1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a 6-month warranty long enough for a hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sleepy_Sentry, 6 Aug 2008.

1. Sleepy_Sentry

Sleepy_Sentry What's a Dremel?

I am in the market for an external hard drive and am considering a 1 TB Western Digital My Book Studio Edition:
    http://www.wdc.com/en/buy/clearancedrives.asp?DriveID=374

Using a coupon, I get can the drive for $160.00 plus shipping, $80.00 cheaper than the Newegg price. However, the only drawback is that the drive only has a 6-month warranty. My thinking is this isn't a big deal because if a hard drive is going to die, it will more than likely do so right out of the box or a few weeks later. Is this wisdom correct (of course there are exceptions to everything) and do you think an external hard drive with a 6-month warranty is a safe buy?

2. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Depends on how you look at it. You are right in a sense that the drive, if it is going to fail at all, is most likely to do so when really new. But, what happens in the somewhat likely event that this death takes just over 6 months? I would walk right past myself.

3. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

TBH with the saving your making it's worth the gamble. It's a bit pot luck really fella Google test.

4. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

You'll also lose your data whether its still in warrantee or not, and I can't see these being exceptionally more unreliable than any other WD drives (desktop class that is), so I figure it's probably okay :)

5. Sleepy_Sentry

Sleepy_Sentry What's a Dremel?

Is reliability that much of an issue with WD drives? Would I be better off with another brand like Seagate?

6. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Not in my experience... but all Seagate drives carry a five year warranty as standard of course - if you want the extra security ;)