

1. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

I was doing a search on the net looking for some american tv stuff and I came across an american fellow who likes british tv. Then I got to thinking about the US stuff I watch and thought it ironic the stuff I like from there. I suppose its a case of the green grass from the other side of the fence stuff.
    I absolutely love "How I met your mother" series at the momnet and I hear the american remake of the office is doing well in the state but the ballroom dancing stuff is killing even baseball in the US.
    I suppose what I'm saying is that although we are different cultures, some tastes are universal.

2. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

The american office while an extremely cheap rip is actually pretty funny - lots of new and differasnt material from the UK version too.

edit: and the secretarys hot.

3. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

QFT.

The Office (US) is one of my favorite shows now. We have the British show on our Netflix list. After all the Who's Line reruns and shows from the 70s/80s, it'll be nice to see something (relatively) fresh.

-monkey

4. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

The US version of The Office is abysmal. I saw the episode when they have the disco and I watched most of it through my fingers in horror at how wrong they'd got it. The Office ain't the The Office without Gervais' performance.

5. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

QFT.

If you look at the big picture it's not ironic really. Both the UK and the US have produced some great shows - both have produced some abysmal shows. Sometimes they work well when trans-alanticified (Apprentice), sometimes they don't (The Office).

It's true that the US and the UK have different general tastes and the quality of each genre of show reflects that. UK drama series are generally pretty shite but the comedies are generally pretty good. US dramas seem to be doing well recently. US comedies and sitcoms with a few exceptions are pretty dull.