1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Is a KVM switch the best solution for me?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SchizoFrog, 12 Mar 2014.

1. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Hi people.

I am a novice when it comes to networking and while I am familiar with some aspects I am a complete n00b in others, as such I am asking for help.

I recently purchased an HP N54L MicroServer (Thanks again for the advice Gareth) and to start I would like to know the best way for me to connect my mouse and keyboard. I have 2 monitors and my TV connected that I switch between using nVidia's driver software on my PC. I would like to connect the MicroServer to my second monitor and then be able to control it with the same mouse and keyboard without physically switching between PC machines.
    I know there are KVM switches but these can be a little pricey and I have also heard that there are software solutions for this such as 'Synergy' (not to be confused with the NAS boxes) or even standard RDP, but I don't know which would offer the best solution for me or how to go about setting them up (although once I decide on a solution Google will become my friend I am sure). :)

My main use for the MicroServer will be to use it as a media server to store all video, music, documents and program set-ups and installs to be accessed by any computers on the network and to possibly handle my downloads, through uTorrent for example.
    I currently run MS Windows 7 Ultimate on my main PC and am thinking of installing that on the MicroServer too although as I mentioned above I am a n00b and so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have to gain a better understanding of my situation and requirements.

Thanks.

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

If you are just going to be administrating your server how about remote desktop

Otherwise a kvm is what you want.

3. SchizoFrog

Would I be right in thinking that you need to physically connect the mouse and keyboard to the server to install and set-up the OS, etc and once it is up and running you would then switch back to the usual PC?

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Yes, you would need to connect the peripherials temporarily until remote desktop is set up. Your other alternative is http://synergy-foss.org/ in case you got two monitors, but only one set of keyboard & mouse. But again, this comes in play after you installed the OS, for the install you need to physically connect at least a keyboard to the other device.

5. SchizoFrog

Yes, I have 2 monitors and I knew about Synergy as I mentioned in the original post. What I don't know is which would be the best option to use? What are the benefits of using Synergy rather than RDP? As even on their own website comments can be confusing and opinions seem not to be decisive one way or the other.

Further more, I believe that with Synergy I would be limited to access only with machines that have Synergy installed and running and also only while I am connected to my own, home network. While with RDP I can log in from any computer anywhere in the world, correct?

6. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

I use a microserver for media streaming (upnp dlna) and backups. And torrents and as a print server, virtual box and several other things I can't remember just now!

The Openmediavault operating system is on mine, is free, and (once installed) is entirely configured via a web browser from my main PC, hence no KVM required.

It's Linux based and offers typical NAS/server functionality, and is rock solid and a pleasure to tinker with.

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Well it's up to you what do you actually need. Remote desktop locks you out of the remote computer and shows you the desktop on other computer in a window. Synergy gives you control over the mouse cursor and keyboard on a remote computer, but it still displays on the connected monitor. So it's really up to what do you need it for. For example if you need that keyboard and mouse to let's say game on a big TV, then Synergy is what you need. On other side if all you need is to configure this or that once in a while, remote desktop is the logical choice.

For RDP, you still need to open a port on your router.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Synergy is like a kvm switch but software based. The difference between synergy and a kvm is synergy can only share keyboard and mouse between computers. A kvm can share keyboard monitor and mouse between computers. (Keyboard Video Mouse switch)

Remote desktop is a bit different. remote desktop allows you to view and control one computer from within another.

Each has their own use cases.

If you have a dedicated monitor per computer you can use synergy.

If you have to share a physical monitor between computers then you need a kvm.

If one computer has no monitor or keyboard attached you can use remote desktop.

This last option is what I'm suggesting. Take your current keyboard and mouse plug it into your server install the OS and allow remote desktop. After that's done plug your keyboard and mouse back into your main computer. Your server now runs with no keyboard monitor or mouse. Whenever you need to work on the server open a remote desktop session, do what you need to do then close the remote desktop session.

It's possible to view and control a computer over the Internet by using remote desktop. However there are things you would have to do to allow this and also to secure the connection. So only you could access your computer not Joe hacker.