1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Is 2014 the year that 4K goes mainstream?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 6 Mar 2014.

1. Acanuck

Acanuck New Member

I would argue that the jump from a 60Hz to a 120Hz+ panel is a far more noticeable experience than just higher pixel density.

Where is my 30" 120Hz 2560x1600 IPS panel?

For me, that's where the gap in the market is. If decent high refresh IPS panels hit the shelves, I'd buy one any day over a screen that just packs more pixels in.

2. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

the chart says 3 feet to notice difference between 40 inch 1080p and 4k wow that is going to be painful to the eye

3. DraigUK

DraigUK Member

Until you can pick up a 4k monitor plus a suitable graphics card to run it properly for less than £600 this won't go mainstream. £400 for the monitor and £200 for the card and it will.

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

No 2014 is not the year 4K goes mainstream. It could well be the year that well-off enthusiasts dive in though.

5. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Nice

Indeed. Isn't the whole point of AA to make up for less than "retina" resolution?

Nice move Apple.

And there's those stupid garden walls again.

For me the answer isn't in games or movies but in images and text. I deal with a lot of blueprints, many of which come on 11"x17" pages. If I display them on a standard 22" monitor I can't read the fine print unless I zoom in. If I print them to paper (600 DPI) that text is clear at the same viewing distance and size. Current standard monitors simply lack the resolution to be clear at the same size.

What I think may drive the adoption for computers is not games, TV, movies ... but people getting used to viewing pictures and text on higher DPI tablets (and phones) then asking: "but why does it look so bad on my much larger monitor? Is there a fix for that?" Of coarse it then falls on Microsoft and Apple to make it work better all on PCs.

6. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

+1 on this!

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Well they don't get any cheaper than this at the mo. 50" 4K TV that also runs 1080p at 120Hz for $550!

Clicky

8. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Hmm... My jumbotron (shown in my avatar) is almost obsolete. I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad. I've really enjoyed it and am not at all sorry that I built it. Thanks for the link - though it shows a much higher price ($850).

Tags: Add Tags